Feel good! List 5 things you like about yourself :)

Freshstartnewme!

Gold Member
Hey everyone, :wavey:

A little challenge to make us think and make us feel like we deserve to :) :queen:

I sometimes think its very easy to make a list as long as your arm about things you don't like about yourself. I know I could...

But I thought that it might be nice if we all try and think about some good things about ourselves. I think part of this journey we make with weight loss is all about self acceptance, and how we really feel about ourselves. I know I have always covered my weight with humour- if I'm the first to make the sarcastic comment no one else can. It hurts a lot more when other people make them so i would rather make them first... but does it hurt less? Now I am not so sure. I think maybe years of doing this has given me a very big defence mechanism about my weight and I want to change this. Its almost natural to make bad comments about myself now, and it really upsets my boyfriend because I do it all the time, even when its just us at home.

I want to try and start focusing on the good things about me and my life instead of letting my weight control me and how I feel about it. I'm dealing with the weight and now I want to deal with how I feel about things so that I can start leading a happy and fulfilling life!

So I will start!

1. I am caring- sometimes too caring- but i will always do my best to help someone if I can. Some people tell me I'm soft because bad things upset me, but I would rather care too much- than no care about people at all!
2. I am loyal- I don't have many friends, or a very big family, but everyone i consider my friend and not an aquaintance- I would do anything for and would stick by through thick and thin.
3. I work hard to have what I have- I worked very hard to get where I am today and some people may think its not much, but to me it is. I have over-come alot of illness in my life, bullying, people telling me I will never be anything and that I am not worth anything. I worked full time to get myself through uni, I worked hard to get a good education and now at 25 I have a good job, a lovely boyfriend and I own everything in my house (apart from the house!) yes I haven't been travelling and yes I don't own a pony- but what I do own and what I have achieved- no one gave that to me, I bloody earnt it and I deserve it.
4. I'm nice to people- I am always polite to everyone, I say please and thank you and have good manners. I try and help people and I do things for charity. Its not much, but it makes me feel good about myself and I am proud that my parents taught me how to behave well and I will pass this onto my children.
5. I am a strong person- Lots of things through my life have been thrown at me, and I have over come them. I never give up, I never back down and I will keep going at something until I achieve it, until now my weight has been the only thing I have let hold me back. NO MORE! I Will achieve my goals and the rest of my life is my oyster :)

I'm really looking forward to hearing some other people's lists. Remember, your weight isn't the only part of you, people judge and think that because people are over weight it makes them uninteresting and uncapable people. This isn't the case- I'm taking control- are you?

Claire xxx

Thanks very much for this post Claire. I think it is too easy to pick out the bad stuff and forget the good things. I've never been too good at being positive about myself but I think that needs to change.
So...
1. I'm caring. I like to look after people and make them happy. I would do anything for my friends and family to make there life easier or just to make them smile.
2. I have a good sense of humour. Well I think so. I've used this to cover my weight for so long but I'd like not to be the funny fat girl anymore but the funny slim girl. I see the funny side to everything which has got me through a lot of tough times.
3. I'm hardworking and will do anything to get where I want to be. I believe you get out what you put in so use every opportunity as a lesson to learn about myself and others and get to where I want to be.
4. I'm talented...I'm a singer and when I'm singing in front of people I'm confident and out-going. My weight has held me back from persuing this further but I need to come out of my shell and realise I'm good enough.
5. I'm a positive person. I look for the good in everything and always look on the bright side. Life's too short to worry about little things.

This is a really good idea, except I can't really think of 5 things I like about myself!

That is so sad and too modest. I do not know you but have seen some of your qualities on here.

You are polite. This is reflected in the way you post on here.

You are clever. You have just graduated and want to do your masters.

You are hard working. You are working now.

You are extremely good mannered.

You are a very attractive and trendy girl.

Now argue with that.

That is so sad and too modest. I do not know you but have seen some of your qualities on here.

You are polite. This is reflected in the way you post on here.

You are clever. You have just graduated and want to do your masters.

You are hard working. You are working now.

You are extremely good mannered.

You are a very attractive and trendy girl.

Now argue with that.

Awww <3 That actually made me a little teary that someone who doesn't even know me could pick up on those qualities. That means a lot to me, thank you :)

Now for me !!!

I actually like myself most of the time. I live with me quite comfortably, but then I have had a lot of years of practise.

1. I care a lot about people and animals and do everything in my power to make things o.k. for all that come into my sphere.

2. I adore my husband and would never dis.him in public and have never in 25 years wanted to not be with him.

3. I work like a trojan, but that is not a problem as I love what I do.

4. I am so positive you have to believe it.

5. I never moan about what I do not have and am so grateful for what I do have.

My goodness I sound like a saint.............though the halo does slip OFTEN, but I still laugh !!
angel_with_hula_hoop_080720_1257.jpg

This is a great thread! :) I have to say, I completely agree with what fillymum has said about RubyMoss (not that I know you of course, but you know what I mean! :))

I'm trying hard to think of the 5 things I want to say, but here goes:

1. I'm kind and caring - it really upsets me when people treat others in a disrespectful way, or when people are upset and depressed, so I'm usually the mother hen and the shoulder to cry on :)

2. I'm intelligent (ooo, I feel awful for saying that! It's completely against my nature!) - I have 4 A levels, a degree and I'm now working towards an MEd. I love learning!

