First day!

Caz

Repeat Offender
Bit the bullet and went to my first SW meeting today. I'm moving in with my boyfriend in a month and we were going to start together but he's decided to do something else so I thought there's no point waiting, might as well use the next few weeks and make the most of them. Especially as I'm going on holiday in August. I tried once from home but got confused with it all and then just gave up really, hoping the meetings help this time. Anyway, just saying hello :)

Good luck x

Well done for biting the bullet and deciding to join!, good for you! Hope you have a great first week. Just shout if you need any help :)

I joined this week as well. I chopped all the fat off pork yesterday ans my b/f came in from work asking why all the 'good bits' were cut off haha I dont eat the fat anyway but I cut it off b4 cooking this time lol. He says he wants rid of hia tummy. Good luck with it :) xx

Good time to start. Moving in with the OH is a classic time to put on weight so you're nipping that in the bud. Good luck :)

Thanks ladies, the support and kind words are much appreciated. My OH wants to lose weight too so that makes it easier for me. We were going to do SW together but he has some shakes and things from a food replacement diet left over so he's going to do that for a few weeks before holiday and then join me doing SW after that. I've just sat here planning out all my meals for the next week, is that sad?! I'm aiming for as few syns as possible for this first week or so, kick start it all. I don't think I had any syns at all yesterday and today I've had one chocolate finger (I would have had a handful before!) but I made it last about 10 minutes by just taking little nibbles! I enjoyed it more though, it meant I really tasted it rather than wolfing it down in one go.

I'm out for dinner today with people from work, badly timed! It's an Italian so I'm not sure what there's going to be that will be SW friendly really. I've had a look at the menu so that i know what to expect and have a plan in mind. There's another lady here that does SW but she's not coming, she's very very strict with herself and apparently when they last went she ended up paying £20 odd for a steak and coke because the potatoes were smothered in garlic butter so she didn't eat them.

See all our menus and prices

This is the menu, we're doing the Early Bird menu. For starter I was thinking the soup would probably be best, unless they'll agree to cook the fish without frying it. Main I was thinking either the steak (ask for sauce on the side so I don't have to have it) or chicken with red wine sauce, not ideal but best of the choices I would think and I'll skip pudding. How does that sound, do those choices sound for the best?

Steak would likely be ok or pasta with a tomato sauce. Just stay away from the garlic bread or creamy based sauces xxx

If the pasta dishes are included in the early bird then I'll have the Arrabiata, which is tomato-y pasta.

Hello and welcome. Well done on joining and planning your meals, this is a great idea. However, cutting back on syns and having as few as possible is not.

I'm not a consultant, but I really don't think this is going to have the desired effect you are looking for. The syns are a fundamental part of the plan, even over the first few weeks you must still eat them. I really wouldn't want you to jeopardise your weight loss, the plan works, just trust in it and follow the guidelines. If you have contact details for your consultant I would discuss this with them.

Good luck on your journey :D

When I joined before I was told that I can have them or not, that it was up to me. I don't plan to be so strict that I can only have 0 every day but I don't intend to plan them in to my day either. If I fancy a little treat and it's a few syns I'll have it if I can but don't want to eat them just for the sake of it.

Why would it make a difference to my weight loss? I've not heard that before so would be interested to no why it'll affect it.

Make sure that you eat at least 3 meals a day & have at least 5 syns to 15 syns per day, that way you will get the best results, people think that not eating or having no syns will help loose weight, it doesn't! You can save syns for a special days if you want, you should aim for 105 syns per week!
Pete

Why does it make a difference though? I would understand if you were not eating much but f you eat plenty but it's all syn free, why does it mean you lose less?

The reason for syns is so that it means that you can eat ANYTHING! A lot of diets are very restrictive and everyone starts them with all the good intentions in the world, but after a few weeks, or even days, you think "Blimey, this is boring, there are no treats, nothing to look forward to...." and then they cave and eat something yummy then feel bad and give up and that's the end of that. The whole point of SW is that you CAN eat (or drink!) your treats, just as long as you have them in limited moderation. That way you are FAR more likely to stick to the plan and lose the weight. It's all about the mindset.....

Oh I get that. I'm not saying I can't have any syns though, just not planning them in. So then if I fancy something I can have it but if I don't then I don't.

Have to agree with the last 2 posters. You need to use your syns, particularly to start with. This is an area where you can cut down later if your weight plateaus. I still generally have the full 105 syns a week and have nearly reached target - for the 2nd time having gained most of what I lost first time round when my medication started causing me problems. Just got 2lb to go to get back into target.

I may have got there a bit quicker if I'd cut the syns down to 5 or 10 a day but I'd rather enjoy what I want to eat rather than feel I have to cut back.

Just my two pennoth!

Denise

When I joined before I was told that I can have them or not, that it was up to me. I don't plan to be so strict that I can only have 0 every day but I don't intend to plan them in to my day either. If I fancy a little treat and it's a few syns I'll have it if I can but don't want to eat them just for the sake of it.

Why would it make a difference to my weight loss? I've not heard that before so would be interested to no why it'll affect it.

The fact is, if you are cutting out a part of the plan, then you are not following the plan 100%, thus you cannot expect to get 100% optimum results.
SW is a 3 part plan, Free foods, Healthy extras and Syns. Would you chose to cut out the free foods? No, probably not...so why cut out the syns?
Follow the plan correctly and you will see results.

If you have been told in the past that you can choose to have syns or not, then you have been ill advised, I'm afraid.

Back