Food...A Horribel Horrible Addiction

Mr Creosote

I have never been addicted to Heroin but can it be that much worse than my addiction to food ?

Before you dismiss this comment as madness just think about the feeling of constantly thinking or eating food . The weight gain, the loss of self respect....People can come off heroin in a week if they are determined. How long does it take the food addict to abstain before he/she starts to feel really better. A lot longer than a week.

My comments are really not that mad.

Hmmmm - I think you could well get some strong comments about the comparison but I'm not going to go there .....

The great thing about this plan is that it gives you the chance to examine your relationship with food and the reasons why and break those addictions. I've learned HUGE amounts in the 11 weeks I've been on it up to now and I KNOW my habits regarding food AND drink - specifically alcohol - will never be the same again. In a good way of course!

Best of luck to you. x

Hi I agree with JanD on that, I have been doing Lipotrim for 10 weeks, 2 of those on re feed and I must admit I do have a different outlook on food ( I needed it)it has definatley given me chance to retrain my taste buds, some things dont appeal to me the same and when they do I really think am I really hungry ??before I didnt give myself chance .I remember hunger was the first days of the Lipotrim diet for me .

Food is a hard one to crack because you need to still eat to survive. When you give up smoking thats the end of it you dont need to smoke to actually live.

Food is a hard one to crack because you need to still eat to survive. When you give up smoking thats the end of it you dont need to smoke to actually live.

Absolutely - I totally agree. While giving up smoking was one of, if not THE hardest thing I've ever done at least it could be taken out of the equation altogether. I'm not sure about heroin as an analogy but I don't have personal experience in that area so don't feel I can really comment. x

Same here on the smoking front found it hard but kept away from them, like you Jan no experience on heroin addiction so couldnt say. xx

I think the psychological addiction is the hardest and not so much the addiction to food, as the addiction to turning to food.

A TFR was fantastic for me to give me some space, but the real work (for me anyway) began in maintenance.

i agree with jan but not im not about compare food to herroin because i dont think you really can have an have a say about it unless you have been there and beat an addiction with that type of drug xxx but yes i do agree that food is a addiction because i used to eat and i wasnt even hungry lol

Food is a addiction, a loved the sensation of eating even when I was not hungrey, often it was habit, ie: lunch time you must eat and so on. I can`t compare to herion as I have never taken it but I used to smoke 20+ years ago and gave up very easy, but still now if in a social situation I could still have a cigarette, it would probably make me sick now.

Becks

Dont know if food was an addiction or just a habit, I KNOW that I have a very stressful job and often used food as a treat and also alcohol, however after only 6 weeks on lipotrim I have learnt to unwind in others ways and intend to carry on the same when I have finished in a couple of weeks time. Me and my hubby were working out the calories we used to consume on a couple of takeways at the weekend and also wine, which was quite shocking really. He's being eating healthy and he lost 20 pounds since christmas so this is way we intend to carry on. I think its about recognising your weakness, the hardest bit will be the maintenance, bring it on!!!!

I have or had a very bad food addiction, I woke up thinking of food and even when I'd just eaten I would be planning what I would have next, could never have just one chocolate bar, that just wouldnt be enough!!
But has for other substances, I think their addictions are more harmfull (side affects) and also harmfull to others (when they are not in control) but if you are strong enougth to come off them you dont need to have them anymore but you do have to eat so I know were you are comming from x

Food is definetly a horrible addiction, lovely while you are eating it, then terrible afterwards with the feelings of guilt and self disgust at your lack of self control. I have found now after 6 weeks on LT i am finding out why i was addicted, it purely came down to boredom, as i have nothing in my life to be unhappy about at the moment. So i then tried to tackle the boredom and have found many new interests,possible because when we are on LT we have all the nutrients we need, so don't need food, but nonetheless feel like we do, ie the same as any addiction, be it drugs, alcohol or shopping!!!! well thats my view anyway!

I have never been addicted to Heroin but can it be that much worse than my addiction to food ?

Before you dismiss this comment as madness just think about the feeling of constantly thinking or eating food . The weight gain, the loss of self respect....People can come off heroin in a week if they are determined. How long does it take the food addict to abstain before he/she starts to feel really better. A lot longer than a week.

My comments are really not that mad.

Oh yes, definately a cruel addiction of which I am in the grip of right now, worse than ever.:( There seems no escape from constantly thinking about food. Whether a person dies from a needle, bottle or massive heart attack/stroke from being overweight it's still tragic.

I hope you can beat your food demons and maintain a healthy weight in the future.:)

The penny didn't drop for me that I was actually adicted to food until I watched the video on the LT website that described it as just that and suddenly everything made sense. Now I preach about it to anyone who has a go at me about not eating and it empowers me to keep going on what i know is the right way to treat my addiction. Stick to LT xx

I agree whole heartedly with GirlyChick. I too didn't realise that I was addicted to food. In fact I would always defend myself by saying that I only eat healthy food., which is true to a certain degree, it wasn't so much what I was eating, but the amount!! This programme is giving me the chance to take a step back and evaluate why I am at this weight and how I am going to stop myself from EVER being this heavy again in the future.

Well done to everyone x x

HI Creosote, I was watching a documentary on weightloss and the doctor on it was saying he has helped people with all sorts of addictins and he felt food was the hardest addictin to crack, and he was saying it is because with other addictions you can get rid of the substance from your life, you can even change your association with people who are drug takers or drinkers, but with food we need it to live and we have no right to tell others what to eat, and are around people who can eat whatever they like and be fit and healthy, ( like my husband grrr ), don't think about the addiction too much because if you think it is harder to break it will have already have defeated you, it can be done and it doesn't mean you won't have relapses but you have got to get back on the horse mate.

I'm positive food can be an addiction as it can trigger pleasure sensors in the brain, and I could eat anytime because I just wanted the taste. I haven't got a switch in my brain that tells me I'm full, because I was NEVER full. BUT, abstaining from food these past 9 weeks has made me realise that I CAN re-train my feelings about food in a much more positive and healthy way. If I crave any food at all, it's white fish with salad !!??!!. My brain has somehow registered that this particular food is what my body really, really wants...not chocolate, cakes and greasy chips. I've looked on LT as a sort of cleansing, de-tox for my body as well as my brain. Hope it works for you.

Back