3. I'm fiercely (sp?) loyal - like Claire, I don't have many friends or family members, but those who know me always know that they can rely on me to be there for them through the good times and the bad

4. I'm very hardworking and prepared to do anything to get where I want to be (within reason naturally - I refuse to sleep with the boss :giggle:) - I'm a firm believer that anything in life you want you have to work for.

5. I have a very dry sense of humour (witty as opposed to roll on the floor with laughter) and I can usually diffuse an awkward situation with a well-timed witticism :)

Ooo, now this feels so odd to me! I'm not used to blowing my own trumpet at all :eek:

Sian xxx

I would say five could things about me are:-
1) I am conscentious
2) I am loyal
3) I am sensitivev so I do care about stuff
4) I am firely - not always good but does mean I am passionate
5) I am honest :)

Wow what an amazing thread. I've tried to think about mine:

1. I am really positive - everyone who knows me says I'm always happy, always smiling, and I hate negativity - I always look to the bright side

2. I am loving - I've been with my DH over 9 years and love him more than anything in the world, and would do anything for him

Eeek I can't think of anymore :cry:

I shall have a go at this - what a lovely thread! Good things about me are:

1) I can be super organised when i put my mind to it - i am always the one to plan and organise things for friends and family - and of course this quality helps with SW on a daily basis.

2) I can start conversations - i can be shy, but mostly i will happily start conversations within new people and old friends - this is something i find very easy. I also can come up with excellent drinking games....!

3) I have a nice smile (ive been told this - so will take the compliment - although i pout most of the time haha!) and the smile is often seen. I do love my life.

4) I am romantic - hearts and flowers all the way!

5) I am a good friend. I have a lot of friends, and am always an open ear for the ones that need it. I still have my selfish moments (dont we all), but am a dependable chum to my girls.

things i like about me:

1. im good at planning especially parties, they never seem to end earlier than 1am
2. along with my wonderful husband we raised 2 wonderful boys who are respectful, well mannered, hardworking and successful in their own areas of life.
3.I have great calves and small feet.
4. im a good cook and love to feed people.
5. im loyal to my friends and my loveones hurt or upset them and you will know about it.

oh my im feeling pretty damn good about me now and I hope you are all as well, great way to start off a weekend!!

Great idea for a thread!

Okay, I will have a go at this...

1) I make films, I can use industry standard camera's, sound equipment and I'm particularly good at editing. Not something I could say about myself 3 years ago..

2) I have a good sense of humour and I can laugh off most things, stops me being so serious

3) When I really want to do something I always do it. Which is making me think I'll be lovely and thin in the near future :D I really want it this time!

4) I have awesome friends, not many, but the ones I have are the best people ever.

5) I have mad vegan baking skills

Oh I am so pleased people like this thread :)

Its put a big smile on my face! You all sound like great people, I would love to meet you all! Its so nice to find such a diverse and like minded range of people on here all with a common goal and such a sense of support and comradeship.

Lets hear some more! :party0011:

I like my hair! It's nice and long and finally the right colour. I don't treat it so badly, I take quite good care of it. I like playing with hair, I like styling hair, and I think I'm actually quite good at it, with no qualifications or anything!

I have a very dry sense of humour - I actually do like this about myself! I managed to get my best friend to finally understand sarcasm, because I use so much sarcasm when I'm talking to her, and she FINALLY uses it too! Most of the time, whatever comes out of my mouth is highly sarcastic, which makes people say I'm funny, yay! :D

I'm a great cook! I love cooking, trying out new recipes, substituting little things here and there to create different textures and tastes. My SW friendly recipes go down quite well, despite the fact that I never stick 100% to the ingredients and method for that matter!

The FlabFighters (brilliant support group! - http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-teams/161929-flabfighters-august-challenge.html#post2711602 - check that sly advertising out ;)) say I always have something nice to say about everyone and I know how to make them feel better. That always makes me feel good :) I like that even though I may annoy everyone in my house (well, they annoy me first!) I still have a whole bunch of intangible friends out there that appreciate me! xxx

And finally... I like that I had the sense to research SW, join it, and then bumble across this site - I still don't remember how. But I do like SW, so I like myself for finding it!

xxx

This I find hard as my self esteem is non existant at the moment but I need to start trying......

1. Have just finished making a wedding cake for my friends, well have made it and marzipaned it just need icing, it looks quite good so guess am proud of that.

2. Am a good listener, people tend to ring me when they feeling down so guess I am.

3. Am a good mum. Yeah I get naffed off and yell at her when I shouldnt but who doesnt. Yeah am a good Mum with a fab ikkle girl.

4. I did really well in my first year at uni.

Thats it

and you forgot say how you have been dedicated to SW and have lost 25lbs, so you have application, strength and willpower.

Not bad hey !!!

It does feel odd to be boasting, but:

1. I am intelligent (IQ of 159).

2. I am logical.

3. I am very good at finding things out.

4. I am good at public speaking and I make people laugh.

5. I am very good at reading maps (this may sound like an odd boast, but people are always saying that women can't read maps and it just isn't true!!)

(On the minus side, I am lazy, disorganised and untidy. And I can't remember people's names, even when I have been told a dozen times.)

haha all this attributes sounds like my OH :D

It does feel odd to be boasting, but:

1. I am intelligent (IQ of 159).

2. I am logical.

3. I am very good at finding things out.

4. I am good at public speaking and I make people laugh.

5. I am very good at reading maps (this may sound like an odd boast, but people are always saying that women can't read maps and it just isn't true!!)

(On the minus side, I am lazy, disorganised and untidy. And I can't remember people's names, even when I have been told a dozen times.)

Back