Flu-like symptoms all day

soshbfly

Silver Member
I've heard of "Atkins-flu" but just wondering if anyone on Dukan has also experienced flu-like symptoms? I don't normally get sick (and get flu jabs) but I have felt ROTTEN all day... have hardly eaten a thing as I've been so nauseous all day! I really just feel like I have the flu (but know I don't) and resigned myself to bed since 4pm.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I just want to know a quick end is in sight!

I'm not on the Dukan diet but I've just got over a viral infection which sounds just like you're feeling. Started with nausea & headaches, then vomiting, then flu like aching and feeling cold. Lasted for 3 days and it really left me weak and extremely tired. Wasn't able to eat at all, as soon as I did I had severe stomach cramps then vomited.

On the plus side I dropped 3lbs!

Hope you feel better soon x

What day of what stage are you on?

Thanks Kankles (I think??? ;))

I'm already in Cruise phase, Atropos... yesterday was day 8 since starting. And I have been diligent with adhering to the diet, so to me that sounds quite late to be getting these symptoms if they are indeed associated with diet??

Thanks for any insight - resigned to my bed today feeling wretched still (but no fever, etc. - just nauseau, headache, and lethargy) so I'll be around all day!

I have been feeling flu symptoms for a day of 2 now also, got a bad chest today so just think I have picked up a cold from one of my mindees, not been really ill, just that full head feeling :(

Hope your better soon x

That does sound more like a bug than anything else - take care and I hope you feel better soon.

New theory for me here... read on another thread that we're NOT supposed to be getting our bodies into ketosis and so perhaps that's the reason for the delay in me getting so sick (a week in?). I didn't always stick perfectly to getting my oat bran as instructed so maybe I inadvertently put my body into ketosis, albeit later than say someone on Atkins? I'm awaiting delivery of ketosis sticks, so will know for sure shortly (and I've ordered book as I'm off coaching now so I'll know what I'm friggin' supposed to be going through!!)

I'm feeling MUCH better today (phew!). Was completely out of it for about 40 hours, but on the mend and nearly normal :D!

New theory for me here... read on another thread that we're NOT supposed to be getting our bodies into ketosis and so perhaps that's the reason for the delay in me getting so sick (a week in?). I didn't always stick perfectly to getting my oat bran as instructed so maybe I inadvertently put my body into ketosis, albeit later than say someone on Atkins? I'm awaiting delivery of ketosis sticks, so will know for sure shortly (and I've ordered book as I'm off coaching now so I'll know what I'm friggin' supposed to be going through!!)

I'm feeling MUCH better today (phew!). Was completely out of it for about 40 hours, but on the mend and nearly normal :D!

Whilst the book doesn't say to specifically try for ketosis, it does mention the fact that eating mostly protein produces ketonic cells which give you a feeling of satiety. So he does regard being in ketosis as a good thing, and I'd say that most people do seem to end up in ketosis if they follow the diet correctly, particularly during Attack.

I wouldn't bother with the ketosis sticks, to be honest, as they're certainly not essential. Unless, of course, you just want to use them to satisfy your own curiosity and to see whether you are actually in ketosis.

Dukandebut he actually mentions that when losing weight we will expel ketones whihc cause stinky pee and smelly breath, but he does not say that he wants us to be in ketosis, on his site he actually says that the oatbran will get rid of the smellies and that it is not something we shoudl be concerned about.

Dukandebut he actually mentions that when losing weight we will expel ketones whihc cause stinky pee and smelly breath, but he does not say that he wants us to be in ketosis, on his site he actually says that the oatbran will get rid of the smellies and that it is not something we shoudl be concerned about.

I know that he does't actually tell us that we must be in ketosis, but he does seem to encourage it. Or is producing ketonic cells different to actually being in ketosis? (Must admit that I'm no expert and hadn't even heard of ketosis until Dukan.)

Mind you, I'm aware that not only are the French and UK editions different, the coaching can be different also. He seems to change his mind or contradict himself a suprising amount.

On page 37-8 of the UK edition, he says:

"What is more, if you only eat protein foods this produces ketonic cells, powerful natural appetite suppressants that are responsible for a lasting feeling of satiety. After two or three days on a pure protein diet, hunger disappears completely and you can follow the Dukan Diet without the natural threat that weighs down on most other diets: hunger."

Also, on page 82:

"If you do not eat any sugar, this surprising disappearance is linked to the increased release of ketonic cells, the most powerful natural hunger-suppressants."

Back