flims that totally captivate you

oh yes, The Color Purple. one of my fave books too.
also, Logan's Run. it's kitsch, 70s, tacktastic but I loves it.

Hotel Rwanda, and The Last of the Mohicans.

Two of my favourite films of all time :)

My dvd collection has surprised a few people! Anyone who has seen it, since I split with my ex and they can now see exactly what is mine, have been shocked at how non-girlie it is! I have the odd chick-flick, but most of those I have 'gained' and not bought myself, i.e. my ex's sister lived with him before we met and I think she left some of her dvds behind and he assumed they were mine, so I got them when we split! And before I moved in with him I lived in a house share with 3 guys... their various ex's left some behind at various points I think and I seemed to gain 'custody' of them!

The majority of my dvds are tv series (CSI, Bones, Sons of Anarchy, Silent Witness, Waking the Dead, etc), war films (WW1, WW2 and Vietnam), historical fiction (Sharpe, Hornblower, Elizabeth etc), action thrillers or myth/magic. Really must start upping my Westerns collection as well. I was brought up watching Western films and Vietnam films as a kid, nothing like them now when I'm feeling a little blue!

Scarily enough, I catalogued my dvds on an excel document the other week (yes, I know, I'm sad!), and I now have over 300... and an Amazon wish list full of the darned things!

I love films but at the minute have a mega 692 episodes of Prisoner Cell Block H to watch!!!!!!! should have finished by about the year 2050 lol!!!!!!

I love films but at the minute have a mega 692 episodes of Prisoner Cell Block H to watch!!!!!!! should have finished by about the year 2050 lol!!!!!!

Impressive! I went to see the stage show, Lily Savage was the lead. Cracking!!

I'm currently watching Ironclad... now this sort of film never usually bothers me at all, in fact I love them, but for some reason this evening, it's really making me wince and retch!

Fave line from a film :

Lois Lane from superman, She questions Clark Kents goody too shoes persona: " Oh and I suppose all this money youre earning is going home to your grey haired old mother."

Clark Kent : " You misunderstand me, I care about the society we live in and (*whispered*) my mother is silver haired"

Always moves me, however many times I watch it. I guess thats how I hope my son thinks about me.

some films that really stuck with me for ages afterwards:

The Devil's Advocate
Being John Malcovich
The Talented Mr Ripley
Fight Club

When I first saw each of these films I was sort of contemplating them for days afterwards...

Love the Empire of the Sun, makes me cry every time

The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ~ forget everything you might dislike about Jim Carrey over egging it. He's immaculate in this. I love the camera work as well.

Heartbroken after breaking up with Clementine Joel elects to undergo a procedure to erase all memory of her ~ only to realise that in losing all the bad things about their time together he's also losing all the good things. It's a 2004 film and Joel's dilemma really resonated at the time.

Weird - but very good.

Vergiss mein nicht (2004) - IMDb

Another vote for Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind. Wasn't sure what category to put it in, but this fits!

I've mentioned it to others but they do not get it or enjoy it.

They think Dumb and Dumber or Liar Liar etc.

My favourite line from a movie is from the excellent "The Usual Suspects"

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Last edited:
sounds like I'm going to have to add eternal sunshine to my list :)

sounds like I'm going to have to add eternal sunshine to my list :)

:) The film probably attracts the usual Jim Carrey fans who are expecting him to be his usual big ham self and then are disappointed when he's not. Yet those who would like this film are put off when they find out he's the male lead.

And Kate Winslet is out of character to ~ inasmuch as actors tend to play typical types that is.

Another of my favourites is Little Miss Sunshine (and no I don't have a thing about sunshine :D) ~ but then I really like Greg Kinnear.

Children of Men. the only film I can totally say is better than the book imho.

I also love UP lol.

My hubby worked on children of men :)

Seven pounds, omg balled my eyes out at that and really got to me :(

My fave all time film is the labyrinth tho lol

Mine is probably Dangerous Minds, I think it's because I'm a teacher, as is Michelle Pfeiffer in the movie. It reminds me that my attitude and dedication can really help change a young persons life.

Love that film, probably cos Michelle Pfeiffer is my girl crush.

I'm not really a film person, but loved Steel Magnolias, Green Mile, The Pursuit of Happyness, The Blindside. The Hurricane.

I like films that show the goodness in people.

Back