Finding Fathers; Dangerous world

hi Kate,
yes i am wondering what happens next, but if you leave out the August / Sept bits you say are confusing will we still understand what is happening & why. It really depends whether it is intrinsic to the plot or not & only you know that.
sorry if thats not any help hun.
have to say so enjoying reading so far, but hope it's helping you rather than hurting you.
xx :)

Aren't readers supposed to feel all sorts of emotions when reading a book?

Just don't make me throw the PC across the room like I did with Apartment 3B!

You write so well I feel like a bit of a stalker - I keep lurking to see if you have written more but I really don't want the story to end.

Sorry, my last post was so selfish - I forget this is actually your life.

for what its worth, im "enjoying" reading this. by this, i mean its interests me and i want to find out what happens next but i respect that this is your life and that many parts of it were obviously not enjoyable. sorry if im making no sense here, its hard to explain! but i mean no disrespect.

Cheryl, Helen, Delli, thanks so much for posting. I know I sound a bit like a english student going "mark my work!" when there's no course or marking scheme.
Please don't feel bad about saying you're enjoying even the unenjoyable bits- as a writer that is exactly what I want to hear! (though I see your reluctance to say it-honestly, I don't think it's selfish not to want it to end! weirdly the writing of the story is almost becoming part of the story in my life now, if that makes sense and helps make this a happy ending).
So much appreciating your feedback. I'm just going to plough on through the weird September stuff and post it here, and if this thing does (fingers crossed) get published, it can always be cut if there's too much. Hoping to post again by teatime.
Thanks
xxx

Amanda didn’t say much as usual and I couldn’t really tell what she was thinking. Before we got back on the bus home, I called in at the newsagents in the bus station. They had a note pinned up on the wall outside saying they were looking for Saturday staff. A harassed looking manageress in a blue overall asked me to go back the next night for an interview. That would be an improvement on getting my hands cold in mince and sausage meat at the job I’d had in the deli and I could get here myself and have my own money. I knew I was going to need that, whenever me and Jim left.

At morning break the next day, the school secretary came over to me as I was walking past the head’s office. “There’s been a phone call for you” she said, I started in surprise, “There’s a message for you to ring James Slingsby on this number at 5’o clock”. She gave me a number I recognised as the number for our house in France. I knew it was Jim using a false name. “Oh, thank you” I said, trying to seem casual about it, but unable to instantly come up with a reason as to why someone was ringing me at school rather than at home. She didn’t show any curiosity though, just gave me the piece of paper with that name and the number written on it. Scanning those words and numbers gave me a thrill because they seemed to evoke him, even though neither the name nor the number were his. I realised that he’d be in the house looking after the dogs now that my Dad and Richard and Helen were on their way back up here. He’d have the keys and be able to phone me when he told Gill he was going over to take the dogs out. And I was going to be in town anyway tonight after having my interview at John Menzies at 4.30. Perfect.

I tell the manageress in their tiny stock room, packed with boxes of cigarettes and chocolate bars, that I’ve worked in a deli and a newsagents before as a newspaper girl and no, I haven’t really worked on tills before but I’m a quick learner. Am I reliable and trustworthy? This seems a bit like the “Are you a terrorist?” question on airplane landing cards, but for the first time I query this in my own head at the same time as I’m saying “yes, I’ve got a good record at school for attendance and I’ve never missed a day at any of my part time jobs”. Am I reliable and trustworthy? I’m planning on leaving the country as soon as I can with a man who steals things for a living. I don’t know how long I’ll be here but I hope no later than Christmas. Oh, and I don’t know who I am. No, I don’t feel reliable or trustworthy. She says I can start work on Saturday. Four pm until nine pm, three pounds an hour.

I head to the rows of phone boxes on the bus station concourse. Grey, rubber flooring, ceiling that almost lets in sunlight through stained sheets of corrugated plastic. A few months in the future I will come back here just so that I can feel closer to Jim, even though the nearest he ever came to here was as a voice at the end of the heavy black B.T handset. That first time we spoke I was nervous as I fed in coins, dialled the number of the house in France. He answered on the second or third ring. “Hello Katie”. His voice as assured as ever. Going from teasing to plotting in one sentence. “So, your Dad’s come back up. Very inconvenient. Or maybe very convenient if we play our cards right. You’ll have to move back down to France with them when they come back”. I told him about my Mum’s reaction to Dad’s sudden decision, about the blank space on my birth certificate and how strange it was to be back at school, pretending that I was going to be staying. He said he was very bored, that he missed me and he looked forward to being together soon. “Be careful” I ended the call to him with the same words as the last time I’d seen him, reluctant to put the receiver down. He said he would try to be at the house on Thursday at 4 o clock. “Four o clock my time?” “Yes, four o clock your time”. The hour difference between France and England reinforced how we were now in different time zones, literally. Jim said that any time either of us couldn’t make a call we would try the same time the next day. This felt the same as arranging our meetings in France had done. The precise detail, which always had to be provisional in case something else came up for either of us. “If I can get away”, “If nothing else happens”, “If not, then the next day at the same time”. All these “ifs” that were years away from being all but eliminated by mobile phones. It seemed to suit Jim and how he operated though. Every arrangement had the air of a bonus that could only happen if the forces of fate didn’t conspire against it.

My chest sank as I approached our house from the bus stop. The other car was back, Dad and Richard and Helen must have arrived. Imposing was the word I always used to have in my head for the house, set back from the main road by a patch of lawn at either side of the path, surrounded by black iron railings. Two big bay windows downstairs, three big bedroom windows above that and two more windows above the big red slate roof with two separate chimney stacks. It was known in the village as the doctor’s house because he’d lived there for years and still kept his surgery there even after he retired. Now, it looked sinister. Almost like it was frowning.

I kept out of everyone’s way as much as possible. Straight up to my room, flopping down fully clothed on my bed, trying to take things in. Luckily this was a house that people could spread out in. Richard’s room was up in the attic along with a “playroom” that had a TV and computer and Dad’s small office. Then on the second floor was my room, my sister’s room, Mum and Dad’s bedroom which had a stunning view over the back of the house (“Forty miles to Ingleton” Mum always said) and a bathroom. Downstairs there was Mum and Dad’s sitting room at the front which just had two easy chairs where they’d watch television, a living room which was never used and became a repository for a dining table, a settee and various ornaments, our children’s sitting room which had a laminate floor, three cane chairs and a television under the theory that we’d just make a mess of comfier seats and carpets, and Mum’s office which was in the old doctor’s surgery and still had the original wooden seats from the waiting room. The kitchen was the friendliest room and somehow escaped the slightly dark, green and gloomy feel of the rest of the house. A bright red Aga, taking up nearly all of the back wall, white and red cherry wallpaper, pine table and cupboards and that same dizzying view over to the hills meant that sometimes there were tantalising glimpses of what could be a warmer atmosphere when everyone wasn’t scattered to the four corners of the house avoiding each other.

Not by that September though. We were soon into our own routines with me and Helen off to school, Mum and Dad out to their business office and on errands and Richard dispatched to the local college to start a catering course.

