Step 1 Sole Source Follow my journey-a guy on Cambridge Plan

Hi
I'm Jeff. I'm 37 years old and live in Notting Hill London UK.

Over the last few years I've put on a few pounds, and then a few more and before I knew it, I'm weighing in at almost 13.5 stone/85 kilos.

So tomorrow I'm starting off on the Cambridge plan which has worked incredibly well for two girls I know. They've lost loads of weight and look fantastic. They've warned me of the first week blues, and also that you get a bit bored so I figure I'm all set.

I'm starting out on SoleSource for ten days and then my counsellor is going to review.

Thought it would be great to have some buddies whilst I lose the weight to help me avoid any pitfalls so I'm starting this thread. When I'm done, hopefully it'll be useful or even inspiring to other people just starting out too.

So that's all for now-plan on checking in each day to update.

Do please feel free to let me know any tips or advice you have for me or even just say hi-I'm new to minimins so just starting to work my way through all the posts on the boards here.

Hiya jeff and good luck im addicted to minis lol helps loads.remember to drink drink drink lol x

Hi Jeff, I'm a newbie (on day 4!) and everyone has been so lovely and full of encouragement and advice! It's great on here! I have saved this forum to favourites on my home computer, work computer and constantly on both my ipad and iphone so I'm all set!!

I am also doing SS with my fiance. He hasn't signed up to this forum but it may encourage him to if he knows there's a bloke on here!! He is currently weighing in at 98 kilos and aiming to get down to 84. I'm 13st10lbs and aiming to get down to 9st7lbs. So we both have a bit of a journey ahead of us!

Hey guys
Thanks for the encouragement.
Got started today. Thought I'd picked a nice quiet day but had loads of work things come in which hasn't actually been bad as its kept me distracted.
Tried to hold out as late as possible this morning for first shake. Had it at 11. Banana. Thought it would be disgusting but actually really nice.
Second shake at 2. Chocolate. Great too
Then loads of water all day and third shake at 7.30 when I got home. Starving! Literally sprinted to the blender. Strawberry-fine.
Hungry afterwards so just made spicy tomato soup at 9. Hmm-okay but more like watery tomato liquid.
Still not really satisfied but fine. Will sleep okay on it tonight I suspect.
I'm guessing first day isnt' too hard but that next few will be hard going
Nikie-what's been your worst so far?
Right-off to chug water and crash.
Check in tomorrow.

Hi Nikie
yeah tell him to join in. Couldn't find any other blokes on here so figured I'd have to do a thread anyway.
Has he found four meals enough each day? I'm kind of suspecting it won't be enough for me...

Well he actually got quite sick on the first night......we are pretty sure it was a bug but he's been a bit cautious ever since and has also decided to do sole source + now as he was unable to get out of bed for two days. Again, we think it was illness related but he has a pretty active job and since doing SS+ for the last two days he has found it plenty. So he has three cambridge products and a small meal of chicken and veg. In fact he's just had his last shake as he wasn't hungry before that!

Today has been my worse day (day 4). Headache this morning so popped a couple of painkillers and was able to function! Then mid afternoon we went to OH's brothers house unexpectedly and sister in law is good hostess and put some kettle chips in a bowl on the table. We both resisted but on the journey home I couldn't stop thinking about food. I wasn't even massively hungry, just couldn't stop picturing all the food I would have eaten if I could!!! Got home and I was tempted to have some chicken as OH was preparing his food. But I came on here instead! And re-read my diary (Niki's journey from scruffy to sophisicated) and reminded myself why I am doing this. I'm pretty sure that I'm feeling so tired as I am entering ketosis so I just need to work through it!

Then; I made my final meal of the day - banana shake! Put a few ice cubes in the blender and basically made a really thick icey banana drink which I ate with a spoon! It felt like a dessert and was so yummy! I think it helped that it took a while to eat, rather than 'downing' a drink!

I've been really lucky because I like quite a lot of the shakes and soup! Butterscotch wasn't terrible but I'll probably avoid it next week.....and mushroom soup took a bit of getting down! But I really like the chicken and mushroom soup!

Anyway, on to day 5 tomorrow and feeling good.....I've got work to contend with tomorrow after the weekend off so that will be a new challenge!

I'll be checking back here and seeing how you get on! Good luck!

