Extra Easy Filling plate with 1/3 superfree foods

SaraK

Afternoon! I have been doing SW for a while and have lost nearly 1 stone. I have been thinking about what I eat recently and thought that I dont really fill my plate with 1/3 superfree food like veg etc. I came across something on another site that having something like tuna pasta or bolognese where I put lots of veg in doesnt count as my 1/3 of superfree food as its in the meal and should be seperate?

I like to eat a lot of pasta either extra lean mince or tuna etc but am wondering should I be adding more veg etc to make my 1/3?

This is a topic that has come up many, many times and there isn't one answer for it as people tend to disagree. I can only give you my personal feelings on the topic.

If I'm having a meal like fish and chips-I will save a 1/3 of my plate for sf veg so as to naturally limit the amount of chips I eat (Sw friendly or not).

If I'm having something like spaghetti bolognaise I bulk up the mixture with mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes and garlic (I always talk about garlic and genuinely can't be sure if it's sf). I don't have a side salad with spag bol as I feel I've ensured 1/3 of my meal is sf by bulking it out. I eat far less mince than what I would normally because when I spoon it out in to a bowl I'm getting mountains of mushrooms etc.

Pre sw I used to be able to get 3 portions of spag bol from using a pre packaged spag bol mix and 500g of mince. Now I can get at least 6 portions because I bulk it up with so much veg. Sometimes when I'm feeling rather saintly I will have Spag bol with veg instead of pasta but it doesn't happen a lot.

I'm sure there will be other people who disagree with how I do things but in the end it's what works for you. If I stop losing completely (by staying on plan as recently I've been a nightmare) then it's something for me to address but right now it's working for me.

I'm finding it hard to do this as I don't like many things are are SS or S..
I'm having prawns and potatos tonight, what would anyone sugguest what else I could have with it??? Baring in mind I HATE salad :/

I'm having prawns and potatos tonight, what would anyone sugguest what else I could have with it??? Baring in mind I HATE salad :/

Hi there, someone else like me!!!!! (waving like mad). I hate salad too, thats why I do red and green days as youre not so dependant on superfree. When I have a red day I just have salmon and potatoes!!! I am also fussy with veg but love fruit. Are you fussy with veg, and if so which do you like. Could you do a stir fry with onions, mushrooms etc?

Hi there, someone else like me!!!!! (waving like mad). I hate salad too, thats why I do red and green days as youre not so dependant on superfree. When I have a red day I just have salmon and potatoes!!! I am also fussy with veg but love fruit. Are you fussy with veg, and if so which do you like. Could you do a stir fry with onions, mushrooms etc?

Veg im alright with , but not roasted.. I like stuff like brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, sweet corn, sprouts..

Yeah i have salmon and potatoes :) and add in like baby corn with it.

I can't stand mushroom and i dont like onions either :/ Im a huge fussy eater I never find anyone like me lmao! its a rarity!

I go with if your having 1/3 veg in your pastas..surely that's your 1/3 sf! If you where having a roast you would put it all on the fork and eat it anyway! It all goes in the same hole :) ha

Xx

Veg im alright with , but not roasted.. I like stuff like brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, sweet corn, sprouts..

Yeah i have salmon and potatoes :) and add in like baby corn with it.

I can't stand mushroom and i dont like onions either :/ Im a huge fussy eater I never find anyone like me lmao! its a rarity!

Its not so much that I dont like veg, well some I do, dont do sprouts (work of the devil), but I dont like them mixed together on a plate and you say youre fussy!ha ha. I will have mushrooms,onions,tomatoes though in a bolognese, and I add carrots to that list for a casserole. Nowt as queer as folk as we say up North! Or I would have meat n pots, and a shed load of cauliflower, but no other veg. Its quite hard I think to do ee if you dont like salad. Everyone seems to like the stuff. My hubby is now doing S W and lives off greek salad. When I prepare it I think it really does look lovely and healthy, but I seriously could not eat it myself. :(

