Flaxseed - carbs and net carbs confused

Diddums

Hello everyone

I am new to the world of Atkins but was doing CD before. I am on day 3 of induction and am truly happy. Can't wait for weigh in.

I have just bought myself some organic flaxmeal from a health shop and am confused with how many carbs and net carbs it has.

Per 100g it has the following values:
Calories 510
Carbs 1.7g
Fat 46.2g
Fibre 28.9

If net carbs are carbs minus fibre does this mean that per 100g there are no net carbs? I am a little confused!

Any help would be great appreciated x

Hi Diddums

The net carbs is 1.7g - in the UK the fibre is already deducted so what ya see is what ya get! Still nice and low though! x

Hi and welcome,

Basically anything from the EU you use the net carb amount, anything from the US and elsewhere you subtract the fibre.

Hi Jim

Thanks for that. I didn't want to be getting it wrong and eating too many carbs.

What does everyone stick to when you go out for dinner? Im going out for a friends birthday and think I'm going to have stead and salad and tell them to put any sauce in a separate pot.

Thanks

That's what I'd do, steak and salad and no dressing love

Hello and welcime.

Going out is usually ok altho i did find myself sounding like a classic neurotic yesterday when it was a set menu:
Ill have the beef, sauce on the side, no pots, no seasonal veg (aka carrots!), salad instead plse but only oil and vinegar dressing. Phew. And they ignored it so i sent it back. 2nd time lucky and delicious :)

stuff i got was 5g think i need to look elsewhere the lower the better cabrs wise!

The beauty of flaxmeal/ground linseed is that it is almost all fibre, so it passes through the digestive system largely unabsorbed. It is regarded by many doing Atkins as a 'carb wash' cos it just sails through the system.

And it's full of good oils, too!

Hi Jim

Thanks for that. I didn't want to be getting it wrong and eating too many carbs.

What does everyone stick to when you go out for dinner? Im going out for a friends birthday and think I'm going to have stead and salad and tell them to put any sauce in a separate pot.

Thanks

Hello Diddums, How r u??

Im Chelle and I have also left the CD to do Atkins?? How have you found it?? I would love to make some good friends for support for more motivation....Fancy it :). Hope you doing well chick, it was my first day of eating today and I am feeling very guilty/nervous etc.....sound familiar or is it just me lol??

Hi Chellery!

Sound very familiar! It took me a few days to convince myself I wasn't cheating lol. On CD you're not allowed anything so eating steak and salad or eggs felt like I was doing something wrong lol.

I am finding it really easy at the moment and will adopt low carb as a life style because I'm insulin resistant and should have been low carbing since I found out but no one told me!

How you finding it? What do you measure a mug of vegetables as?

Would love a buddy :) xx

Hi Chellery!

Sound very familiar! It took me a few days to convince myself I wasn't cheating lol. On CD you're not allowed anything so eating steak and salad or eggs felt like I was doing something wrong lol.

I am finding it really easy at the moment and will adopt low carb as a life style because I'm insulin resistant and should have been low carbing since I found out but no one told me!

How you finding it? What do you measure a mug of vegetables as?

Would love a buddy :) xx

At the mo I am enjoying putting anything in my mouth haha!.
Im still worrying about whether or not I will put all the weight I lost back on...I hope if I do its only for a few days. Going to weigh myself tomorrow morning and then take any gains etc from there. Going to try a kitosis stick on Sat.

How did you find the transition?? Did you stay in kitosis/ gain weight?

I can't wait to try the MiMs...went on a seach for Flax and it wasnt anywhere to be found in the supermarket!! Not happy lol xxx

if your local supermarket doesnt have flax - try holland and barret or a healthfood store
xx

The transition was fine. I was in ketosis anyway so didn't get any craving etc etc.
I didn't gain any weight, just stayed the same for the first day or two. I'm hoping for 2lb loss a week but I don't know how likely it is. Can anyone tell me average losses?

I'm getting married in July and ordered my dress 3 size smaller so I have to lose weight. I've lost a stone and a half with CD but it was making me sick and very very frumpy so switched to Atkins. I would like to lose another two stones in 3 months. Does anyone know whether it is an achievable amount? Xx

Back