First date in 5 years...

Linze01

Well, I've lost the weight, so after a lot of false starts, I joined a dating website (my job is not conducive to meeting nice unattached men). So my first date in over five years is happening tonight and I'm on the cusp of backing out. I am feeling so nervous! The chap in question seems nice but asked for my mobile number, which I refused (politely) as I felt it wasn't wise to give out too much personal information. We're meeting at a gastropub not too far from where I live, so that's fine. I've chosen what I will wear, etc. so that's all good too.

My big thing is that I've spent years hiding from any kind of relationship and my old friend food has been a great help there. I've made so many excuses not to get out there until now. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm so nervous and would really appreciate any dating tips you can give!!!!

Linze

hiya, first of all well one on your weight loss. what an achievement. I reckon just go and see what happens. You have nothing to lose. Just be yourself, sorry im not more clued up on dating with the same fella for nearly 5yrs! Im sure he will be a bit nervous aswell.

becky xx

Wow - all I can say is have a brilliant night.... don't have any tips (been soooooooooo long since I went on a 'date') other than relax and try and enjoy it, it's meant to be fun!

Really, have a lovely night :)

Be yourself.
Be interested in him, ask lots of questions (but take note on how interested he is in you - nothing worse than a bloke who can talk for England but is completely uninterested in who you are)
Oh an check out how he treats the waiting staff, it tells loads about the person.
Smile.
Look at it as a practice run and have fun.
Oooh and most importantly feed back on how it went. :D

I DO - Been trying to get my daughter married off but she's still here, so perhaps I am doing something wrong.

Actually I agree with the others the best thing is to be yourself be natural, cause if he dont like you the way you are then its a no goer anyway.

Another tip is smile as much as possible, it hides a multitude of sins.

We will all be thinking of you tonight, sitting in the corner with your carnation on, grinning like a cheshire cat.

I do hope you have a good time anyway, good luck and well done with all your weight loss so far.

Hey Linze well done on your weight loss... hopefully I will be there soon myself.... just be yourself and most importantly enjoy the evening (I know its easier said then done) go out with the mentality that you out with a friend and getting to know them, hopefully that would make you less nervous.. and go with the flow! When is it happening?

wow I'm so excited for you!! I hate that really nervous feeling before a first date, quite awkward. But he'll be feeling the same. You'll be looking amazing, so be yourself and let us know how it goes!!

Have a great time Linze. :)

The only advice I could give you, is realx, and enjoy the night for what it is - you are meeting someone who may become a friend. Just enjoy the experience of meeting someone new - don't put any unnecessary pressure on it - just have a nice night making a new friend. :)

Let us know how it goes!!

Okay I'm dying to know how this date has been ...... oh I wish I was a fly on the wall - well not a fly cos I hate them ;)

I love romance :D

Linze - I'm with you on this one! I've just separated from my hubby of nearly 10yrs which means I'm single!!! OMG I am SOOOo nervous about the whole dating thing! I'm not looking yet (far too early - I need time on my own) but I know I will be SOOOOO nervous on the first date!! You get so comfortable with the same person, and now I have to start over again at 34!

Let me know how you get on - my job is not conducive to meeting people either, so I'll be pleased to hear your experiences (good and bad). You can PM me if you don't want to discuss on open forum!

Good luck!

Back