food addict -me??

trimlee

Love God; Love People
I felt really indignant that the LT website DVD/ video dared suggest that I was a food addict. It sounded so harsh and cruel! Now after having been on LT TFR for 11 weeks and maintenance for 3 weeks, I have to humbly admit that I can see the sense in using that term -despite it sounding so harsh.
I now really do appreciate that TFR is what it is -i.e no food allowed. I think that is what makes it so successful. On maintenance there is room to negotiate, and IT IS tricky doing that. My OH was surprised when I said I still get tempted sometimes to eat the wrong things.
Anyway, just wanted to let those of us still on TFR know that it is a phase to be appreciated for what it is, giving the gut a good rest, letting the stomach shrink, and the tastebuds become more sensitive. Wherever you are on your LT journey, be encouraged!

Great post hun. I knew I was a chocoholic but hadn't thought about being a foodaholic! I found it hard to come to terms with being obese - morbidly obese to be totally honest - when I started but looking back I can see it so clearly.

x

Hi Cutefairy! Wow, down to a BMI of 28.7 already! You've done really well and I bet you'll get to your target weight and maintain.
Hopefully, after our LT journey, that term 'food addict' will have nothing even remotely to do with us!

Is a comfort eater the same as food addict? Cause thats what I think I am! Or I get the "low sugar level feeling" and eat loads of things I shouldnt whilst waiting for a meal to cook etc.

I think we all do (or should I make that 'used to do'?) mood eating or comfort eating. I think the 'addict' term just refers to the fact that our eating was out of control and we cotinued to do so even though it was harming us.
Now that I'm on maintenance I'm having to learn how to prevent those 'low blood sugar moments'. One of the strategies that I've found quite good is the 3 healthy meals and 3 healthy snacks method combined with aiming to have low Gi food items. That keeps me eating regularly and avoiding those blood sugar dips and peaks.

Still, it is pretty challenging in foodland to deliberately say "NO!" to stuff that does not help. As someone wisely put it: it is better to eat what will make you feel better later and for longer than what will make you feel good now and then feel (and look!) worse later and for longer....

Back