fish stall

corrina

i work on a fish stall and all the ladies at my sw group always say eeee ur so lucky to work there cos fish is good for u, asking how much i eat a week and to be honest i dont eat fish, the last bit i had was cod and it wasnt that nice, but this time around i might start to eat it, anyway long story short how do u cook ur fish if u have it xxxx

Depends - usually in tin foil parcels in the oven (lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper)

Or just poach it in a frying pan with water.

Can even do a fillet in 3-5 minutes in a microwave (depending on power).

You could be a little more adventurous and make your own fishcakes!

I'd be more tempted with the lobster, crab, prawns, winkles, whelks, cockles, scallops - So yes, you are lucky to work there lol.

Steve

I love salmon, always feels like a treat too!

Herbs/cajun rubbed in, wrap in baking parchment and then george it for 10/15 mins - yum :)

I like king prawns in curry's, stir fry's or just as a snack.

Tuna steaks are nice grilled, as they're quite a meaty fish. I quite like haddock cooked in the oven, loosely wrapped in tinfoil, with some lemon, bay leaf and maybe some onions with it - steams it to perfection!

Mmm - agree with foils parcels, throw in oven with lemon and herbs - just scrum...especially with SW chips...

I'm not a big fish person myself but the Hubbs likes it so I have started making a bit more of an effort. My fav at the moment is salmon, prawn and mussle Paella with onions, garlic, celery and peas (or any combo of fish and veg you like) with veggie/fish stock. yum! x

I love to steam my salmon with some seasonings on top, keeps it really moist.

Teaspoon tandori paste teaspoon fat free natural yog put it in a bag with chosen fish (salmon is lush but any White fish is good) over night and put in a fry pan with fry light or I use a George Forman!
The pataks tandori paste is 1 syn for a table spoon so I usually count 1/2!

Yummy ally7997, never thought doing it with fish! I've done it with chicken thighs (breasts too dry I find). I usually make my own tandoori paste with fat free natural youghurt, here's the recipe (from M&S Curry Bible) - this is for 1.5kg/3lb meat/fish so reduce as needed:

FREE Tandoori Paste

1 tbsp garlic & 1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp ground paprika
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 chilli powder (or more or less - to taste)
pinch of ground cloves
1/4 edible red food colouring (optional)
1/4 edible yellow food colouring (optional)
200ml fat free natural youghurt.

You can make the garlic, ginger and spice mixture up without the youghurt and keep in aritight container in fridge (I'd say it would keep for a couple of weeks) and use as needed - adding the youghurt when applying to your chosen meat/fish. Wonder if would work on tofu/soya for the veggies?

I think cheese, potato and fish are a marriage made in heaven so I use these three ingredients in an SW fish pie.

I cook my fish, whichever you fancy in the microwave for minutes only, depends on the size of the piece you are using, rule of thumb is 2 minutes for 100 grams. You will see when it is flaked for the pie if it is cooked enough if it isn't pop it back for another minute. I season it before cooking and pop in a very small amount of milk to keep it moist.

I fry onions and tomatoes and red pepper with fry-light. Boil my potato allowance, obviously if you have used fish for a red day, your potatoes have to be weighed, if your fish is the weight allowed on green you can use a lot more potato.

Then layer the tomato mixture with the fish, top off with the potato. For green I mash it for red to make the potato go further as a lid I slice it.

On top of this I put my cheese HEX and bake in a hot oven until the cheese is bubbly.

Served with broccoli and cauliflower it really is delicious.

Sounds fiddly but it is not, just badly explained by me lol !!

I always fry fish fillets with a bit of fry light and add spices or soy sauce just to give it a bit of flavour.

Back