The first opportunity I got when I was on my own in the house after Dad had gone to pick Helen up from school, I started to do some investigating. I began in his office. That’s where the intercom system that connected his room and their bedroom on the floor below was. Just a black box with a small aerial and buttons which you pressed to listen and to speak. Seeing it now in the new context of knowing what my parents were up to, I wondered how I could ever have fallen for it being “just for fun”. I rifled through papers in his mahogany desk with its drop down writing shelf and lots of little drawers. Nothing that made any sense until in one bottom drawer, lots of little Dictaphone tapes like I’d seen in their maroon suitcase in France with men’s names on. One name I recognised, an employee from their building company. I remembered going to the bank with Mum sometimes which felt like a treat on days off from school. She’d pay in money to this man’s account, which she said was separate to his wages because he wasn’t very good at saving it. I knew he was married with a young child. It had seemed like a really considerate thing to do. Jim said they were blackmailing people. This seemed the reverse of blackmail. Paying someone you were sleeping with. Recording it and keeping labelled tapes? I didn’t really know what that meant but Jim’s explanation seemed to make the most sense. I had a strong sense of the forbidden as I looked through the drawer. Hardly daring to touch the tapes or move them even a centimetre in case my prying was detected. There was always a strong sense of the forbidden anyway in our family. I was always surprised by friends families who had open fridges or cupboards. “Just help yourself” was something that wasn’t said in our household ever. Doors were always closed, we had to knock before we even went into Mum and Dad’s living room. Crouching on my knees with the drawer open in front of me I was alert to every creak on the stairs, every burble in the pipes.

My cautious, terrified investigations meant I would spend years in the future wondering if I’d imagined what I saw. A few months later my sister would look more effectively and over a decade later when we were back in touch be able to tell someone other than her husband and her best friend about it for the first time. As a thirteen year old, whose sister had left home without explanation, she actually watched one of the labelled videos. Saw shaky video footage of my Mum performing a sex act (as they euphemistically say in the Sunday papers) on their employee in the gardens in front of the house in Cumbria where we’d lived from when we were eight until thirteen. The cameraperson was stood on the balcony outside our Dad’s office, and presumably was in fact our Dad. She said she felt sick after she saw the video. At around the same time I would find out, by ordering internet information on their business from Companies House, that the employee in question now owns forty nine per cent of my parents company. He still lives in Bradford according to the electoral roll, with his wife. I remember him as a wiry, curly haired, scruffy bloke in his twenties with kind eyes and a strong Yorkshire accent. It’s safe to say that there is a story here and that I don’t know what it is.

I also had some other ways to investigate, tentatively, that September though. Before that chaotic summer, when I was sitting on the bed in my room, or actually before going to sleep, I used to sometimes turn the dial on my clock radio from Radio One where it usually was (especially for the top 40 on Sunday) and listen out for police broadcasts on shortwave. I’d accidentally discovered them while twiddling the dial and skimming through snippets of Russian voices thrown into the atmosphere by the darkness which lets radio waves travel further. Heralded by a series of beeps it had been a thrill to hear the muffled Police voices with their “Foxtrot” and “Tango” and realise that I was eavesdropping on real live Police officers though they never seemed to be talking about anything more exciting than going on patrol somewhere. Then Mum had bought a cordless white phone. I know she enjoyed the novelty of it. Being able to walk around and take calls, or go and sit in her lounge, curled up on the green armchair, phone handset held in the crook of her neck talking to Dad when he walked the dogs to the phone box down the road everyday in France. It turned out, I discovered whilst trying to find voices amidst the crackle and hiss one night and being surprised to hear Mum’s voice, that you could actually pick up the phone calls from that cordless phone on the shortwave frequency. I remember laughing with Mum and Richard about this strange thing. Then we just forgot about it. Now I remembered. Then I wished I hadn’t.

I only heard, or have a memory of, two of my Mum’s conversations. It was as if two sides of her, both previously hidden from me and separate from each other, emerged out of the static. The first one was with her friend Susan. Her sole other friend apart from Jackie, our Godmother, she lived in Bradford as well and they’d worked together when they were both secretaries at some point. Susan was a friendly Mum of two who still had a dark version of the seventies Purdy bob my Mother had once sported, and seemed to completely fulfil the requirements of the “2.4 children” ordinariness stereotype. I lay on my side in bed in the darkness, hand on the dial of the clock radio, which was on my bedside table and heard my Mum chatting in a more relaxed way than I ever heard her. She was telling Susan how nothing had been sorted out about where we were living and that Jeff was coming back up from France with Helen and Richard but they still hoped to buy a house they could convert into gites there. Then they were talking about sex and being too tired for it, which was already like hearing someone else talk because I don’t think I’d even heard my Mum say the word “sex” before. It was entirely absent from any conversation we’d ever had or that I ever heard her have. I remember her laughing as she and Susan talked about their husbands and she said “Jeff would want it all the time, but they don’t understand do they that you don’t feel like it when you’ve just put the washing in?” and they both carried on laughing, having bonded over the perennial, ordinary complaint of two Mums in their forties in Bradford in 1991, that could have been the complaint of Mums in their forties everywhere about the difficulties of mixing domestic and wifely duties and how their men didn’t really get it. Suddenly my Mum was Everywoman. I warmed to her.

Then, and it must have been the same day or the day after because Dad was either still at the house in France or on his way back, but they had a completely different conversation. They mixed the domestic and sexual, barely skipping a beat. In the same tone as he’d talked about recording Coronation Street, Dad suddenly said “Well, we could always get a lodger and tell him you’d **** him in the price”. I physically jumped at that. The word “shag”, which I’d never heard him use before, hit me with a visceral jump. Then, the shocking realisation that he was coldly, casually suggesting this as a solution to their financial situation. Trading his wife. And my Mother had just replied “Mmm” in the same way that she’d say “Mmm” to agreeing to buy some milk. As if she was used to suggestions like this. As if it was normal. I had a vision of some random man coming to live in one of the attic rooms and sneaking downstairs to get his payment from her for being there. Again, another reversal. Even if this outrageous suggestion actually happened, shouldn’t the lodger be paying for the privilege? Dad had just put Mum in exactly the same bracket as the house. A commodity to be traded. She had acquiesced. I am up for sale, she was saying with her submission. I replayed this snippet of conversation again and again in my head. I was in shock. Up until now the revelations about their sex lives had been at a distance from the reality of the two human people I knew as my Mum and Dad. Things Jim said, photos I half looked at, Dictaphone tapes I didn’t listen to. Now this was a hidden motor behind their relationship in their own words. I was hearing their secret life and it was real not hypothetical.
In future years I would sometimes say, if it came up, “My parents were suburban swingers, like people in the Sunday Sport” and laugh and shrug my shoulders as people responded in kind with shocked amusement. “Their sex lives are their business really”, acquaintances, a therapist, would sometimes say implicitly or explicitly to that. I always have a sense then of being in one of those dreams where you’re shouting and no sound will come out. Of wanting to say more but feeling that I won’t be heard. To say that really, the problem wasn’t my parents chose to sleep with, but the way that for them sex had become something that was tied up with money and power. My mother agreed to be an object who was bought and sold like a house or a car, and I could still hear her, in that argument seven or eight years earlier tearfully saying “Your Dad wants me to sleep with other men while he watches”. At least one of their employees had also agreed to be bought. To add sex to a list of other services he provided, alongside cleaning and painting ironwork and attaching lightning conductors to chimneys.

