Fat Girl Running

losingit

Silver Member
Something really weird has happened to me the past few weeks. For the first time in my life, i can run. Not only that, i am enjoying it so much i'm doing it 4 times a week! Back when i was at school, i remember dreading cross country running and always being the last to finish and hating every moment.

I'm pretty heavy at 15 stone, and also have had surgery on my knee when i was a teenager, so i have to be careful. My exercise journey started out with kettlebells, which i found built up the muscles in my legs really well, which in turn stabilised my knee and almost miraculously stopped any niggles that i might have had. Fast forward in time a couple of months, and i sign up under a personal trainer at the local boxing gym, because i love boxing. It was my trainer's "fault" for putting me on the treadmill, something i've never really done in the past. I refused to run at all claiming i couldn't do it for about 3 weeks, then eventually the trainer pointed out that the fast walking pace i was maintaining, would actually be easier if i turned it into a light jog. Which i did, and didn't look back from there... that was about a month ago.

I'm running exclusively on the treadmill at the moment as it's easier on my knee. Although i've been running almost a month now with absolutely zero problems, i want to be careful as my extra weight also puts strain on the joints. I'll keep running on a treadmill until i lose at least another 3 stone. I have already lost 4 stone on this journey and am feeling amazing, i could barely walk 12 months ago due to the weight i was carrying around, let alone run ;).

Anyhow, just wanted to create a topic here to log my running and progress. Right now i've reached the point where i can run 2 miles, but it takes me 30 minutes to do so. I can run a single mile in 12 minutes 30 seconds. I'm doing the c25k program and am at the end of week 1, finding it easy. Will continue with the c25k program plus one other training session a week which is with my personal trainer. That's all for now.

well done!

i was also the same about running in school, i dreaded it. always knew id be last, id be the only one who appeared out of breathe and unfit..... signing up for a half marathon a few people who knew me at school found it hilarious and laughed in my face saying i couldnt do it... and i did.

although i dont use the treadmill anymore, i always lose my balance on them for some reason, just dosent feel natural compared to the road!

good on you for keeping it up though, your a far better runner than those who are sitting on the sofa wishing they were runners ;)

Well done Losingit you must feel so proud! I too have discovered that I enjoy running, I never thought I could run, and hated it at school, actually I hated most things at school! But after getting a treadmill I am now running 5-10 k's about 4 times a week on a slight incline, I wish I had tried years ago as I am 46 now! I feel so energised after a run and feel sluggish if I don't run for a few days. I can do 10 k's in 1 hour and 7 mins. (stopping here and there) I honestly struggled to run for 2 minutes to start with. I think 10 k's is my limit though, I'd love to do a half marathon but maybe 10 years ago. Gina b, wow! You have done so many events! Maybe I should sign up for something soon....

Hi,
I just wondered what are kettlebells and how do you do them, I have just rejoined the gym and I'm finding that jogging is really hurting my knees at the moment, I can only jog for 2 mins rest 2 mins rest 2 mins rest at the min, would love to be able to get to where you are now, would be grateful for any tips (that i can use at the gym, cant afford a personal trainer or anything like that). Thanks and congrats on the weight loss so far :)

I went through the Kettleworx program,... well, most of it. It's quite pricey though, and you can find lots of kettlebell exercises on youtube. The problem with knee issues is that to make the joint more stable you need to exercise to build the muscle around that joint, but at the same time you don't want to make it worse, it's a bit of a 'catch 22' position really. Kettlebells can also be a bit tough on the knees if you are having serious problems, it's lots of squats and swinging weights. If you are really struggling with your knees it might be wise to start with something like the elliptical trainer, or swimming, or cycling, anything that builds your leg muscles whilst at the same time doesn't cause pain to your knees. Try that for 2 or 3 weeks then try jogging again and you might find you can do it - i know this is what worked for me.

Craig - wow, incredible losses.. amazing :). I'll do a bit of looking into glucosamine as a supplement. I already take fish oil which also helps. Not actually experiencing any pain in my joints at all yet which is lucky, but i don't want it to start! Plenty of muscle aches going on though..