Hey guys
Thanks for the encouragement.
Got started today. Thought I'd picked a nice quiet day but had loads of work things come in which hasn't actually been bad as its kept me distracted.
Tried to hold out as late as possible this morning for first shake. Had it at 11. Banana. Thought it would be disgusting but actually really nice.
Second shake at 2. Chocolate. Great too
Then loads of water all day and third shake at 7.30 when I got home. Starving! Literally sprinted to the blender. Strawberry-fine.
Hungry afterwards so just made spicy tomato soup at 9. Hmm-okay but more like watery tomato liquid.
Still not really satisfied but fine. Will sleep okay on it tonight I suspect.
I'm guessing first day isnt' too hard but that next few will be hard going
Nikie-what's been your worst so far?
Right-off to chug water and crash.
Check in tomorrow.

Good luck on your journey!

-you will feel hungry for the first few days while you get into ketosis, but remember you are having everything your body needs so the hunger is just a combination of your body getting used to having all the nutrients with far less bulk, and it's adjusting to getting the energy from your fat supplies rather than the bulky food that it doesn't need. IT GETS SOOO MUCH EASIER!! HANG IN THERE!! (ohh.. caps lock agrees with me haha!)

You're going to get to goal in the 12 weeks with no trouble at all!! :)

Hiya Jeff. Welcome.
I did lighter life a year ago and am now on CWP. I found the first 3 days hell and was soo lethargic. I actually thought I'd contracted some sort of illness but it was just my body adjusting to having no carbs. Anyway, day 4 woke up and literally bounced out of bed. Like magic it was Amazing. Suddenly I had all this energy. I was literally bouncing off he walls. I love that feeling. Most of the shakes are really nice and I always whizz them up in the blender with loads of ice plus sweetener. I have such a sweet tooth. Also the ready made shakes are amazing. They are mega filling. The chocolate velvet one is pure bliss. Good luck and I look forward to reading your posts.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Hi Jeff -just wanted to check in as my OH went on the scales this morning. Bear in mind that our actual original weigh in was in an evening (after eating food) and he was wearing jeans but he went on the scales in his boxers this morning and has gone from 98kg to 93kg - and today is day 5. And he is doing SS+. Even if you take off 2 kilos as being his clothes, thats still 3 kilos in 4 days.

It works Jeff-it really does. Get through the difficult bit where you feel positively ill and you will love the results!!

Brilliant guys-thanks for the encouragement. Kind of need it today-just the shakes is really tough I have to say. Nikie-amazing results for your bloke. Can't wait to weigh in in a few days.
Enough-you made me smile and got all excited that 12 weeks is totally do-able so thanks
And Wannabe Lollipop-I'm emailing my counsellor now for more chocolate!!

I do think though that I'll have to shift to the 3 products plus small meal plan. Was really faint last night and again today just almost dizzy. Am really active during the day dashing about everywhere. Have drunk loads of water (3L+) but am going to add a small protein and veg meal tonight.

Hi Jeff, how you getting on?? These first few days are the hardest so I'm hoping you are sticking with it! It will be soooo worth it honestly!

Hey Nikie. Feeling great actually. Sticking with it in that I'm having three Cambridge shakes a day and one Atkins very low carb meal.
My calories will be a bit higher than the base level and I'm a bit more liberal with fat than the very low fat guidelines but still easily coming in under 1200 calories for the day.
Figure I burn between 2500 and 3000 per day with my lifestyle so good gap.
And most importantly, no carbs at all in my meal so keeping them very low.
Felt dire yesterday but today leapt out of bed and had great energy all day. Peeing like mad though!
Best news-down 1.4kg since Sunday. Assuming all water but good sign that carb stores in liver have been metabolised and water released.
Got some urinalysis strips and expect I'll see a shift into ketosis over next 24 hours.

How are you doing and hows your fella going?

We are doing great.....we have our first 'official' weigh in tonight! I need to stop going on the scales, because I go on (in my undies eh hem) first thing in the morning and of course, it won't be the same after 3 litres of water and two shakes! I mean, OH was dead on 92kg this morning but who knows tonight! I'll report back!

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Sorry for the suspense! I wrote on my own diary but getting round to updating everyone else today! I lost 8lbs! Not too shabby for a week eh?! OH lost 4kg which is great but it should have been more.hes 91kg on the scales this morning in his boxers which is a difference of 3kg since last night and this morning! He did down a shake just before we went and admitted to me this morning that he had a litre of water before we went as well!

Back