Although it could be argued that that, in itself, still wasn’t a problem for me I suppose. Yet, the complicated transactions that my parents filled their lives with, formed the invisible backdrop to our own lives. They gave off a dangerous charge that reeled men like Jim and Andrew into the periphery of it, and meant that everything that seemed solid; a house in England, a house in France, a business, was underpinned by the shakiest of foundations. Dad, who used to be an alcoholic on a bottle of Vodka a day and lived on the precipice of two heart attacks, Mum who had been abandoned by the man she had fallen in love with after her father died and brought up twins on her own. Two people who knew what it was to live on shaky foundations and lose everything. Flirting with losing everything again.

Then came another unexplained incident;
The Friday night after we had all by now got back from France, Mum told me and Helen, as we sat in cane chairs in our sitting room, that the next day some men would be coming to talk about buying the business. It was a very important meeting so she wanted us to be out of the house by nine o clock tomorrow morning and would give us some money so that we could go and get breakfast at the café up in the village. Helen’s eyes widening “We’re going to have breakfast in the café? Wow!”. My Mum saying to me “I want you to look after Helen and get yourselves something to eat. Richard’s already going out for football anyway. I want you to make sure you don’t come back until ten o clock.”. She told us carefully and evenly, not in the way she might usually bark instructions about jobs we had to do, or messes we might have made, but in the way of making sure that we understood the importance of leaving by nine and not coming back before ten. She made it sound like she was entrusting me with the important task of making sure me and Helen both got our breakfast and stayed away from the house. It was the having breakfast bought that underlined how very serious and important the meeting must be. Mum and Dad hadn’t paid for food out that they didn’t have to since I was on children’s menus. Spending money when there’s already plenty of food in the house? Something either of them would be likely to disapprove of totally unless there was a very good reason. Maybe that was why I took what Mum was saying at face value. Some men are coming to talk about buying the business, they don’t want us in the house. Even as both me and Helen came downstairs that morning having had a call of “Get up!” at eight from Mum and were given a whole ten pound note by her in the kitchen, even despite what I knew and was still whirling round in my head all the time, I didn’t doubt that some men were coming to talk about the business and it was really important that we didn’t get back to the house until the time we’d been told. Me and Helen walked companionably along the main road, past the old Victorian library where I used to escape to read on evenings and weekends, across the busy junction where the mill still thrived and up past the newsagents to the little café which had aspirations to be a cosmopolitan coffee shop, with red walls and blue tablecloths. We both asked for bacon sandwiches and coffees and chatted away quite happily about school and France and the dogs and friends, me enjoying the responsibility for Helen, being the one to give the waitress our orders and wielding the ten pound note, and her enjoying an outing with her big sister, the animosity she’d absorbed towards me in France forgotten for the morning.

I kept checking my watch and decided at five to ten, having already had another coffee but not wanting to drag out our time any more, that we could safely set off back to the house. As we passed the front of the house and turned off into the drive we saw the battered red transit van that the workmen for the business had used for years. K, the employee whose name I’d seen on the tapes was just coming down the steps from the back door. J, the foreman of the business was in the driver’s seat. He was in his late forties and had worked for my parents for years. With his wind beaten, friendly face, dirt ingrained in his hands and careful, considered way of speaking in a broad Yorkshire accent he seemed as straight as the wooden rulers he carried when he was doing building work in the house. Both nodded hello to Helen and me. I felt a flicker of suspicion about both of them. Then an unbidden image of K and my mother on my parents bed came into my head. I shook my head imperceptibly, as if to physically take the picture away.

Mum and Dad were sat at the pine kitchen table. Four empty coffee cups on it. “What happened with the people who came to buy the business?” I asked chattily, “They didn’t turn up” said Dad shortly. “Oh”. I said and emptied out the change from the ten pound note onto the table. Mum started filling the dishwasher and Dad got up from the table to go outside. It was only years later that I would conclude that had never actually been some people planning to come and buy the business. And even if there were, it wouldn’t have been necessary to send a twelve year old and a sixteen year old out of a very large three storey house if they didn’t want to be disturbed. We could just have been asked to stay in the attic and be quiet. Or even in the living room. Mum and Dad had needed to speak to the two men who worked for them. About what, or why, is part of a still unknown story.

Meanwhile I was still imagining, or hoping, I was in a love story. I was due to speak to Jim later that afternoon after I’d finished my first shift at the newsagents. In the meantime I’d sent him a letter that week to the Poste Restante address in Mansle and quoted some verses from a poem I’d found in the book of John Donne poems he’d given me, about lovers who were separated. “A Valediction; Forbidding Mourning”. It talks about “dull sublunary lovers” not being able to cope with absence because they can’t survive without the others physical presence, but if lovers are “inter assured of mind” they “care less eyes, lips and hands to miss”;

Our two souls therefore, which are one,
Though I must go, endure not yet
A breach, but an expansion,
Like gold to aery thinness beat.

I did miss his physical presence though and kept rerunning the last time we’d kissed in the jeep. But, it did feel as though we were connected even though we were apart. He was in my head all the time. All through my first shift at the newsagents that Saturday afternoon I counted down the hours until I would be able to speak to him. I quite enjoyed the actual job though. The simple transaction of a customer asking for something, me ringing in the amount to the till, giving them change, counting coins out into their hand. Nothing hidden or double here, just an honest exchange. I liked the smell of the tobacco from all the packets of cigarettes as well, and how it mixed with the chocolate from the bars on the counter in front of us. Just after 5pm I took my blue overall with its temporary name badge off and walked across the concourse to the same phone box I’d used before. Jim had the number and was going to be ringing me, so I was relieved it was free. I stood watching the handset, as the second hand on my watch ticked past 5.10. when I’d said he should ring. I still jumped when it did, even though I was looking at it.

His voice. Linking me to him.

“I miss you”

“I miss you”

“I wish I was kissing you”

“I wish you were holding me”

Embarrassment still for me at saying these things, admitting these needs. Jim leading the way, me following.

”Things are bad at home”

“Same here”

You could almost forget he was a man living with a partner and a daughter.
It was as if we were both talking about being teenagers desperate to leave home.

I told him about the tapes I’d found, the phone calls I’d overheard, the fact that my parents were wanting to sell the business. “I don’t what their game is” said Jim, always looking for other people’s games, other people’s agendas.

I was to ring him on Tuesday at 3.30 (“Your time?” “My time”). He would be at the house.

