• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Fat Free Sponge Cake

julie19

Silver Member
Here you go:

6 eggs
2 ounces self raising flour or cocoa powder if you want chocolate cake
9 tablespoons granulated sweetener
2 teaspoons orange or vanilla essence (up to you)

To decorate:
1 tub quark
Strawberries (as many or as few as you want)
2 teaspoons of vanilla or orange essence
6 Tablespoons Granulated sweetener

Whick up egg whites until stiff

In a separtae bowl whisk egg yolks with either the orange or vanilla essence & sweetener, add a 1/4 of the egg white & beat until pale yellow.

Add the flour gradually & fold into the mix carefully, when done add the rest of the egg whites & fold in.

Pour onto a swiss roll tin & bake in the over on 180 for about 10 to 12 mins, until golden & firm to the touch.

Take out of the oven, leave to cool, when cool cut in half.

Filling & topping:
Beat the quark with the orange or vanilla essence & sweetener, spread 3/4 on the bottom layer of the cake, slice the strawberries & put them on top of that, put the top of the cake on & use the rest of the filling to top with the rest of the strawberries.

Hope you like it!
Julie

julie19

Silver Member
Here you go:

6 eggs
2 ounces self raising flour or cocoa powder if you want chocolate cake
9 tablespoons granulated sweetener
2 teaspoons orange or vanilla essence (up to you)

To decorate:
1 tub quark
Strawberries (as many or as few as you want)
2 teaspoons of vanilla or orange essence
6 Tablespoons Granulated sweetener

Whick up egg whites until stiff

In a separtae bowl whisk egg yolks with either the orange or vanilla essence & sweetener, add a 1/4 of the egg white & beat until pale yellow.

Add the flour gradually & fold into the mix carefully, when done add the rest of the egg whites & fold in.

Pour onto a swiss roll tin & bake in the over on 180 for about 10 to 12 mins, until golden & firm to the touch.

Take out of the oven, leave to cool, when cool cut in half.

Filling & topping:
Beat the quark with the orange or vanilla essence & sweetener, spread 3/4 on the bottom layer of the cake, slice the strawberries & put them on top of that, put the top of the cake on & use the rest of the filling to top with the rest of the strawberries.

Hope you like it!
Julie
I forgot to say that it is 9 syns for the whole cake

*angie*

loves food and cooking
Oooh - I could make a choc orange sponge ... yumm .. maybe for taster night at class on tuesday!

thanks OP :D

Mmmm I will make this as my easter treat I think as I know I won't get any eggs! My daughter is only having 1 egg as well! :)

*angie*

loves food and cooking
Hi have just made the Chocolate and Orange Fat Free sponge at it is lovely! I used orange essence in the cake batter, and used 1oz cocoa powder/1oz SR flour.

As the cake has lots of flavour, I kept the filling simple and just used 0% greek yogurt, but I like the sharp contrast of cake and yogurt!

Took a photo of a 1 syn piece, to give people an idea of what you get for your syn :D

Thanks for the recipe Julie - I will try it again, adding chocolate essence in place of the orange, and flavouring the filling with orange instead.

Attachments

I took this cake to class on Tuesday and everybody loved it. Its so easy to make and keeps nice in the fridge, this will see me through my sweetie moments.

This is my first post on Minimins and i just wanted to say hi to everyone! I am definatly going to have a crack at this cake... it looks divine!

I made a chocolate cake using 2oz of cocoa and although it was lovely it was a bit strong and didn't rise very well. I think it would have been better if I had used half flour & half cocoa like angie did!

I did make a lovely filling/topping though:

Use 2 pots of Aldi virtually fat free strawberry fromage frais as the filling then dissolve 6 level tsp reduced sugar seedless rasberry jam (3 sins) with 6 tsp boiling water and spoon onto a punnet of rasberries. Stir until all berries are covered in the syrup then spoon onto the top of the cake.​

If you make the chocolate cake with 1/2 cocoa and 1/2 self raising flour it is lovely. Add a tub of quark for moistness and some chocolate chips and its even better!

Also I have tried lemon flavour and that is fab too!

hi made the fat free cake was scrummy but didnt like the filling used fromage frais instead of quark coz couldnt get any . anyone got any ideas that dont invole yogurt, fromage frais or quark and how many syns in cocoa thanksx

*angie*

loves food and cooking
cocoa is 4.5 per 28g/ounce

Jezebel - have you tried sweetening yogurt with sweetner? it can take the 'yogurtyness' away and trick the mind into believing it is cream - perhaps its worth a try it next time you have some yog in the house?

thanks will give it a go coz i realy do like the cake lol wonder if they would work as buns in cases rather than the flat swiss roll tin wouldnt have to fill them at all then x