flims that totally captivate you

piX128

close encounters is on the tv this afternoon...it's my all-time favourite film, yet Im not really sure why? I'm not a believer in alien life ( or a disbeliever ), I don't like other alien type films, it's not got lots of sophisticated CGI , in fact it's very simply filmed but I've loved it since the first time I saw it. I'm totally enthralled by the mental torture of Richard Dreyfuss's character, not understanding what's happening to him and around him, and by the desperate search of the mother for her son. And I love the "encounter" when i happens - never fails to move me.

so I dont try to understand,I just enjoy it and watch it lots!

Are there any films which captivate you in the same way ?

The Departed, the first time I saw it I had to go for a drink :eek:

Now I drink when I'm watching it.

I don't think I've seen that ...It'll go on the list of things to see x

The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ~ forget everything you might dislike about Jim Carrey over egging it. He's immaculate in this. I love the camera work as well.

Heartbroken after breaking up with Clementine Joel elects to undergo a procedure to erase all memory of her ~ only to realise that in losing all the bad things about their time together he's also losing all the good things. It's a 2004 film and Joel's dilemma really resonated at the time.

Weird - but very good.

Vergiss mein nicht (2004) - IMDb

I liked Etermal Sunshine too and it proves Jim Carrey can actually act when he's not pulling stupid faces and being generally annoying!

I paid £11 to see that in the Picadilly Circus Odeon and fell asleep!! Still never seen it, haha.

for me the film that truly grips me is....coyote ugly!!! I Kid I kid.

Seriously its the colour purple ,that film just gets me,its heartbreaking and powerful and i never ever move from my seat when i watch it

I liked Etermal Sunshine too and it proves Jim Carrey can actually act when he's not pulling stupid faces and being generally annoying!

:D Having said that Earth Girls Are Easy was on TV yesterday. Absolute tosh but lovely 1980's absolute tosh.

I have so many favourite films, and I love all different types of films

films that I love over and over again are shawshank redemption and the green mile, pretty similar types of films and I don't usually like these types of films but for some reason these just move me so much!

but then I also love films like scarface, pulp fiction, reseviour dogs which are all prettly manly films haha then my girly favourite films are mean girls and most disney films

I also love all the old adam sandler films even though they are pretty stupid i just can't help but laugh!

for me the film that truly grips me is....coyote ugly!!! I Kid I kid.

Seriously its the colour purple ,that film just gets me,its heartbreaking and powerful and i never ever move from my seat when i watch it

that's such a good film. I saw it in Exeter when it came out ( showing my age ) and was sobbing when they put the lights up! My ex was so embarrased - still, it wasnt the first time or last that i embarassed him hehehe !

......did you ever knooooow that your my heeeeeeeeerrrroooooooooooooooo.......

Hotel Rwanda, and The Last of the Mohicans. They make me cry every time.. but some ads on TV make me cry. See what having kids does to you?! I never used to cry at the drop of a hat before I had kids!!

bunnylovesalan said:
Harry Brown - love it

I <3 that film!!! Plan B omg

The Blind Side, Sandra Bullock. love love that film. Human kindness gets me every time.
Also agree with "The Colour Purple." I also love "Lord of the Flies" great book and both films are great.

Back