On the radio, the same lines in songs keep leaping out and making me think of him. Chicago’s I am a man who will fight for your honesty. In one way, he is the most dishonest man that I know. But in another way I feel like he is the only man who has told me the truth, the only man I can speak the truth to. Simply Red’s I gave it all up for you. I feel temporary here now. In my bedroom, in the classroom, walking between school and home and bus and phonebox. Jim was asking me to leave with him and I was going to. But I was giving up everything I knew. Burning all my bridges. At the same time I laughed at myself for singing the line; “Gave all what up?”.

Tuesday. As it happens we’re doing John Donne in English. I nurse a secret glee that my copy of the poems has come from Jim. We start by analysing the sexual undertones of a poem called “The Flea”. John Donne apparently trying to persuade a woman that they might as well sleep with each other, since a flea has bitten both of them, their blood has mingled there, so it’s basically the same as having sex. He is a persuader, a charmer, a user of metaphor for his own ends. I feel like I know his kind now. But somehow I believe that I am like that too.

I separate myself from the girls I’d been chatting to in the sixth form common room and leave school by the front entrance. There’s a phone box down Deanstones Lane with a view over rolling, dark green fields. I know I’m less likely to be seen there. I pull open the heavy glass door and feel the hinge immediately snap it shut behind me. I’ve memorised the house number. In pairs of digits after the French dialling code. It rings, the long French tone. Once, twice, three times, four times…maybe he isn’t there. Then it’s picked up. A man’s voice. Not him. “Hello?” “Oh”. “Is that Andrew?” my heart hammering. “Yes. Jim told me you’d be ringing. He said not to worry, he’s alright but he’s been shot”. I take in the “not to worry” and the “been shot” simultaneously and they cancel each other out. “Where is he?” I gasp. “Just at the house. He’s been bleeding quite a lot but he’s fine. Brenda came and dressed the wound. It was in his thigh”. This is surreal. Yet, I’ve seen Jim’s rifle. It seems to fit. He is a man who would shoot, he is a man who would get shot. “Any messages?” asks Andrew. “Yes” I say firmly. The fear of what I might not have time to say kicking in. This felt embarrassing, exposing, being about to let a secret feeling out to this man who was matter of factly acting as a go between and showing no more concern in his voice really than if he was telling me Jim couldn’t come to the phone because he had a cold. “Would you mind telling him that I- love him?”. “Right”. Andrew says “He should be alright by tomorrow. He’ll be here at four, your time.”. After I put the receiver down I stared blankly through the glass of the phone box at the hills beyond for a good minute or so, all the energy had drained out of me. Then I walked home taking the short cut through the cemetery. I flopped down on one of the wooden benches for a while that overlooked the mill and the school. Soon I might not be here any more. Heading into Jim’s precarious world. I saw him crying out in pain, heard a shot discharging, wished desperately that I could be wherever he was, hold his hand. Was he in bed at the house? Was Gill wiping his brow like they do in films? Did she feel the ache at the pit of her stomach that I was feeling now?

The evening in my room at home and the next day walking from classroom to classroom in a daze and spending a free period in the library watching the words of the Daily Mail dance in front of my eyes passed agonisingly slowly. Then it was 4 o clock and I was at the phone box again. Seconds ticked past four on my watch. Then a minute, then another minute. Please let him ring, please let him ring. Suddenly, harshly, like a shrieking bird, the ringing broke the silence.

"I'm alright" he insisted, "there's nothing wrong". Answering my questions, sounding a bit slurred. Not himself. "I was outside your house" he said, "and someone shot me from the field, it must have been someone taking potshots at your Dad. Someone doesn't like him. Well, lots of people don't like him". In the world I now lived in, this seemed possible. Someone could have just shot my Stepdad for some undisclosed reason. Cause and effect did not need to match up any more because they didn't seem to in any other area of my life. Have you been to hopsital? I was asking. "You can't go to hospital with a gunshot wound" Jim replied. "The Police have to be involved then, I know a Doctor, he's sorted me out, I'm fine, honestly". He talked about sending me money via Amanda's so that I can get a boat across. Then he suddenly said "You could always come and live with me and Gill you know." "What?" I said, stunned. "I don't think that would work very well". I couldn't figure out what he meant by suggesting that. How on earth would we manage to see each other if we lived under the same roof as she did? By the time he said he had to go I felt completely disorientated and confused. I walked back home slowly, sentences he'd said flying through my head, a feeling of not-rightness about everything. In my bedroom I sprawled across my bed and wrote him a letter, trying to set down in my messy, slanting handwriting, how hurt I felt.

"The nasty letter you wrote me" he called it in a conversation a few days later. His defensiveness at my attempt to say how I felt made me pull back from saying any more about it. He'd turned the conversation into something that was now in the past, an aberration; "I was delirious because of the painkillers" he said. Then; "There's been a technical problem and we need to go as soon as possible. A boat won't be quick enough. I'm going to send another £90 and you need to book a plane as soon as you can".

The urgency in his voice drove me on. My head was full of arrangements, plans, timetables. I'd kept going to the youth advice shop in the mall in Bradford after school and asking all sorts of odd questions. Legal rights for sixteen year olds leaving home, adoption procedures, birth certificate meanings, boat timetables, how to get to Leeds Bradford airport...

I began storing some of my clothes in my locker at school so I wouldn't arouse suspicion by taking a big bag when the day came. Amanda had already passed me a letter from Jim, which I'd taken to the toilets to open. It had seventy pounds in ten and twenty pound notes. Now, I told her I was expecting another letter in the next few days. I regretted having told her anything about Jim, because now I had to lie to her as well, as I wasn't going to tell her my departure was imminent. I asked Mum for an advance on the £40 I was going to be paid by John Menzies at the end of the month so I could get some clothes. She said yes, without any coldness or conditions and counted out the notes for me one day before I went to school. Both she and Dad were suddenly being nicer to me suddenly, and I wasn't feeling I had to dodge their criticism every time I came into either of their orbits. The whole family was still existing in separate rooms in the house and just passing through without sitting together or eating together, but the atmosphere had lightened somehow. I felt guilty as I took the money, knowing I wouldn't be back to pick up the wages I was taking an advance on.

