Firework...

BrittW

Timelord
So, on the way into work this morning, Radio 1 played Katy Perry's new song; Firework.

Now, as a very sleepy Britt in the mornings, I had time to actually just sit and listen to the lyrics, and I must say, i really related to them;

Do you ever feel like a plastic bag
Drifting throught the wind
Wanting to start again
Do you ever feel, feel so paper thin
Like a house of cards
One blow from caving in

Do you ever feel already buried deep
Six feet under scream
But no one seems to hear a thing

Do you know that there's still a chance for you
Cause there's a spark in you

You just gotta ignite the light
And let it shine
Just own the night
Like the Fourth of July

Cause baby you're a firework
Come on show 'em what your worth
Baby you're a firework
Come on let your colors burst

You don't have to feel like a waste of space
You're original, cannot be replaced
If you only knew what the future holds
After a hurricane comes a rainbow

Maybe you're reason why all the doors are closed
So you can open one that leads you to the perfect road
Like a lightning bolt, your heart will blow
And when it's time, you'll know

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm working so hard to change other people's perceptions of me, i don't even begin to think about my own perceptions of myself.
In all honesty, i'm not very nice to myself. My inner voice is a complete *****. Only to myself though.
And i'm very good at making people feel like they should be the very best they can be, but i'll be damned if i can muster the same enthusiasm when talking or thinking about myself.

Someone once said;
"To love others, you must first love yourself"

Now, i'm not saying go around thinking you're better than everyone, because that's just going from one extreme to another.

I think the first step must be just accept yourself. Accept who you are. Understand why you've become the person you are. Accept all your flaws, and all your imperfections.
Only then can you start to like the person you are.

I spend too much time listing all the things i don't like about myself i completely forget the things i do like. So I think i need to spend some positive time on myself.
I lost 2lbs this week, which i'm very happy about, That's 9lbs off in a month.
I sometimes forget that over the past 2 years i've lost 6 stone...
All i can focus on is that i've still got 3 stone left to lose.
But you need to praise your achievements or else when you get to where you want to be, you still won't be happy.

I'm going to start being a bit nicer to myself, cause baby, i'm a firework. And i'm going to show you what i'm worth. :)

Britt xoxo

Hi Britt, You're so right that we need to be nice to ourselves. I think it's one of those things that women especially seem to struggle with. Past experiences and things we may have done that we now regret just makes it far too easy to be constantly down on ourselves.

You aren't alone but do try and remember atleast one thing you're proud of every day which you wouldn't know/do/enjoy had you not had some awful stuff to deal with. The past, however bad it was, will have made you a better person because you've got through it. That shows incredible strength so be proud of that atleast!

Well done on your weight loss, it's fabulous and while it will make you like yourself more try and see it as an extra thing to like rather than the only thing.:) I think we can sometimes get lost while losing weight. The diet takes over so much of our lives and I find myself looking forward to being a normal size and sometimes forget that things are much better already!

One of my favourite songs is Weight of the World-Evanescence

Feels like the weight of the world
Like God in heaven gave me a turn
Don't cling to me, I swear I can't fix you
Still in the dark, can you fix me?

Free fall, free fall, all through life

If you love me then let go of me
I won't be held down by who I used to be
She's nothing to me

Feels like the weight of the world
Like all my screaming has gone unheard
And oh, I know you don't believe in me