Its not so much that I dont like veg, well some I do, dont do sprouts (work of the devil), but I dont like them mixed together on a plate and you say youre fussy!ha ha. I will have mushrooms,onions,tomatoes though in a bolognese, and I add carrots to that list for a casserole. Nowt as queer as folk as we say up North! Or I would have meat n pots, and a shed load of cauliflower, but no other veg. Its quite hard I think to do ee if you dont like salad. Everyone seems to like the stuff. My hubby is now doing S W and lives off greek salad. When I prepare it I think it really does look lovely and healthy, but I seriously could not eat it myself. :(

I really understand what you mean.
Oh if i gave you the list of stuff i do and dont do you'd think its unreal lmao!
Im the same i dont like certain things together tho.. like i can eat pepperoni, and ham, and other things but cant have them on a pizza has to be margaritta.
I hate salad! And like you said EE is harder with out liking it. my boyfriend loves it.. I wish i liked it too.
I hate fruit though that's another problem. I only like banana's and can only eat strawberries if i HAVE too... everyone thinks that's wierd lol
good job i hate pasteries and like gregs desserts

Well fortunately I love fruit, all except pears and I pretty much live off it. I so look forward to my strawberries, and melons at night, oh with 2 alpen lights (I can have 2 b choices on red and green)!! Another bonus of those plans. Have you thought of trying them minniex?

Isn't the whole idea of 1/3 of your plate being superfree to reduce your portion sizes generally though? That's why the consultants advise to mentally divide your plate up.

To me, having a big meal bulked up with superfree foods (e.g. bolognese, curry etc) just means that you're just making the content of your meal healthier, I don't count that as my 1/3 superfree at all. I always have either a side of salad or roasted/steamed veg on the side or if that's not possible, I make sure I have some fruit either before or after my meal.

to me 1/3 of ur meal is just that, whether its mixed in or seperate, u could, make a curry with a truck load fo veg and some chicken (for example) then pick the veg out to make it seperate, so that its 12-4 on ur plate, but whats the difference?! if it makes up 1/3 of ur meal then its 1/3 even if its mixed in, its still reducing the size of ur portion of free foods. well thats the way i see it anyway! if im in doubt as to whether my veg in meal makes 1/3 then i will have some on the side.
for example, for lunch, ive just had 2 crab stuffed mushrooms, which was 2 large flat mushrooms (SF) a spring onion (SF) a yellow pepper (SF) a tin of crabmeat (F) some herbs and spices (F) some FF yog (F) and 2tbsp EL mayo (syn) and mozeralla (HEA) now it was all mixed together, but that was most definitely at least 1/3 SF, theres noway i would need soem extra veg or a salad on the side, that would just be eating for the sake of it x

thats why I do red and green days as youre not so dependant on superfree

True, for the moment! But when the new member packs launch in January, 1/3rd SuperFree will be pushed as much on Red & Green days as it currently is on Extra Easy.

vodpod said:
Isn't the whole idea of 1/3 of your plate being superfree to reduce your portion sizes generally though? That's why the consultants advise to mentally divide your plate up.

To me, having a big meal bulked up with superfree foods (e.g. bolognese, curry etc) just means that you're just making the content of your meal healthier, I don't count that as my 1/3 superfree at all. I always have either a side of salad or roasted/steamed veg on the side or if that's not possible, I make sure I have some fruit either before or after my meal.

To me though doing this does reduce the portion, in a Bolognese we used to use a 500g pack between the 2 of us. Now we divide that into 3 and freeze,using 1/3 of a pack in each dinner, making up the rest of the meal out of tinned tomato, onion, courgette, carrot etc.
By doing this I am reducing the total calories in that meal (which is the whole point of the 1/3 superfree)

minniex said:

Oven roasted veg is fantastic if you aren't a big fan of veg onion peppers tomatoes courgette (any superfree veg that's good roasted really) spray with frylite and salt and pepper and drizzle with balsamic and oven roast mmmmmm and if you have some left its good whizzed up with some stock to make soup

Back