Food Addicts Not Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having been taken seaweed tabs but I swear they have been making me massively hungry. My appitite has increased big time and I am constantly hungry and thinking about food. Do you think this is the reason why or am I just a naughty bunny that is addicted to food??? :cry:

Is there any special reason why you are taking seaweed tablets ???

I have just read this article....................Seaweed Pills To Lose Weight | LIVESTRONG.COM which would lead one to believe that the opposite is true of them.

Are you just feeling so well and so content with your lovely Charles that your appetite is heightened.

If it is a food addiction you would be eating constantly..........but constantly.

I think most of us who visit minis at a weight loss support forum have a problem with food. I know I do. For me food is a reward for anything that I think deserves a reward.

Why don't you stop taking them for a couple of weeks and see if your appetite diminishes.............

hugs xxxx

Thanks Sue for the article - I shall read that later. No, just thought I would give it ago as one day I stumbled passed it. Stopped taking it as my apptite had increased and I was constantly hungry eating so much it was horrible. Now I am back to my normal self, I do binge but not like that it was beyond me. So glad I stopped and decided just let nature take its call and just keep going with baby steps.

Is there any special reason why you are taking seaweed tablets ???

I have just read this article....................Seaweed Pills To Lose Weight | LIVESTRONG.COM which would lead one to believe that the opposite is true of them.

Are you just feeling so well and so content with your lovely Charles that your appetite is heightened.

If it is a food addiction you would be eating constantly..........but constantly.

I think most of us who visit minis at a weight loss support forum have a problem with food. I know I do. For me food is a reward for anything that I think deserves a reward.

Why don't you stop taking them for a couple of weeks and see if your appetite diminishes.............

hugs xxxx

So pleased Charlies mum !!!

hugs xxx

Hello to you all,

Am I a food addict? I think I probably am although I've never thought about it in terms of an addiction before. I certainly have a bad relationship with food and am an emotional eater. So much of what has been written on this thread resonates with me. I have always thought I was completely alone in some of the things I did so to know that I am not is a comfort.

There have been times when I have eaten until it hurt, because I wanted it to hurt, even though I knew that I would feel ill for hours after and feel disgusted with myself. But that was ok because it was just another reason to punish myself and feel bad about myself which was probably what I wanted on some level.

Since starting SW I haven't had a bad binge although there have been plenty of days that I have gone over my syns. I do feel more control than on other diets and the free/superfree foods do help. I still find myself thinking of food as a reward or comfort or treat and am trying very hard to get over this mind set.

Well done on getting to grips with SW. It is definitely the first step to eating in a more normal and rational way.

I am not an expert and most certainly do not have any qualifications to make an observation that has any medical grounding.

It looks to me as if you "had" a big problem with food and unlike myself and a lot of others on here, you punished yourself with food rather than rewarded yourself with it as I do. Either way it is not good.

SW is brilliant. It gives you so much freedom and if you fall off the wagon just climb right back on it. No one here will ever criticise you.............the opposite in fact. You will receive as much help and encouragement as you need.

Welcome to our world Lemonsquash !!!

Thankyou for the welcome.

I think the problem was I used food as a reward and as punishment so whatever mood I was in I ended up overeating lol. Anyway hopefully those days are behind me.

when you have made enough posts it would be a good idea to start a food diary. It is so helpful.................

I look forward to seeing your progress,

hugs xx

I'm an emotional eater but I've also found that i have to abstain from buying quantities of any chocolate/crisps/etc that i like
If i want chocolate, i'll buy a freddo (whilst on sw) but that's about all i can do because i know if i buy more, i'll eat them all that night. an example is jaffa cakes, i got them because they're low syn wise and its a bit of a sweet fix and a treat. everytime i buy them, the box doesn't last longer than 2 days. same with mikado.
i was also a bit like this with alcohol, until i decided 3weeks ago to go t-total. i don't have any cravings for booze at present but i am pretty terrible with chocolate...in saying that since restarting sw (3weeks ago) i've not binged on chocs because i've been strict with not buying more than 1bar sorta thing....hopefully it'll work!

It sounds to me as if you have SW and yourself ! under control..............well done. It is so hard to give up the thins that have become a part of your life in the past and it sounds like you have done it.

For a quick chocolate fix I have an Options drink............does it for me,

hugs xxxxxx

I'd like to thanks the OP for putting this on.

I have been to a few Overeaters Anonymous meetings. In these meetings, people identify themselves as "Hello my name is Janet, and I am a compulsive overeater". The program is based on Alcoholics Anonymous, and has helped a lot of people overcome their obsessive emotional and compulsive overeating.

However, the regime was quite strict. You get a sponsor, and write a food plan, and then comitt your plan to your sponsor (you ring them and say 'this is what I am going to eat'). Then you need to stick to it, and call your sponsor if you feel like you're going to fall of the wagon. It works for some people, but I found it quite restrictive as the literature suggested that you limit amounts and portions at each meal and over the day, whereas SW doesn't, so I think SW may be better for me.

