Feels half hearted..

laurenmay

Gold Member
..to be dieting well but not exercising the same time.

Does anyone feel like this?

I'm so overweight that my joints, particularly my knees and ankles, are really painful and swell easily. I'm not sedentary, I'm on my feet all day in work & have a 14 month old to run around after at home.

But right now, with all this excess weight putting pressure on my joints I just don't feel fit enough to do any exercise. I've tried walking which is bareable.. But I also tried workout DVDs which was just too difficult & sore.

Am I okay to avoid exercise for a little while? Just until I've lost some weight and eased some pressure off my body. I'll obviously walk but that's all... I know contestants on shows like the biggest loser are 300+ pounds and manage to hit the gym hard everyday, but they have doctors and physio and all the things I don't have....

Walking is a really good place to start and it does help! I lost weight years ago on we and didn't exercise until nearly at goal. I wish I had because now I am exercising I notice how much my body shape is changing. Walking also gives you something to build on so you can walk for a few months then try an exercise DVD or whatever else you fancy. If your doing more than you did before its better than nothing! Good luck x

xgeorgix said:
Walking is a really good place to start and it does help! I lost weight years ago on we and didn't exercise until nearly at goal. I wish I had because now I am exercising I notice how much my body shape is changing. Walking also gives you something to build on so you can walk for a few months then try an exercise DVD or whatever else you fancy. If your doing more than you did before its better than nothing! Good luck x

I often go for long walks with my LO in his buggy, but the weather is getting colder and crappy over here so I'm not sure how much longer I can carry on going for walks for... I have a gym membership, and used to go daily & was obsessed! But now I haven't been in months & the thought is enough to tire me out. I've got 4 of Jillian Michaels DVDs so I might find the easiest going one & do that a few times a week.. I want my body shape to change quickly! I used to be teeny & I'm desperate to get that way again. xx

I've lost six stone so far on no exercise, just diet, so it's definitely possible. Obviously the ideal is to do both, but I can't and still lose weight. xx

You can lose weight without exercise, but you will probably see results quicker if you exercise as you'll tone up as well as slimming down.

Don't let your weight put you off, I'm far far bigger than you and i try to exercise. As long as you go lower impact and wear properly fitting shoes you shouldn't damage anything.
I'm not confident enough to go to gym, or exercise in public.
I've got a few DVDs but i like just going on Wii Fit. I do some hula hooping, rhythm boxing and 30mins free step.

Wish i had time to do more but i try for 45mins three times a week.

MissAmy said:
You can lose weight without exercise, but you will probably see results quicker if you exercise as you'll tone up as well as slimming down.

Don't let your weight put you off, I'm far far bigger than you and i try to exercise. As long as you go lower impact and wear properly fitting shoes you shouldn't damage anything.
I'm not confident enough to go to gym, or exercise in public.
I've got a few DVDs but i like just going on Wii Fit. I do some hula hooping, rhythm boxing and 30mins free step.

Wish i had time to do more but i try for 45mins three times a week.

I have proper fitting shoes but I've tried running, using cardio equipment at the gym & workout DVDs and all give me really bad pain in my knees. I also badly sprained an ankle and tore ligaments a few months ago in an attempt at exercise! Lol. I was really fit when I was skinny & would spend loads of time at the gym, but now that I've gained so much weight I find basic things like walking a far distance difficult. Bad joints run in my family unfortunately!

Half my post was missing there. Should have said. "yeah i can understand your reluctance to risk damaging your joints if you have a family history of it".

I'm not scared of water, i just don't think everyone else deserves to see me in a cossie. Lol.

DVDs are probably your best bet as you can go a your own pace.

I want to get a rowing machine or exercise bike when i get a little lighter.

Back