First weigh in - should i be disappointed?

Jemima Doll

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well.

I had my first weigh in this morning and I have lost 3 1/2 1bs in my first week, don't know if i should be disappointed or not? but having seen some of the amazing first week losses on this forum of 9, 10, even 13 lbs I was expecting to have lost more and feel a bit sorry for myself at the mo.

I did everything the extra easy plan said I should, measuring where I needed and filling out my diary religiously etc if anything I didn't eat enough and felt hungry some of the time(my own fault). My Husband who has been following the plan with me and ate more than me says he didn't feel hungry once and he has lost just over half a stone in the first week!

Did I do something wrong? i wonder if perhaps i didn't eat enough because i know you aren't meant to feel hungry but i did quite a few times.

I have a lot of weight to lose(5 stone or so) so I'm happy to have started towards this, but just thought i would lose more the first week, then hopefully 2-3 lbs a week after that which I'd be happy with!

Anyway i am going to try and fill up a bit more this week, keep active and see what happens next week, as i continue towards my weight loss goal...

Why would you be disappointed by 3.5lbs - that's a lot to lose in a week, its 7 packs of butter that are no longer on your body! First week losses are dependent on a lot of factors and if someone has a huge loss its usually down to fluid. So you didn't do anything wrong other than perhaps have unrealistic expectations. Celebrate your loss!

PS You lost more than I did in my first week ;)

Hi Jemima Doll
Try not to be too disheartened! 3.5lb is a great loss :)
My losses have been slow, but they say the slower the losses the more likely you are to keep it off... Make of that what you will!
I think the great thing about sw is that you needn't feel hungry, so fill up more this week, keep an eye on your superfree and drink plenty of water.
Have a good week!
Rosie x

Thanks PatchworkPuss and RosiePops, feel a bit better now, and realise that i probably had silly ideas for a HUGE amount off in week one, but as you say RosiePops slow is better for keeping it off anyway!

No you shouldn't feel disapppointed. The sort of losses that you have read about are the exception, not the norm.

Don't compare yourself with other people, especially not men, who always lose weight faster than women.

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well.

I had my first weigh in this morning and I have lost 3 1/2 1bs in my first week, don't know if i should be disappointed or not? but having seen some of the amazing first week losses on this forum of 9, 10, even 13 lbs I was expecting to have lost more and feel a bit sorry for myself at the mo.

I did everything the extra easy plan said I should, measuring where I needed and filling out my diary religiously etc if anything I didn't eat enough and felt hungry some of the time(my own fault). My Husband who has been following the plan with me and ate more than me says he didn't feel hungry once and he has lost just over half a stone in the first week!

Did I do something wrong? i wonder if perhaps i didn't eat enough because i know you aren't meant to feel hungry but i did quite a few times.

I have a lot of weight to lose(5 stone or so) so I'm happy to have started towards this, but just thought i would lose more the first week, then hopefully 2-3 lbs a week after that which I'd be happy with!

Anyway i am going to try and fill up a bit more this week, keep active and see what happens next week, as i continue towards my weight loss goal...

Hi, I think you have done very well! Never go hungry, fill up on free and superfree foods, so try to plan ahead and have some standby snacks if you can and don't restrict the syns. There were a couple of things to mention, as Anna says you cannot compare week by week to what a male will lose so don't compare yourself to your husband. Men have a higher muscle mass and burn more calories, even just by sitting there (which they are very good at :D) so when they diet it drops off. He will lose more quickly than you but it doesn't mean he is better than dieting than you so you will need to get your head around this. Also, the 2 - 3 lbs a week loss may not happen (but then again it might!) but I wouldn't want you to feel disappointed as the diet does work. SW recommend 1 - 2 lbs a week. But a better way might not to be to focus too much on what's coming off weekly but to set yourself small goals - say 1/2 a stone at a time. If you could do this then you are half the way there to your first goal already!! Oh and a final tip is measure now, if you can't see it on the scales you can bet you can see the loss in inches somewhere, which can be quite motivational if you have a bad week on the scales. I hope that helps, good luck with everything!