JMC and gina, you guys are an inspiration. I'd love to be able to run a 5k right now, and run it 'properly' without stopping constantly to walk. Then maybe do a 10k... but i can't imagine anything more than that, but who knows what the future holds..

Ran another 2 miles today, whilst doing c25k week 1 day 3, which is mostly walking and quite easy. In the running sections i was doing 5.5mph and in the walking parts i was doing around 3.5mph and didn't experience any problems at all. Feel great infact. Next week when the running parts get longer i might have to drop my speed to 5.3 on the running part but we'll see...hopefully i'll achieve more mileage in the 30 minutes anyway.

Ran 2 miles yesterday too with my personal trainer (also in 30 minutes funnily enough). Tomorrow is going to be a rest day then will do c25k week 2 day 1 on Friday.

Feeling so good!

its signing up to events that have kept me motivated! might give the running a break after september 2013 though.... just do runs every now and then

Did a 2 mile run today, feeling good, took 30 minutes - would like to greatly improve on this speed in time! It was meant to be week 2 of c25k but i didn't really follow it properly...

Did C25K week 2 day 1 properly at the gym yesterday, and covered just over 2 miles in the half hour session.

Personal trainer session today, he only made me run 1 mile this time which i did in 13 minutes 5 seconds. Then did some skipping for 6 minutes split into 2 minute sessions with 1 minute break inbetween (very hard!). And some boxing, then some resistance work on my core. Feeling good.

c25k week 2 day 2 done today, covered 2 miles doing it.

c25k week 2 day 3 completed, covered 2.06 miles, slight improvement :)
Having a rest over the weekend then back to running on Monday.

yeay! i did c25k this year and was over 15st when i started. i was the same at school, and until approximately april 2012. i cant run! well, now i can! i've stopped for the winter but i was running about an hour straight outside a couple of times a week. starting again in Feb and have a goal of running a 10k in june. it didnt do a lot for weightloss sadly but it did loads for my confidence and my legs!

Agree with the weightloss sentiment, since i've been running my weightloss has almost ground to a halt despite me not eating any extra. But the way running makes me feel, i don't care, and the weight has to come off eventually if i just keep going. I'd rather be 'overweight' and very fit & toned than skinny and unfit and unhealthy.

Well done on completing c25k! And good luck with the 10k for next year, i'm sure you can do it. My goal is to be able to complete a 5k in a respectable time (40 minutes would make me over the moon!) but since i'm training solely on a treadmill right now i think it will take some time before i'm ready to do this outside.

Hi - Can I join in? I'm new to this site and new to running too. I always hated running and haven't done it i over 12 years but just started back and ran my first 5 km recently in 30 mins. So my next goal is to do a 5K in 27 mins and then to complete a 10K by summer next year.

I'm currently doing a 30 day runnning habit - where you run for 20 mins every day for 30 days. The idea is to engrain the habit in your lifestyle and it really is working - I'm on day 24 now and feel edgey if I can't run.

I'm different in that I still hate running while I'm doing it but love how I feel afterwards. I talked to a friend who is a seasoned runner and she feels the same so it has made me realise that its ok to feel like this and just concentrate on the feeling afterwards.

I do my running both on the road and in the gym - want to save my knees as much as possible and when the weather is so bad its hard to motivate yourself to go out.

Looking forward to talking with you all and maybe having a training buddy for th 10k next year.

hiya - sounds like you are doing great! I don't enjoy the beginning part of my run, the first 20 minutes or so seems really hellish but after that i get an adrenaline rush or i'm warmed up or something happens where i go from thinking "what an earth am i doing to myself!?" to thinking "this is so good!", and you are right about the great feeling afterwards, i get that too. It always feels like i've achieved something great when i've had a good run.

Today was meant to be a running day for me but i woke up and have lost my voice overnight and feel yucky, so probably no running for me now for a few days at least :(.

Thanks losingit - that really is bad luck that you are sick. Hope that it passes soon so that you can get back running again.

Back