Feedback on George Foreman grills

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by Tia1976, 27 February 2010 Social URL.

1. Tia1976

Tia1976 Full Member

I am thinking of purchasing one of these to cook lean meats and veg. Are they good, or just another kitchen gadget?
    I particularly like chargrilled food - do they make the food taste chargrilled? Any feedback gratefully received, x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. suepat10

suepat10 I am one of the 63336

Start Weight:
    20st3lb
    Current Weight:
    20st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I have one in the cupboard. It usually only comes out when I'm doing steaks - which isn't often - but I much prefer them cooked on the GF to any other way

4. icklerockchick

icklerockchick slow but steady!

Start Weight:
    12st1lb
    Current Weight:
    9st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st6.5lb(20.41%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    this is one of the few kitchen gadgets that i actually use all the time infact it lives on the worktop beside the microwave, toaster and kettle. whereas everything else tends to live in the cupboard and rarely get used!

i just find it really quick and easy to use i use it for sausages, burgers, and toasted sandwiches mostly :) not vry good for thin things tho such as bacon, only downside to the george foreman is it can be a bit of a pain to clean but i THINK they now make ones with removeable plates that can be washed in sink or dishwasher which would be much easier!

mines pretty old but still going strong. if you use a grill a lot i think you would defo benefit from buying one. plus its always good to see all the fat that comes out and think yay i am not eating that!

X

5. Tia1976

Tia1976 Full Member

thanks very much for your replies, think i'll be taking the plunge sometime soon.

6. H*Bomb

H*Bomb Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    21st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    18st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2.5lb(9.12%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    We have one. They don't really make anything taste chargrilled though.
    I didn't really like it as it drained all of the fat out of the meat and made it pretty tasteless - you wouldn't really want to cut a nice cut of steak in there. However, for SW I guess that is a good thing!
    I only really used it for toasting cheese ciabatas :D However, guess that is bad for SW!

7. jooloo

jooloo Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st4lb
    Current Weight:
    9st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    3st9lb(27.42%)
    Diet:
    Weight watchers
    I always thought with the GF that I didn't believe it drained off any more fat than conventional grilling... however I might be wrong about that!!
    We originally got one because we had a combined oven/grill so couldnt do things like burger + chips very easily.
    Find it very good for cooking things like homemade burgers which sometimes i think can fall apart a bit on the grill, whereas with the GF you can squish them as they cook so they don't lol.
    Don't think they're very chargrilled effect though... don't know if maybe you could get that effect with a griddle pan or something? Don't have one though so don't really have a clue...
    GF's are really good for toasting cheese and beef paninis though!! yum yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. suepat10

suepat10 I am one of the 63336

Start Weight:
    20st3lb
    Current Weight:
    20st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World

Mmmmmm, cheese ciabatta!!! :D

re: steaks - maybe I haven't found it effects the taste much but that could be because I like my steaks blue or rare at a pinch.

9. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    Mine's in the garage! I used to like doing veg on mine, sliced aubergine , onions, courgettes. Tomatoes make a bit of a mess tho. If you do buy one then get one that has the removable plates as they are a pig to clean in situ.

10. Tia1976

Tia1976 Full Member

Thanks for all your feedback and comments. Will def be looking for one with removeable plates!

11. not_lar_croft

not_lar_croft Silver Member

Start Weight:
    18st7.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7.5lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    SW
    I use mine to cook my meat free burgers (Asda) and they tast yum using the GF - well worth having for bacon, sausage and most other meats. At least me smoke alarm doesnt keep going off!!!

12. vijch50

vijch50 Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st4lb
    Current Weight:
    13st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st10lb(16.67%)
    Diet:
    weight watchers
    very very good gadget but do get the one with removable plates you can put these in dishwasher - we have done steaks and not noticed a flavour problem at all - enjoy it a lot

13. H*Bomb

H*Bomb Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    21st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    18st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2.5lb(9.12%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I like my steak blue too - and don't really thing a GF can do that!

14. *EB*

*EB* Gold Member

I love my George - its a great timesaver.....

I dont have removable plates, but wipe it down with dettol wipes and kitchen towel....doesnt take v long at all. If you can get one with removeable plates, do so tho as it will be easier.

I cook chicken, pork, sausages, homemade burgers, steaks etc on it....all taste lovely!

x

15. scottish lass

scottish lass THIS IS MY YEAR

Start Weight:
    12st8lb
    Current Weight:
    12st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.27%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    i have a george froman grill. i love it. i've had a couple of these grills, the first one hadn't removable plates, but the second one did. i would definately pay extra for the latter, as the're so easy to clean in the dishwasher. look around as i got mine half price from a well known catalogue shop. i cook my steaks on it and they're lovely. sometimes i season them with black pepper

16. stephie0611

stephie0611 needs to focus!!!!

Start Weight:
    13st10lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
  17. Meli

Meli Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st11.6lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks for posting this as I have one stowed away and didn't think to use it! I used to grill chicken breasts and they would turn out wonderful!

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Going2be*fab*at40

Going2be*fab*at40 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    8st13lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    -0st1lb(-0.8%)
    Diet:
    Fabulous Slimming World
    I have one from Sainsburys (Good for you - their own make) - I use it most days.
    To make sure that the meat stays juicy and to give it a 'chargrilled' taste, I always marinate my meat in balsamic vinegar and/or Worcestershire sauce.
    I don't over cook (2 mins for steak and 8 minutes for chicken) and I absolutely love it!!!!

20. SlimDreams

SlimDreams Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(6.81%)
    I use mine for every kind of grilling as i don't have any other grill!! I have the one that is slanted so the fat drips out, remember to put a plate under it though.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.