I left school early and went into the shopping mall. It had a covered market upstairs and I wandered through the stalls, permeated by the smell of frying bacon from the cafe, and bought a couple of pairs of nicer knickers than I usually had. Black, skimpy thongs from the underwear stall. Though as I shoved the plain white carrier bag containing them down into the bottom of my school bag I felt like I was playing at being a woman rather than actually being one. Passing a record stall I thought I could get Jim a present, to sort of mark our reunion, and remembered Gill saying how he was liking Leonard Cohen at the moment. Flipping past "Captain Beefheart" and "Cool and the Gang" I took it as a sign when there was just one Leonard Cohen cassette there; "Songs from a Room". Then, onto the travel agents to ask about flight times to Paris. Jim had said that was best, he could drive up and meet me there. Our now daily phone calls were full of the plans and arrangements. I read out to him the times of the various flights. He said things were getting bad for him, he hoped the money would arrive soon, he needed to just get out of there. "Destroy your Dad's passport and get his American Express chequebook" he said. This became another of my tasks on a list I started and carried around in the zipped pocket of my school bag. I found the passport and chequebook easily enough in his office and hoped they would still be in the same place by the time I went. I thought Jim meant me to destroy them both so that Dad wouldn't be able to leave the country and follow us. "You should write a letter both to your parents and to your school saying you've decided to leave home" he instructed, "That way they won't be able to say that I've abducted you". I said I didn't want to write a letter to the school, didn't like the idea of my teachers reading a letter from the girl they knew as top of the class, "a character", announcing she was running away, but Jim persuaded me it would be the best thing. He had sent the money on the Tuesday. We hoped it might arrive by the Friday, Thursday if we were lucky with the post. Thursday morning I told Mum I was ringing Amanda to see if we had a music practice after school. "Anything to bring to school?" I asked her, knowing she would know what I meant. "No, nothing" she said. I sighed. We had the same conversation the next day as well. Jim sighed as well on the phone when I told him "Bloody postal service" he said. "Looks like it's going to be Tuesday if the money comes through Monday".

I was aware of everything being the last. I was detaching myself from my life even more, becoming a ghost in it before I'd even gone. The last shift at John Menzies. The last time I'd get a bus back home from Bradford...
Not so many lasts at home, as it didn't feel there were any routines or certainties to break. I was so cut off from Mum, Dad, Richard, Helen and friends at school that I didn't picture not seeing them again, or seeing them again. I was convinced Mum and Dad wouldn't want their secrets to be uncovered and so wouldn't try and reverse my disappearance. Dad having spent the last year in France with Helen meant we were used to not being together as a family. It was as if all of us were temporary in the house. I was a satellite ejecting before the space shuttle exploded, or just carried on drifting directionless and detached from wherever it had set off or wherever it was heading.

Monday morning, I ring Amanda again. "There's a letter for you", "Right, See you at school". Butterflies in my stomach as she handed over the white envelope with the French Britannia stamp. Again, I opened it in the toilets. A note from Jim in his jagged, sprawling writing and £90 in notes. I already had the other money in my purse. Hurried along the path to the bus stop that lunch time, passing groups of younger students in uniform laughing and chatting, trying not to catch the eye of any fellow sixth formers who might want to stop and talk or ask where I was going. "Could I have a one way ticket to Paris from Leeds Bradford on the 1.30 flight tomorrow?". I ask in a definite voice in the travel agents. "One way?" says the pleasant woman, with what I hope isn't suspicion in her voice. "Yes, one way" I say as casually and breezily as possible, trying to convey that the return is all taken care of. I keep fingering the printout of it in it's cardboard wallet as I walk down the cobbled street. One way. No return. After tomorrow nothing will ever be the same again.

Hi Kate

Seen a couple on posts from you on other threads today - are you doing OK?

Hey Kate

Just read the last, printed out, 17 pages of ur diary.... what an amazing writer you are I'm practically there with you.

Looking forward to your next installment when you are up to it.

Hope things are well with you sweetie

lots and lots of love xxxxxxxxx

That's v weird.
Just gone back to my old weight loss diary now, then thought I'd check here.
Thanks so much Gen.
I'd like to get on with this at some point but am loath to go back to it while I have stuff on in the real world. A few weeks I think.

xxx

Hi Kate

Seen a couple on posts from you on other threads today - are you doing OK?

Hello!
Just seen this. Thanks for asking and noticing.
Yes, am okay on the whole. Emerged back into the "real world" for a bit, so had to step away from this for a while. Will be back.
Must say, I'm not as content now as when I was immersed in doing this though, even though it required me to go to dark places!

Take care
Kx

If you're sixteen they'll call your leaving home running away.
If you're a 46 year old man, they'll call it leaving your wife, or leaving your family.

For me when I was sixteen I was certainly leaving my family.
Maybe my real father was running away when he told his wife and son he was going to be with someone else, with my Mum.

My Mum, who didn't have anything to lose or leave, since she was already waiting in the flat they'd rented.

Anyway, that's her story. The one I don't know. The one she summed up in the first words she wrote me in sixteen years, with the sentence "I should have known better, but we all do silly things sometimes".

This is mine.

One October day in 1991 I left home. I left my family. I ran away. Or, I ran towards. I was running towards a man who said I deserved more than my parents. Who was offering me a life of freedom. A life of freedom that he was going to control. Anyone thinking, out of the frying pan and into the fire? Even part of me was then. But mostly, I was acting on instinct. Fight or flight, and I'd chosen flight. One heading from Leeds-Bradford Airport to Paris on October 1st 1991.

That morning I closed the red back door behind me, took a last look through the kitchen window where that red aga and round pine kitchen table seemed to promise a cosy space, somewhere warm, where a family could gather, but where they never actually ate together and hadn't for years. I had a blue canvas sports bag with some more of my clothes in, some toiletries, and a bigger canvas bag, folded up and ready to be filled with the clothes I'd been storing in my locker at school.

I took my usual route to school, along the main road, past the sandstone mill building that had once been the beating heart of the village, cutting down the snicket across the wasteland and through the back gates into the sixth form entrance. Streams of students in blue and white uniforms pouring into the grey building to sit in rows. I avoided the eyes of some I knew and half knew. Head down, looking purposeful, knowing I was about to start walking against the tide. I'd timed it well, the bell rang as I got through the door and people began surging towards registration. My heart beating I got to my wooden locker, hands shaking, getting out the bigger bag and shoving clothes and the smaller bag into it. I hoisted it over my shoulder. It could look like a very bulging sports bag, but the bit that might arouse suspicion was when I headed back out of the sixth form door while everyone else was in the common room round the corner. I walked quickly, feeling the weight of the handle digging into my shoulders. Walking out across the tarmaced grounds. Shoulders tensed, half expecting a shout of "Oi, where are you going!" even though I'd left school during the day several times during the last month. I hadn't been carrying a big bag any other time though. Crossing the road to the post office, to the bus stop. Willing the 576 to be quick, to take me away before anyone stopped me. Relief as the green and white double decker rounded the corner. Fumbling for change and flashing my half fare pass. Signs on the bus advertising Day Rover tickets. Travel all over Yorkshire for just one fare. Things I didn't need to know about any more. Those journeys I wouldn't be making anymore. Signs for other people, not for me. This world having somehow an air of being out of date. I breathed a huge sigh of relief as I settled into my seat, bag balanced awkwardly on one next to me.

Twenty two minutes later, if the 576 was on timetable, hauling it up the steps to get the train to Leeds. Scrap of paper in my pocket with bus and train times scrawled across it. Nowadays maybe I'd have been texting Jim throughout the journey; "I've made it out of school", "I'm on the bus", "I'm getting on the train". Then, knowing I was completely alone for this part of it. Having faith, because there was nothing else to believe in, that he would be waiting for me at the airport in Paris.

