Fatorexia

ugh, i think i am a victim of this too! That or just pure denial for years.

I used to have this problem. Actually still sort of have this problem. I wasn't always a big girl. I used to be a size S or once in a while M. But then I moved had some health issues where I stayed in bed most of the winter, here's its like almost 6 months of the year. Then BOOM, I balloned :cry:.

So I knew I got big when I had to wear a size L, and was making my way to XL. When I saw myself in the mirror I knew I was bigger then I used to be, I didn't look like me, but I thought well not too bad. Then a picture pops up and it's like OMG What the...who...omg it's ME :eek:!!!

The bigger wake up call was when I went home to visit, and was with my family and I felt HUGE compared to everyone else, and in the pics I was HUGE! Actually what's sad is my family almost didn't recognize me at the airport, they had to do a double take :( I was in denial and didn't take pics and didn't tell my family about the weight gain, until the week before I went to see them.

Over a month ago I went to a wedding, I thought I was looking so much better than earlier in the year since I started working out a little, and my clothes felt looser. But when a friend took a picture for me of me and my guy, I looked HUGE! I looked like a bee stung my whole body and face, so it was another reality check.

Now that I've lost a little weight, and see myself in the mirror and think wow I look so much better. But then when I see friends next to me by a window reflection or a mirror I still know I have a ways to go ;).

BTW I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who had this issue of seeing something else than what it really is. I guess like another poster wrote that when we stand in front of the mirror we suck in the tummy a little, and look at where we want to. Also there isn't anything to compare ourselves with.

That is exactly what I have!!

I dont look in mirrors as I dont like the picture but my image of myself is in my head. As I feel relatively healthy and not in pain (or so I think) I dont think people actually see me as being big. However I am!! Very!!

Went to asda yesterday and took a top in to try on, as normal I tried it on with my back to the mirror then plucked up the courage to turn around. I cried and cried, realised how large I am, how ugly I look and how ridiculously tight my clothes are!!

But on the plus side I am now extremely motivated to lose the weight, I know it will take a while but I no longer want to think I am something that im not! For people to look at me as they like the way I look not because they cant believe I can actually walk and that I dont have my own satellite!!

Keep smiling, I am!!

Hi Pepshouse, that's really great that you've lost 22lbs. I hope one day I can lose 22 lbs too. Keep up the good work and I'm sure people don't look at you like that.

I went to the gym today, thought I looked ok in my black trousers and blue top...until the trainer got me to look in the mirror to do bicep curls with weights...I was like...urrgggghhh! I am sooo wearing something else next time! lol

AmethystWitch said:
I went to the gym today, thought I looked ok in my black trousers and blue top...until the trainer got me to look in the mirror to do bicep curls with weights...I was like...urrgggghhh! I am sooo wearing something else next time! lol

Lol I swear they use Funhouse mirrors in most gyms just to keep you going lol

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Why do they even have mirrors?

I got to a private studio for my work outs and one wall is a huge mirror. I do all my workouts in front of this. I suppose it is motivational but in my gym gear I can't even pretend that I look okay!

There's a BBQ in Sept for the clients of this fitness studio and it'll be the first time I've seen my PT when I'm not in ugly gym clothes. Usually I'm quite well dressed and know how to dress for my figure. Hopefully I won't be recognised!

hehehe this post made me laugh! I have never heard of this fatorexia before, but i think you may have just diagnosed me!

No matter what size i am, i always look in the mirror and see the same person! its only looking back at old photos now that i am starting to notice a difference in how moonlike my face was! I think fatorexia is the way many of us excuse that extra piece of cake. Avoid photos and see something thats not there in the mirror!

There should be a TV campaign or something hehehe

I went rafting a couple of weeks ago and I had to wear a wetsuit. We went over to pick them up and one of the lads sort of looked at me (to assess the size) and handed over an XL suit. I had sort of expected a Medium!

Worse was to come! It had to be zipped up over my thighs and after a struggle (tucking bits of thigh in) with the help of hubby I got into it. It was a knee length one and bits of flab splodged out of the bottom.

After that I think I might finally be cured of my 'fatorexia'.

Tracey

Good topic.

I was recently 4.5 stone over weight, and thought I looked fine. I am now wondering if it was my mirror? Its quite a narrow mirror, so I can only see one half of me, or I have to stand a bit further away, which probably makes me look smaller. Possibly I only see what I expect to see? Weight creeps on gradually, so I don't think I noticed that I had gotten a little wider.

When I went shopping, I did get a bit of a shock seeing myself in a large mirror - but then I blamed the unflattering lighting.

Now that I am losing weight, I am paying more attention to my size and shape. I can notice the 2 stone I have lost. Funnily enough I didn't notice the 2 stone creeping on.... I will try to pay more attention from now on!

I'd love to have room for a really huge mirror. I think then it'd be easier to notice the weight going on (and off) and I wouldn't be in this situation.

I can't really see all of myself in my current mirror and I can't stand that far back because the bed is in the way!

I did... I thought I was big but didn't clock how big, until I saw pictures of myself in ill-fitting clothes on a few occasions. I wish someone had told me how bad it was, but I would've probably just hidden away and eaten more!

This is a great thread. I can identify with so many of the things you have all said. Right now, I am trying to avoid having my picture taken at all costs, but when it happens it's awful.

I'm trying not to look in mirrors either, but when I catch sight of myself in a changing room mirror or reflected elsewhere I barely recognise myself.

The other thing I have noticed (I think because my weight gain has been so rapid) is that I don't really have much of an idea how much space I need. I need whiskers. I'm scared of bumping into people in shop aisles and on public transport (where the seats are getting smaller, I swear :eek:)

Now I'm waiting for the seats to get larger again ;)

Back