Fatorexia

I hate it when you get dressed in the morning and think: 'hey, I don't look too bad.' Only to walk past a shop window later that day and cringe. Then feel self conscious for the rest of the day.

Last weekend a friend snapped a picture of me, and she emailed it to me. I was shocked to say that I actually looked a lot better than I imagined. I imagined the picture would come out like the one from a 1.5 month ago But I've been workingout and dieting for the past 1.5 months so it's a huge difference in the picture before I dieted and the one from last weekend.

Maybe my fatorexia is going away now, and that it's becoming I see myself fatter than what I am now??? Or am I just too used to seeing myself big and not used to seeing myself not so big.

Fatorexia sufferer here!

Like many, it's what got me into this mess in the first place. I'm usually quite good at posing for pictures too and obviously any tagged of me on FB are highly edited to remove any unflattering ones!! So it was a huge shock to step on the scales in January and read 18st 3lbs :( I'm into the mid 15's now, looking forward to the 14's. I don't think I've been there since I was actually 14! Haha!

F x

im going to get rid of my facebook, it's no good for my self-esteem!

Ew ew ew I've just looked through the offending photos.

WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME????? I genuinely look like I have a comedy fatsuit on in them, it's horrible.

Fortunately I can truly see the difference now. I have a waist, and the Peter Griffin face/chin thing I had going on is gone. (at least I hope so, I'm really critical of every inch of myself so I don't think it's denial!)

I weighed myself this morning (a day before official weigh in so it's my own fault) and I'm 2lbs heavier than last Fri. Yet I looked in this mirror this morning and couldn't believe how thin I looked! I hope the extra weight is muscle I've put on from all the weight training.

Hi

My name is Asred and I am at the beginning of my journey to lose weight and gain fitness. I have tried (like many people) all sorts of diets and stuff. The only thing I found really helpful was a book by Sara Bird called "What do you see when you look in the mirror". It's a new condition called Fatorexia where you see a thin person when you look in the mirror. I can identify with this and there are some interesting angles in the book. It's a good read and has certainly given me the mindset to begin my journey.

Cheers

Haha, know all about this one. Think it's something to do with close-ups. Thought I looked 'okay' and not bad in mirrors, even full length ones, then spotted myself in a distance-photo and baulked. You just do not realise and it's a horror!

The thing about pictures is that they can get you at angles that you never managed to check in the mirror. Also don't you find that when you are checking yourself before you go out, you tend to suck in your stomach and stand tall? I do, when I have my picture taken I forget to hold in my stomach as I'm usually so busy talking and laughing with friends. Also sitting down can be a bit unflattering in certain outfits :-(. That one has caught me out many a time!

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, so please forgive me if this has been discussed before but I was just wondering if anyone here has experienced Fatorexia? (When you look in the mirror you think you look fine and not generally 'big' but really your very overweight!)
I think I had this...:rolleyes: I usually look at myself before I go out and think, yep, I look nice, I look fine...then the pictures come out and then it's OMG! I'm huuuge!!! :eek:
Anybody else have mirrors that lie? :rolleyes:

Slim mirrors are the worst, I had one for years and thought I looked great and quite slim so I lived in denial. Then once I went to a friends house who had a full wide mirror and I was so shocked at how different I looked! my legs and hips looked huge. Safe to say I got rid of the slim mirror!

Slim mirrors are the worst, I had one for years and thought I looked great and quite slim so I lived in denial. Then once I went to a friends house who had a full wide mirror and I was so shocked at how different I looked! my legs and hips looked huge. Safe to say I got rid of the slim mirror!

I absolutely agree with this. Living with a slim mirror gives you a false sense of achievement and when you find out the truth you end up feeling worse that before. I have one at the moment, in fact 2 (not by choice) but I also have 2 that make me look wider, so it kind of cancels it out ha! Although I never know how I actually look anymore. Some clothes shop changing room mirrors are the most depressing mirrors ever! - that could prob be a thread all by itself.

Yes! I completely do this - I know that I'm overweight, but on another level I think "i'm fine" - and so I never do anything about it - well it's all got to change!

So that's what it is!
Fatorexia!
i definitely can identify.
I'm not disgusting when I looked in the mirror and I feel healthy but at 5ft4 and 14st13lbs I know I'm not at a healthy weight. Far from it.

Back