At Leeds train station I went to the dirty, white tiled toilets, tried to avoid the pools of water on the floor and got changed into my black jeans and a grey and black striped cotton top. Clothes I hadn't worn to school. Not quite a disguise, but enough to make me feel like I wasn't as obvious a sixth former in "smart casual" skirt and tights. I pulled out my StepDad's passport and American Express book from my bag and tore the pages in the passport and pulled the binding off, and ripped the chequebook, as best I could, into quarters. I put them into a yellow rubbish bin on the train platform, they still had bins in stations then, pushing them under white polystyrene burger cartons and soiled tissues. Feeling a frisson, a thrill and a fear, at destroying important documents. My Stepfather's important documents. This was the first time I felt a sense of freedom. I was leaving, I had left, I had broken the rules and no one was going to be able to come after me or doing anything about it. I was stepping into another world now. I wasn't playing to my parents rules anymore. Unfortunately, dangerously, I wasn't going to be playing to my own either...

I find the right bus for the airport just outside the train station and settle into my seat with a sigh of relief. Each stage in this journey feels further away. Another hurdle crossed. No hand tapping on my shoulder yet to stop me.

Checking in at the airport is another stage. Leeds-Bradford is only small and I can see immediately which desk I need to be at for Paris. I feel more conspicuous now. There's no shortage of teenage girls on their own wandering around Bradford or Leeds train stations, but there aren't any others in this glass and chrome building. I hand my passport over, the woman at the desk gives it a cursory glance and checks my big holdall in. It's a relief to get it off my shoulder. I follow the signs to the departure gates. Heart pounding as customs men and women in uniform scan the passengers walking through security. My ears tense as I pass under the X ray machine but there's no beep.

I'd bought a Daily Mail and try and read it on the plane but I can't concentrate. I watch the safety briefing and try and take it in. All the flights to America to see Dad's family and then in recent years flights to France. This is the first where I'm entirely alone though. Pushed back into my seat by the power of the takeoff I see the green patchwork quilt of Yorkshire fields on a tilt below us. This leaving that still doesn't feel quite real.

Then, a landing that doesn't feel real either. I remember my twin brother's reflex of always being sick at the exact moment of landing. The sick bag being marshalled into position at just the right moment for the inevitable. I don't feel nauseous but my stomach is light. Butterflies at the thought of seeing Jim again. It's been a month.

I have two picture memories of our reunion. They're like a before and after. In the first he is smiling at me as I walk through passport control. His wide grin, teeth white against his dark beard. "Let's get out of here" he's saying, after kissing me quickly on the lips, putting his arm round me. "I've seen two people I know in the last twenty minutes, I don't like airports".

Then, we are in the lift down to a multi storey car park. It's dark, smells foisty, there's French graffiti on the walls. "You put the passport and the card in the bin?" Jim is saying incredulously. My stomach drops along with the lift. Seems this wasn't the plan. I was supposed to have them with me. We were going to use them. Now there's no money "I had to leave in a hurry" Jim is saying. "I don't know how we're going to get to Turkey". Seeing my stricken face he adds "It's alright, I'll come up with a plan, I always do". I have a feeling that I can't quite name as dread in the pit of my stomach. I wish this was straightforward. I feel like I've messed up. Shown him that he can't rely on me. I just want to stay in the lift and be held by him but we get straight out as the doors open and walk quickly to a small, white car. The seats smell strongly of leather. Jim takes the wheel confidently. I stay quiet as he negotiates the streets out of Paris, and says we're heading for Germany. He switches the cassette player on and country music fills the car. A woman singing with a catch in her voice about wishing she was "back on Blue Bayou". Louisiana, Paris, Bradford, Turkey, Germany. I feel dislocated in the midst of all these places that I'm getting tastes of, but aren't fixed in any of them. I'm relying on Jim to be an anchor. "This car's stolen" by the way he suddenly announces.

These sections are difficult to write. The 32 year old and 16 year old me are so far apart.

I read this in the diary I started a couple of months after I got back;

“We talked about sex a lot in the car and he managed to drive and grope me thoroughly at the same time”.

Then after we’d checked into a small hotel near the German border;

“We went to a supermarket and got some coke and grapes. I envisaged future domestic scenes. We ate at a Chinese restaurant and then went back to the hotel and made love. We talked for ages, the Leonard Cohen tape was on and I slept in his arms, although neither of us slept much. I suddenly went all quiet and tearful and wanted him to hold me. Shock I suppose. He woke me up by making love to me very violently and kneading my breasts so hard I cried out”.

I was sixteen, he was forty six.
A summer romance is one thing. Sunflower fields, Jane Eyre fantasies, a mysterious older man. But now the balance of power had tipped too far his way. I’d left the shifting tectonic plate that had passed for my family stability, but much as I would like to have thought the opposite, I couldn’t easily make my own way without him. Anyway, I had no destination or goal of my own. The impulse had been to leave home and to go towards Jim. My life had narrowed down to that push and pull. Even if I could have recognised the increasingly obvious fact that he was a violent and controlling man taking advantage of a vulnerable and inexperienced girl, then I don’t think I could have allowed myself to see it properly at that point. I’d spent several years thinking that I was standing up to my controlling Stepfather by either arguing or withdrawing. The words “vulnerable” or “victim” weren’t in my dictionary for myself. It makes some of the diary and the way it seems to merrily hop from statements which should set alarm bells and sirens sounding, to factual descriptions of our journey on the run, difficult reading for me.

“We set off early for Saarbrucken. Jim had left the keys in the boot all night and that set him off worrying about why he was trying to destroy himself-no conclusions but he was unsettled. I looked awful and thought I was going to start my period but didn’t. He said when we got to Frankfurt I was to ask for Herr Kutzner and say a man outside wanted to take him for dinner. Underworld code? Apparently not. We got to Frankfurt and after endless driving around got to Opalstrasse, which was apparently a place Jim used to live and had relieved a nearby bank of £19 000. He told me of how he used to sell wool in the German market and chat in German to the old ladies. Once the tax people got him and he didn’t know what was happening when they knew the exact times of all these wool deliveries until it was pointed out to him that the building he lived in was riddled with tax workers. Kutzner had apparently gone to a caravan exhibition in Essen and we set off in that direction. We stopped at another B and B, had a meal and went to bed. He seemed unaccountably eager to show our father daughter passports. He said that to inflict pain during sex turned him on. I’m not a true masochist though. Transport was a prerogative and it was in connection with this that we were seeing Kutzner. Eventually we got to the Messehaus in Essen and after what seemed like hours we found this man’s stall. He greeted Jim effusively and showed him into one of the show caravans. “And this is…?” he said looking at me, plainly wondering if I was Elinor (Jim’s daughter) grown abnormally. “No” said Jim “This is a friend I met in Spain six weeks ago”. This man was ages showing others around and when we finally got to talk to him we got nowhere, though of course I didn’t have any idea where Jim was aiming for. He needed hospital treatment at this point for his leg but wouldn’t get it. Kutzner was a creep, said I was ”pretty” and was Jim good in bed. I was stunned but said “I’ll reserve judgement on that”. A man was asking me about Spain where I was supposed to have come from-what a farce. Jim was unconcerned and no help.”