Don't be disappointed! 3 and a half pounds is an excellent weightloss - I lost half a pound my first week! Everybody is different, and if you keep to plan it will work.

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better now and i realise i was a bit silly for getting upset! I am going to be more realistic and not expect set amounts each week, as you say we are all different and i may not lose 2-3 lbs a week but as long as i am still on my journey i will get to the end! Great advice from you all as alwaysx

3.5 is brill! Keep it up and think how positive your loss is! I know the feeling of thinking you've tried really hard and it's not going as fast as you want but as others have said you are more likely to keep it off when it comes off slower. I fully believe this theory!

No, you aren't silly. It's very easy to get things out of proportion sometimes - I know I do - which is why it is nice to be able to talk to people here who can understand. Good luck for the future.

Thanks Anna you are so right...and it's lovely to talk to people on here who know how you feel, I really appreciate all the support and advice from the lovely people on here, especially as I am doing SW at home so no group to talk to, so this site is a god send! Good luck to you all xx

Hi, I think you have done very well! Never go hungry, fill up on free and superfree foods, so try to plan ahead and have some standby snacks if you can and don't restrict the syns. There were a couple of things to mention, as Anna says you cannot compare week by week to what a male will lose so don't compare yourself to your husband. Men have a higher muscle mass and burn more calories, even just by sitting there (which they are very good at :D) so when they diet it drops off. He will lose more quickly than you but it doesn't mean he is better than dieting than you so you will need to get your head around this. Also, the 2 - 3 lbs a week loss may not happen (but then again it might!) but I wouldn't want you to feel disappointed as the diet does work. SW recommend 1 - 2 lbs a week. But a better way might not to be to focus too much on what's coming off weekly but to set yourself small goals - say 1/2 a stone at a time. If you could do this then you are half the way there to your first goal already!! Oh and a final tip is measure now, if you can't see it on the scales you can bet you can see the loss in inches somewhere, which can be quite motivational if you have a bad week on the scales. I hope that helps, good luck with everything!

Thanks so much for all your great advice Jeanne Von Buttonpopper (love the name!!), it all makes sense and is much appreciated xx

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well x

Just had my week 2 weigh in and this week I lost 5lbs, really happy! the weird thing is that in week 1 I lost 3 1/2 and ate less free food so felt hungry at times, this week I decided not to go hungry and fill up on free food and lost 5lbs...I expect next week i'll lose much less but that's ok so long as I stay on my journey I WILL get there in the end, I've got a long way to go but I'm on the way! :D

Great loss Jemima Doll, well done!

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well x

Just had my week 2 weigh in and this week I lost 5lbs, really happy! the weird thing is that in week 1 I lost 3 1/2 and ate less free food so felt hungry at times, this week I decided not to go hungry and fill up on free food and lost 5lbs...I expect next week i'll lose much less but that's ok so long as I stay on my journey I WILL get there in the end, I've got a long way to go but I'm on the way! :D

Excellent 8.5lbs in 2 weeks is a fabby loss!

Thats just fantastic keep up the great work - it really is all about the plan and trying your best to stick with it - bring on week 3 - have a good weel and never beat yourself up about a weight loss again

3.5lb is great - that's a QUARTER OF A STONE.

I lost 2lb in my first week, which I was disappointed with at first, but then I realised that when people lose a lot in week 1, it's often due to 'water loss'. It's to do with how the body stores energy - glycogen stores are the easily-accessed energy for the body and contain a lot of water. If you had a particularly high-calorie diet just before joining, you'll have big glycogen stores to lose first and therefore a lot of water. You might also have been retaining water due to a high-salt, low-water diet. Or something like that, I'm not a scientist, did a nutrition course lately but this bit confused me!

And no, you shouldn't feel hungry. I found I had to get in the habit of preparing a nice fruit salad most evenings ready to nibble on during the next day. And I eat so much superfree that I am stuffed after meals (actually you're supposed to stop when you're full but I'm not very good at doing this!)

Back