Feedback on my Baked Bean recipe

Atropos

Gold Member
WARNING - SINCE I POSTED THIS I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT SOYA BEANS ARE NOT ON THE DIET

This is something I made on the campfire when food was starting to run low, and I found a bag of dried soya beans, which I remember being on the cruise pv list; the result was delicious - although I'd appreciate feedback on how Dukan friendly it actually is.

Dried Soya Beans
Tin of Tomatoes
2 Onions
3 cloves of garlic
Black pepper
Dried oregano
Tabasco
Salt

I soaked the soya beans overnight, rinsed them, then put them in a pot with the tomatos, chopped onions, garlic, a half pint of water, and all the other ingredients EXCEPT THE SALT.

(This bit is important - salt hardens beans, so you can boil beans in salted water for hours and they never get soft!)

I brought the pan to the boil, then buried it in the ashes for the rest of the afternoon (which is the equivalent of leaving it to simmer in the oven or slowcooker - neither of which I had).

When I came back the beans had been slowly cooking all day, and were still hot and pretty soft - so I added the salt to taste, stoked the fire, and brought it all back to the boil - then scoffed the lot over the course of the evening and the following morning.

Last edited:
I don't think Soya beans are allowed, really. "beans are beans", but I can't find any info on them.

Beansprouts seem to be okay, and soya-based things like Soya milk (150ml)/yoghurt (125gr), Soya flour (20gr) and Soya protein (50g) are allowed as 'tolerated' portions.

Tofu is allowed unrestricted apparently.

But what a nice recipe nevertheless, thanks for sharing!

ooo - I had a feeling it was too good to be true. (I don't regret it - I was running out of food so it was the least worst option)

I have found the source of my confusion - Soya Beans are on the cruise list printed in the Daily Mail some months ago - my mum cut it out and sent it to me.

Back