I read this now and find that both my memory and re-engaged brain can fill in some gaps that the diary doesn’t.

We’d met this old associate of Jim’s at a huge motor show. Gleaming cars and caravans filling a large modern hall space. Kutzner was a tall, lean man with sculpted features and sparse greying hair. He’d looked amused throughout Jim’s introduction of me, knowing that “friend” was a euphemism, and his later mentions of Jim’s former partner and daughter were obviously calculated to make him feel uncomfortable, or at least were teasing nudges. He’d also asked me what I saw in Jim and said “Is it is big, blue eyes?”. It was an adult set of transactions that felt strange and way over my head. Whoever the man was who was asking me about Spain, and I can’t remember if it was a passing customer or someone who was working for Kutzner, may well have thought it was obvious that we were fabricating a story and was testing it out for fun.

Jim presumably went to Kutzner to call in a favour from someone he’d formerly been involved in dodgy deals with. A seller of caravans and motorhomes would be a pretty handy person for a general all-purpose smuggler to know. Kutzner told us that the vehicles from the motor show were all taken out of the back doors at night and security was lax if we needed transport. Jim had scoffed at the suggestion afterwards, he’d been angling for more immediate financial help than that. Though I hadn’t remembered until reading the diary just how in the dark I was. It was as if I had no expectation that he would tell me what his plans were, or that I had a right to ask. Just the way I’d been brought up at home.

And then there’s that sentence casually shoved in the middle of this ill advised quest for help, and just after I’d noted how at the Bed and Breakfast he’d shown our matching family passports when we signed the registration forms. It had turned out that Jim had stolen my Stepfather’s passport months earlier. I remembered the fuss my Stepfather had made when it went missing, turned the house upside down and in the end had to apply for a new one. Jim had had it all along. I didn’t quite understand why. He said that passports came in useful. And indeed, in the life of an international criminal, the greater number of identities you can have, the better. I felt queasy though at the way that we were going up to the room as father and daughter. I was still reeling from the shock of discovering that my father wasn’t my father. A man who was my lover posing as my father on my imposter father’s stolen passport was a set of identity shifts too far.

Last edited:
Many thanks Sara.
I'm quite close to the end of the writing now and am okay (and in love with a lovely, kind man which helps!). A literary agent's agreed to look for a publisher for this for me and is very hopeful and encouraging about it, so fingers crossed. Just going to keep adding more installments as I write them.

I didn’t mention our bank robbery did I?

There I go again, melodrama, since it wasn’t quite a bank robbery. It’s frustrating sometimes how I seemed to have stepped into a crime novel, when I was also in the middle of what could be sensitive rite of passage writing about how a sixteen year old girl’s sexual awakening and identity construction were being influenced (hindered) by some bullying, not quite paternal older men. I suppose we can’t always (or even usually) end up with the narrative that we’d most like to tell.

Anyway, I stepped out of chronological order a bit, when I went into parts from the diary about Jim and his newly revealed sadistic tendencies. The robbery happened on the way from the airport. The plan Jim came up to with to compensate for how I’d got rid of the cheques and passport. He said that actually, he had some of my Stepfather’s documents, including his Credit Lyonnais chequebook and perhaps we could use them to get enough money from his account to see us through to Turkey.

My diary is understated as ever;

”We found a Credit Lyonnais branch and I did all the talking in French. We got 5000 francs. I was elated.”

Jim said that we could say that our car had broken down and we needed cash for garage repairs. About £500 would be plausible. Well, by we, he meant me, since he didn’t speak much French. My heart was thumping as the cashier in the quiet, soft carpeted bank called the manager out to see if they could bend the rules and let us draw cash on a cheque. I used my acting skills, seeing this as some kind of audition to be in Jim’s life as a useful partner, and elaborated in French about how we were on our way for a little holiday in Germany and my father’s car had broken down, but a little garage had told us they could repair it straight away for 5000 francs. Smiling and nodding the manager agreed to arrange for us to have it in cash “pas de problem!”.
Jim and I grinned at each other as he instructed the cashier. I was rationalising this in my head as money that my Stepfather would have spent on me if I was still at home. Sort of an advance on the sixth form years he wasn’t now going to have to feed me during. Although I was naturally fairly honest, I felt a thrill at how easy it had felt to construct a story and get someone to believe it. I’d also enjoyed playing a part. Escaping from me for a while. It was another irony of course that I’d been playing the part of a helpful daughter on a leisure jaunt with her Dad.

After the abortive attempt to get help from Jim’s creepy old associate at the motor show we headed into the next big city of Cologne. That area of Germany felt very grey and industrial and ugly. Road after road of factories and smoking chimneys and warehouses and graffiti. The leaden feel matched our mood. I recorded;

“We were both quiet and despondent. He needed hospital treatment for his leg at this point but refused to get it. We didn’t make love that night though he woke me up with it in the morning. He said he felt guilty about Evie and I hoped that was the explanation. We went back to the Messehaus and he saw Kutzner alone while I went and had a coffee (feeling dead grown up). He came back and said that Kutzner was playing games. It was then that we formulated the plan. It felt better to have a plan. He said he needed excitement and intrigue and he should have been a General in a war, and when he didn’t get it he was sulky and bored (with the implication, like this morning). He had that said that he’d been stuck in moneyless situations before but something had always turned up and he hadn’t been able to see how it was going to this time. He felt hopeless. Then he rang James in Blackpool and Andrew, we changed £150 of English money and got the plane ticket for me. I was taken aback by the speed of it. I don’t think I fully understood the plan at this point.”

I definitely didn’t. But it was relief to have him seeming to be in better mood. I was being given a role. And even though I didn’t understand exactly what he wanted me to do in Blackpool, I felt like I was going to be able to be useful somehow. It was a measure of how convinced we were that my family wouldn’t risk drawing attention to themselves by making a fuss about my disappearance that we would risk me going back to England. I had been trying to put my family out of my mind completely. On the teatime of the day I left home we’d walked to a phone box and I’d dropped one French coin into the slot. Dialled my home number, knowing my Mum would just have got in. She said “Hello?” and I quickly launched into the paragraph I’d rehearsed in my head;

“I’m leaving home because of what I’ve found out about you, I’m going to London, don’t try to find me, there’s a letter in the post”.

It all came out in one breath and I clanked the receiver down before I could hear any reaction. Not that there would have been a loud or instant reaction. My Mum was as emotionally closed as I was then.

Later that night Jim had gone to ring Gill, leaving me in the hotel room. He came back with his face grim, saying my Dad had rung her straight after my call home and said Jim had twelve hours to ring him or he’d inform the Police. My diary records that “We couldn’t work out how my parents figured out so quickly that we were together”.

Though what strikes me now, with a distance of years, is how irrationally we were all thinking. With the letter Jim had insisted I write to the school going to arrive the next day, it was very unlikely that the Police weren’t going to be called anyway. It also leaps out that me going back to England when all parties involved knew I was with Jim, wasn’t a very good idea. Especially when the plan seemed to involve drawing on more money from my Stepdad’s account.

