Feeling Good, feeling focussed....

Domane

I suddenly realised back in May that I was a month away from turning 50 and I'd been on and off SW for years, yo-yo'ing. I took a long hard look at myself and my eating habits and decided that I wanted to be Fifty and Fit, not fifty and fat. I was 5'6", 13st 2lbs (although everyone told me I didn't look that heavy but my scales certainly told me I was!!) and not happy. My husband is a big eater with a fast metabolism and my portion sizes have been trying to keep up with him, although my body doesn't burn it off like he does. I have horses and although my riding pony carried me with no problems, just because he could, didn't mean he should have to and I wanted to do something about it. I decided to overhaul my diet (as in "food intake") and instead of doing mainly green days (told you I was old-skool SW) I decided to try mostly red days. Within 3 days I couldn't believe the difference in my tummy - it was flatter and I felt great. I hadn't realised just how being a "carboholic" made me feel bloated and sluggish! I have switched from white carbs now to celeriac "mash", cauliflower "rice", I rarely have a slice of wholemeal bread or wholemeal pasta. I gave up my lashings of "builder's tea", just like that, I dropped the milk and switched to green. I've always drunk a lot of water, but I drink more now. I do have a sweet tooth, but I'm trying to curb it with fruit.... I get my sugar buzz from caramel Snack-a-Jacks!! :p And I'd never tried it because I just didn't like the idea of it but OMG! How much do I love fat-free natural yoghurt, especially Total 0%!!!

I also decided to take up running, something I've never done in my life. To make sure I did it regularly, I signed up for a 5K Race for Life on 14th July and I discovered the Couch to 5K programme. After my first training session I was hooked and really love running now. I've had some niggles with hip pain but that is now on the mend and I did manage to run my R4L the weekend before last and get my medal which is hanging proudly. I'm already looking for my next 5K'er.

I guess what I am saying is that, I'm a bit of a reformed character. The changes I've made - as well as being for the better - feel very natural to me - they haven't been difficult, it was as if my body has said "Finally, she's doing the right thing".... :eek: I guess I should have listened before.

Three weeks ago I also started the 5:2 fasting, alongside SW as I was impressed with the health implications of fasting - and at my age these are things I need to consider. This has given my weight loss a bit of a boost (and coincided nicely with me having to stop running for a few weeks with the hip problem so I've continued to lose)

I'm 3lbs off of having lost two stone and I feel fantastic. I have an incredible amount of energy, my stamina has improved from the running and I sleep really well and wake up refreshed - despite this heat and the fact that I get night sweats because of the damned menopause.

I guess I just wanted to tell my story and to say that if I can find the willpower to make major life changes. you can xxx

Thanks for sharing that, I find it fascinating about how sw can change your life.

I think that sometimes you reach a flick-switch moment and when that happens, sw is great because it allows you to lose weight without feeling deprived. Since I started the plan I've met a few people who say that it doesn't work but I'm 2 stone 9lbs down now! I think it's like anything - I compare it a bit to alcoholics anonymous (lol) because some people might go to meetings and still not quit drinking while the person next to them stays sober. The difference is the mental attitude I suppose. The plan works but in return you have to embrace the lifestyle change. Which tbh isn't as daunting as some might think - e.g. last weekend I had Chinese, kebab and a skin full of booze and still lost! I just made healthier choices, boiled rice instead of chips, chicken kebab with salad, and gin and slim line tonic.

I think you just have to accept and embrace the fact that you can't eat what you want, when you want, in the quantities you want anymore. You didn't just wake up overweight one day, it went on slowly, so trying a quick-fix to lose it won't work. You have to find the willpower and what motivates you. I want to be happy, healthy and active as I go into middle age. It's working so far....

I think you just have to accept and embrace the fact that you can't eat what you want, when you want, in the quantities you want anymore. You didn't just wake up overweight one day, it went on slowly, so trying a quick-fix to lose it won't work. You have to find the willpower and what motivates you. I want to be happy, healthy and active as I go into middle age. It's working so far....

couldn't have said it better myself x

Great thread all, thank you for sharing your successes xx

Race for life is a great start cos they don't mind if you decided to walker or run :)

Hi Domane,

Congratulations on you fab journey so far - I envy anyone who can run! Can I ask you about the 5:2? I have been a member since May (well been a member on and off for years really) and am only a few pounds off my target now. I love love love slimming world but I am trying to be more health conscious along side the plan. What would a typical fast day involve food-wise? Am I right that you are to consume 500 cals on these 2 days?

Simone x

If you are contemplating fasting, HH24, I'd strongly recommend you spend an hour watching the Horizon programme that was on last year....

BBC Horizon 2012: Eat, Fast And Live Longer [Video]

It will give you all the information you need and also inspire you to give it a go. If you are on FB, also join the 5:2 Intermittent Fasting Diet group as you will get a wealth of information and support.

You don't "have" to consume 500 calories, it's just that if you feel you can't cope with nothing, you have to limit your intake. Most people will fast for 24 hours and then eat a healthy small meal in the evening. Some people prefer to break it down into breakfast and tea, or lunch and tea. I personally like to fast for a full 24 hours before eating, sometimes I'll eat, sometimes I will wait until breakfast the next day, so I've effectively fasted for 36 hours.... mainly because on SW you don't have to count calories so it was a whole new experience for me. My Fitness Pal can help with that though if you get stuck. The choice is yours, but it is the health benefits that initially attracted me.

Also the 500 calories should be something healthy like eggs, veg, meat and/or fruit, not a Maccy D's!!!! :p

Thanks so much for that info. I did watch that programme which got me interested but never thought of doing it alongside sw until now.

I think I will give it a go and if I do need the 500 cals would use them on sw friendly food.

Thank you again :)

Thank you for sharing your story, it is very inspirational! Good luck with everything! :)

Back