fibre

gigglyjo

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I was hoping someone could instruct me as to the best way to get fibre without eating carbs.

I am following a low-carb plan as opposed to Atkins, but was hoping you could give me some suggestions. My partner is worried I'm not getting enough fibre, so would really like something we could eat together.

Cheers everyone!

Fibresure capsules or pysillum husks from Holland and Barratt. I got a bottle of 200 capsules and took 2 with each meal. Helps combat constipation as well as assisting with getting the required amount of fibre. Brocolli is also a good source.

thanks Bugaloo - if it comes to it, I will take replacements. But I would really prefer to eat fibre if I can.

On the plus side, I really really like brocolli.

I used flaxseed, just sprinkled a spoon full over the meal I was eating. Worked fine for me

As Laura says, you shoud be able to get enough from fresh low carb veggies. Here is a list and explanation of veggies with the best 'useable' carb to fiber ratio, it is annoyingly Americanised but hopefully still useful. High-Fiber Low-Carb Food List - Fiber Counts in Low-Carb Foods

Another tip is to avoid overcooking veg as this can break down the fibre as well as reducing the nutrients. Try to eat as much raw veg as possible, like plenty of spinach, lettuce and shredded cabbage in salads.

thank you so much everyone. my bf is only being caring but he seems to think that unless you are eating starchy foods you aren't getting fibre. Guess I'll just have to educate him.

That's well put Laura. Good one.

Thanks

As Laura says, you shoud be able to get enough from fresh low carb veggies. Here is a list and explanation of veggies with the best 'useable' carb to fiber ratio, it is annoyingly Americanised but hopefully still useful. High-Fiber Low-Carb Food List - Fiber Counts in Low-Carb Foods

Another tip is to avoid overcooking veg as this can break down the fibre as well as reducing the nutrients. Try to eat as much raw veg as possible, like plenty of spinach, lettuce and shredded cabbage in salads.

Thanks very helpful link.

Have to agree with the veg thing - had loads more than usual this week - especially lettuce - and i can feel the effects!

Back