Feedback on George Foreman grills

Tia1976

I am thinking of purchasing one of these to cook lean meats and veg. Are they good, or just another kitchen gadget?
I particularly like chargrilled food - do they make the food taste chargrilled? Any feedback gratefully received, x

I have one in the cupboard. It usually only comes out when I'm doing steaks - which isn't often - but I much prefer them cooked on the GF to any other way

this is one of the few kitchen gadgets that i actually use all the time infact it lives on the worktop beside the microwave, toaster and kettle. whereas everything else tends to live in the cupboard and rarely get used!

i just find it really quick and easy to use i use it for sausages, burgers, and toasted sandwiches mostly :) not vry good for thin things tho such as bacon, only downside to the george foreman is it can be a bit of a pain to clean but i THINK they now make ones with removeable plates that can be washed in sink or dishwasher which would be much easier!

mines pretty old but still going strong. if you use a grill a lot i think you would defo benefit from buying one. plus its always good to see all the fat that comes out and think yay i am not eating that!

X

We have one. They don't really make anything taste chargrilled though.
I didn't really like it as it drained all of the fat out of the meat and made it pretty tasteless - you wouldn't really want to cut a nice cut of steak in there. However, for SW I guess that is a good thing!
I only really used it for toasting cheese ciabatas :D However, guess that is bad for SW!

I always thought with the GF that I didn't believe it drained off any more fat than conventional grilling... however I might be wrong about that!!
We originally got one because we had a combined oven/grill so couldnt do things like burger + chips very easily.
Find it very good for cooking things like homemade burgers which sometimes i think can fall apart a bit on the grill, whereas with the GF you can squish them as they cook so they don't lol.
Don't think they're very chargrilled effect though... don't know if maybe you could get that effect with a griddle pan or something? Don't have one though so don't really have a clue...
GF's are really good for toasting cheese and beef paninis though!! yum yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have one. They don't really make anything taste chargrilled though.
I didn't really like it as it drained all of the fat out of the meat and made it pretty tasteless - you wouldn't really want to cut a nice cut of steak in there. However, for SW I guess that is a good thing!
I only really used it for toasting cheese ciabatas :D However, guess that is bad for SW!

Mmmmmm, cheese ciabatta!!! :D

re: steaks - maybe I haven't found it effects the taste much but that could be because I like my steaks blue or rare at a pinch.

Mine's in the garage! I used to like doing veg on mine, sliced aubergine , onions, courgettes. Tomatoes make a bit of a mess tho. If you do buy one then get one that has the removable plates as they are a pig to clean in situ.

very very good gadget but do get the one with removable plates you can put these in dishwasher - we have done steaks and not noticed a flavour problem at all - enjoy it a lot

Mmmmmm, cheese ciabatta!!! :D

re: steaks - maybe I haven't found it effects the taste much but that could be because I like my steaks blue or rare at a pinch.

I like my steak blue too - and don't really thing a GF can do that!

I love my George - its a great timesaver.....

I dont have removable plates, but wipe it down with dettol wipes and kitchen towel....doesnt take v long at all. If you can get one with removeable plates, do so tho as it will be easier.

I cook chicken, pork, sausages, homemade burgers, steaks etc on it....all taste lovely!

x

i have a george froman grill. i love it. i've had a couple of these grills, the first one hadn't removable plates, but the second one did. i would definately pay extra for the latter, as the're so easy to clean in the dishwasher. look around as i got mine half price from a well known catalogue shop. i cook my steaks on it and they're lovely. sometimes i season them with black pepper

Thanks for posting this as I have one stowed away and didn't think to use it! I used to grill chicken breasts and they would turn out wonderful!

I have one from Sainsburys (Good for you - their own make) - I use it most days.
To make sure that the meat stays juicy and to give it a 'chargrilled' taste, I always marinate my meat in balsamic vinegar and/or Worcestershire sauce.
I don't over cook (2 mins for steak and 8 minutes for chicken) and I absolutely love it!!!!

I use mine for every kind of grilling as i don't have any other grill!! I have the one that is slanted so the fat drips out, remember to put a plate under it though.

Back