My diary entry about the last day that Jim and I were together goes into quite a lot of detail, but also misses out some vital things. I rifled back and forth through the pages of my diary when I realised this, checking that I hadn’t at least hinted at it, but I hadn’t. The repression or denial or skipping over was total. Although I had gone as far as to say;

“He said that to inflict pain during sex turned him on”…

but I merely commented that; “I’m not a masochist”

In reality, my chest was a mass of bruises from how he was handling me roughly. I kept up the same sort of mental resistance that I had to my Stepfather’s conflicts “This isn’t me, I’m something else”, which allowed me to separate myself from the pain I was feeling, and therefore also separate Jim in my head from the person who was causing it. I recorded;

“It was that day we did the lottery tickets. On one of them we won another ticket. It was at a vendor outside the Bahnhof and the beautiful Cathedral. We took it as a sign. Also, on our way to the hotel, he suddenly said “Do you believe in signs?”. It turned out that the car in front had part of its registration as “Kay” which was his real name. Earlier he’d said Eveleigh wasn’t his real name and so we’d joked the dedication for the book (he’d said suddenly sincerely that he thought I would write one day) could be “To Jim, whose real name I never did find out”. Turns out even Gill didn’t know his real name which pleased me. He went off that night before the meal to ring Julie, Gill’s sister, he said. Fishy? We’d had a drink of champagne in Cologne Hauptbahnhof, then we had some cheap wine he bought. Then God knows how many glasses of German white wine before and during the meal. He told me lots of anecdotes about his tearaway youth in Redcar with Peter who seemed important to him. He then said that tonight I could “win or lose”, nothing about me could be private. I was well away, the room spinning. I was in an unreal world. We got up to the room. I asked if it was as intense as this with Gill- “In the beginning”, “Will you love me more than Gill?” “Yes”. He started to make love to me but then I felt sick and the whole of my stomach went in the sink. He cleared it up. I had a shower. We slept. In the morning his leg was killing him he said. He had a shower, then made love to me. I showered and packed. We had breakfast. He was hungover because he’d mixed his drinks he said. We laughed about it.”

Again, still more things strike me even now in the writing. He rarely drank. Said he didn’t like being out of control. But he made sure that I was drunk that night.

I remember our meal was steak. Two thick red steaks that left pools of blood on the plate.

And I remember that he used a wine bottle on me, inside me, even when I asked him not to, and it hurt. I remember feeling bruised, inside and out the next day. But somehow I compartmentalised this, though I didn’t forget it. I didn’t tell anybody for years. Because it didn’t fit with the narrative I was telling myself and other people about the soulmates, separated by bad luck and difficult circumstances.

The diary recounts the morning that I flew back to England from Frankfurt Airport, four nights after I’d flown to Paris;

“We had a cold drink at the airport. He’d given me all the stuff. I was to meet Andrew in Blackpool. I had his number to ring him from London. I had qualms about the supposed plan to dump him in Germany but was looking forward to driving to Turkey through Poland etc. Jim said “How do you feel about being a jetset?”. He put his arm around me as we said goodbye at the gate. I set off through the barrier, waved. He waved and smiled and that was the last time I ever saw him”.

That was the case when I was writing the diary two months later. When I had no idea where he was, or if he was alive and was convinced we would never meet again. It would actually be nearly five years before we met again. At a time when I had finally begun to recognise how someone treated you if they really loved you. When I’d finally begun to recognise that I needed to treat myself with love too. As I looked back and waved through that departure gate, I was blissfully ignorant of the departures and losses that were yet to come.

Last edited:
Thanks Mandy! It's a very strange story, but good to get it written down.

In the next few days I am going to see a heroin addict shooting up, walk past the Chancellor of the Exchequer in the street, commit another bank fraud, have my palm read, feature in “The Sun” and be arrested.

Luckily I don’t know any of this when I touch down at Heathrow. In my diary entry I don’t so much have the wide eyed enthusiasm of someone as old as sixteen; more like someone as young as six;

“On arrival at Heathrow I was impressed. Here I was on this big adventure all on my own. A part of me was still numb though.”

Carrying out Jim’s instructions I got the tube to Euston. Overwhelmed by the mass of people, but feeling purposeful. I rang Andrew’s Mum to give my arrival time after I’d bought my ticket up to Blackpool. My diary says I posted a letter to Mum and Dad and a postcard to my friend Amanda. I can’t recall at all what I put in these, but know the purpose of them was to throw them off the scent by making them think I was in the capital after all.

I read papers on the train, relieved to see I wasn’t in them, and watched the fields and cities blurring past the window. Nothing felt real. I’d worried I wouldn’t recognise Andrew when I got to Blackpool station, but I did straight away. Tall, dark hair, long face. Something of the look of a young Hank Marvin I thought. I didn’t tell him that. I suggested we go for a coffee at the station so I could tell him Jim’s plans. Because I was in possession of knowledge that he wasn’t, and because I was an emissary for Jim who had things he wanted, like the expertise to smuggle antiques and guns, then I suddenly felt quite empowered. Here I was chairing a meeting at a railway station to discuss criminal plans. What with the British Rail coffee, and the fact that I was in reality, entirely at Andrew’s mercy, then I wasn’t very close to being the Mafia-type chief I temporarily seemed to imagine I was. I did give him the message that Jim had told me to convey though; “Any cock ups and it’s either suicide or a monastery”. He’d said that Andrew was scared of him which would come in handy. I was also supposed to tell him that we were all going to Turkey and that there were loads of antiques (Smuggled ones to sell. This wasn’t true. I was definitely not supposed to let on that Jim had no money or means of getting any).

We walked then through back streets of Blackpool to find a Bed and Breakfast. It was dark and flashes of Blackpool’s promenade life could be heard drifting through the streets as we walked. The clack of slot machines, and pop music blaring from arcades.
We stopped at one called “Thirlmere”, on it's own at the bottom of what seemed to be a quiet residential street. A friendly middle aged woman let us in and said she had a vacant single room. I didn’t care whether or not she thought Andrew was my boyfriend. It felt like ages since I’d had a conversation with someone in which they knew who I really was, and what my true relationship was to anyone else around me. Andrew said he’d wait in the lounge for me while I got sorted out and then perhaps we could get something to eat. I liked the room. Chintzy but cosy with a washbasin on the wall and a flowery bedspread. It felt like a safe place. I quickly changed my top and me and Andrew walked back out into the night.

The next morning I would discover that this B and B was directly behind the Imperial Hotel. The hotel where Margaret Thatcher and John Major and lots of other Tory bigwigs were currently staying because it was the week of the Conservative Party Conference. That was why Police officers lined the back street and the front of the prom at regular intervals just in front of the B and B and there were snipers on the roof which overlooked it. In a town with one of the highest proportions of Bed and Breakfasts and hotels in the country the “Thirlmere” didn’t therefore stand out as one of the best choices for a teenage runaway who had been sent there to commit a cheque fraud, helped by a man I was about to discover was a heroin addict…

Back