Festivals & SW - How do you cope?

I'm off to my first festival in 3 weeks time. We're staying in a B&B (because we are old! :p) so breakfast should be an easy enough affair, I hope, but I'm a little concerned about how I will cope with food during the day. Also, I am going to drink A LOT. I'm veggie, so doing Green, so no fatty burgers or kebabs to tempt me.

Do I just write off the weekend? Enjoy the booze but try to be more careful with my food? Our consultant is happy for people to count back syns for the week if you find it more useful, which I definitely have, so maybe just use my syns for booze, and go light on everything for a couple of weeks?

Would be interested to hear if anyone has been to a festival and been following SW at the same time. :)

If it was me I would write it off and except the gain. I wouldn't be able to have control in that environment.

However you could take a load of SW friendly foods with you and ask the b&b owners if they wouldn't mind keeping it in the fridge for you.

Other than that see if you can find any veggie organic stalls. Things like veggie kebabs, fruit salad. The pasta stall as well, you could have pasta with tomato sauce. Anything you buy will likely have syns in it though so it might be hard to know for sure that you are picking the right things. I always wish I wasn't a veggie at things like this because their is always some barbecue going on where you could get meats which would be fine for SW.

Have a great time!

Can't you enjoy it without loads of booze? What's wrong with moderate drinking? As a teetollar, I suppose I can't understand why people need alcohol to enjoy themselves :confused:

yes i think ur best to write the eeekend off accept a gain and start again when u can
and most of all ENJOY yourself

lardylady said:
Can't you enjoy it without loads of booze? What's wrong with moderate drinking? As a teetollar, I suppose I can't understand why people need alcohol to enjoy themselves :confused:

Well, I enjoy a drink. :) Of course I can have fun without it, but I actually enjoy alcohol and would like to enjoy it as part of the weekend. :)

Wegle & Mushymouth - good suggestions! I think you're both right, I've been waiting for this since November so writing it off is probably the way to go. If I avoid the cheesy chips and try to stick to something that hasn't been deep fried at least I won't feel too terrible about my gain! :D

Which Festival are you going too? I go to loads of them, went to 15 last year. It slowed my losses down a lot as it was very hard and I don't drink, I used Jacket spud stalls, took pack ups of chopped fruit and salads, mugshots, also had a candyfloss, 5 syns as made with a teaspoon sugar. We were in a campervan though so it was easier.
There were also some Indian food stalls that I used having chick pea curry and boiled rice, may have slowed the gains a bit, and lots of exercise dancing and walking miles.

I did write off a few of the festivals though as the food stalls were yummy and all that fresh air made me ravenous!

I went to Leeds fest last year, I avoided the booze, well only had one or two drinks, not been much of a drinker since doing slimming world. I took fruit and cereal bars with me for breakfast and tried to go for healthier options like noodles with blackbean sauce and fajita's with rice instead of a wrap. But I did end up eating a lot of the chocolate and crisps we'd brought for other people and had crepes with spinach and cheese one night... I still lost that week though.

I'd say go with the best intentions, but don't let it ruin your festival if you end up going off plan, just go enjoy yourself and stick to the plan where you can

Donna & Rootsfran - thank you! Having never been to one, didn't really know what food options would be available. That doesn't sound too terrible! I'm going to Download at Donnington Park. I'm hoping the walking and moshing will burn a few calories. ;)

I have been to a couple festivals at various points in time when on sw and to be honest i always look forward to it for a long time and it's a lot of money to be spending so I treat it as a holiday and just enjoy it fully!

Download has an amazing selection of food stalls you certainly won't be stuck for options - I'm veggie too and plenty stuff to eat :-D enjoy download my OH is going but I'm off work injured so not up to it physically or financially sadly! :-(

There's a couple vegan/veggie stalls that have low-ish syn options. Plenty baked potato places, Mexican stalls do veggie chilli burritos yum! I also take a stash of cereal bars and crisps and things with me you can take them to the arena with you for snacking as often you are bit peckish but don't fancy a big meal and most food is about £6!!

Small bottles of water are £2.50 but there's drinking water taps in the arena so fill up there and stay hydrated no need to waste like £20 a day on water! They also used to let you take in sealed bottles of water of your own but not open bottles as obv you could fill them with booze haha!

Though getting alcohol into the arena is really easy if you want to ;-) they search bags but not people do just fill plastic bottles and hide them in big pockets/ down your trousers/ up your jumper etc lol! As you say you are older you might be more sensible than that though haha! X

I would treat as a holiday and then get back on plan when you come back... I attempted to stay on plan when. Went to Leeds feat a couple do years ago and it just wasn't happening, far too much temptation.

If your going to be drinking alcohol I would deffo try and sneak it in, the prices are extortionate. I bought a box of wine and just took the bag out and stuffed it down my front, security don't tend to pat down women so i got away with it no problem.

Quite a lot of festivals I've been to have noodle bars, where theres always a veggie option of just noodles and stir fry veg.

Thanks ladies - I'm quite looking forward to what I might find to eat! :D

I'm going to Rockness festival 2 weeks on Friday, think i'm goign to have to treat it as a holiday because I know I couldn't make the best choices when i'm hungry & drunk, or hungover & hungry! lol x

shezam said:
I'm going to Rockness festival 2 weeks on Friday, think i'm goign to have to treat it as a holiday because I know I couldn't make the best choices when i'm hungry & drunk, or hungover & hungry! lol x

I'm with you honey! There's 6 of us going, it's going to be a heavy weekend. :D But loads of Body Magic getting between stages. :D

I went to reading festival in 2008 whilst doing SW. I took a camping stove so ate a lot of pasta, I took spirits with me so I wouldnt give in and drink cider or larger, I drank a lot....had the odd burger. Weigh in the following thursday - i lost 6lbs!! I imagine it was all the walking around you do etc, I dont know. But I really wouldn't worry about it. Im off to reading again this year, and hoping i'll loose again but was probably just a fluke!

I would go and enjoy yourself, but don't go mad :). Personally I don't need to drink to have a good time, or enhance a good time, I'm daft enough without it! If it's the taste you're missing, a friend of mine was alternating drinking non-alcoholic lager with an alcoholic drink, she barely notices the taste difference (I don't like lager, can't comment!) and didn't feel like she was missing out :)

Back