I'm an emotional eater but I've also found that i have to abstain from buying quantities of any chocolate/crisps/etc that i like
If i want chocolate, i'll buy a freddo (whilst on sw) but that's about all i can do because i know if i buy more, i'll eat them all that night. an example is jaffa cakes, i got them because they're low syn wise and its a bit of a sweet fix and a treat. everytime i buy them, the box doesn't last longer than 2 days. same with mikado.
i was also a bit like this with alcohol, until i decided 3weeks ago to go t-total. i don't have any cravings for booze at present but i am pretty terrible with chocolate...in saying that since restarting sw (3weeks ago) i've not binged on chocs because i've been strict with not buying more than 1bar sorta thing....hopefully it'll work!

I am the same. Its no good my buying things with the intention of eating one every few days because once they are in the cupboard I want to eat them. So I do the same as you and only buy one bar of chocolate or packet of crisps at a time. The only exception is Curly Wurlys which I put in the freezer and they then take a long time to eat. I can limit myself to one of those every few days without problem. I think allowing yourself a little bit of chocolate every few days can help keep the binges away. I hope anyway :).

I'd like to thanks the OP for putting this on.

I have been to a few Overeaters Anonymous meetings. In these meetings, people identify themselves as "Hello my name is Janet, and I am a compulsive overeater". The program is based on Alcoholics Anonymous, and has helped a lot of people overcome their obsessive emotional and compulsive overeating.

However, the regime was quite strict. You get a sponsor, and write a food plan, and then comitt your plan to your sponsor (you ring them and say 'this is what I am going to eat'). Then you need to stick to it, and call your sponsor if you feel like you're going to fall of the wagon. It works for some people, but I found it quite restrictive as the literature suggested that you limit amounts and portions at each meal and over the day, whereas SW doesn't, so I think SW may be better for me.

That does sound quite strict but I suppose it works for some people. For me the best thing about SW is the free and superfree. Not being hungry and being able to eat as much as I need until satisfied makes me feel in control. However I don't think there is one approach to losing weight that works for everyone. Anyway good luck with SW.

I'm so glad I have found this thread

I have some very deep-seated issues around food - I use it as a punishment and a reward

for years I have been on the binge/starve hamster wheel and I can't get off it. I am trying really hard to change my mindset around food - I have often wondered if I need some sort of help though.

food addiction is so HARD isn't it? You can't avoid eating, so unlike smoking/booze etc, cold turkey and avoidance is simply not an option.

im in for a gain when I weigh tomorrow, as I have been on a binge this week :( I'm going to try hard not to beat myself up about it though.

I'm so glad I have found this thread

I have some very deep-seated issues around food - I use it as a punishment and a reward

for years I have been on the binge/starve hamster wheel and I can't get off it. I am trying really hard to change my mindset around food - I have often wondered if I need some sort of help though.

food addiction is so HARD isn't it? You can't avoid eating, so unlike smoking/booze etc, cold turkey and avoidance is simply not an option.

im in for a gain when I weigh tomorrow, as I have been on a binge this week :( I'm going to try hard not to beat myself up about it though.

I agree at least with smoking or drinking you can give them up even if it's really hard. I comfort eat when I am feeling down or even when I am happy! You are right not to give yourself a hard time as it just makes you feel worse.

I am totally a food addict. I looked into joining Overeaters Anonymous but the local group shut down.

I hope SW will help me as it's not as limiting as other diet programs!

Hello!

I'm Renate. I read through the OP a few days ago, I even got my partner to read through it too. It touched on a lot of my problems and has made me come to the conclusion, I am addicted to food, just like someone may be addicted to heroin. The only thing is, you can never stop eating food as it is a life support.

I'm 25 years old, I've always been bigger than 10st since I was 10, 13st from the age of 15 and since 16-25 15st-17st.
I currently weight 16st 11.5lb. I'm sickened by my weight, I've never been bigger than 17st & this only happened this week.

When I was younger, my mother and I were in poverty, yes we had a house over our head, but we had the bare minimum, a sofa, a fat tv, 2 beds and a kettle, I don't remember even having a cooker. My mom looked after me the best she could but life was hard and food became a treat.

I was taken into foster care and my mom was sectioned when I was 10 years old... my foster parents rewarded me once a week with whatever take away I wanted... I put the weight on slowly... after moving to my second foster home, I used to steal stuff from the pantry to eat even though I had 3 big meals a day. Then when I became independent... I could eat all I could and wanted...

I'm 25, and I've tried several times to shift this weight. I manage 1 and a half stone and then I fall apart. I've gained everything I lost and another stone on top and now I'm scared. I need support from those who try but don't always succeed, who give into their urges, for those who understand how hard it is to fight your head.

I'm the exact same. I had to go t-total during and save my drinks until I'm celebrating at special occasions. That was so easy though compared to giving up sweets/chocs. Once I had one, it always had a tag-along or two! I eventually gave up sweets for a week (even those diet cereal bars, because in my mind it's still a bar) and the difference on the scale was so much that I did it again and now I eat sweets very rarely. I still drool over chocolate but just now, when I need to get to my goal, I'm trying to do without.

One tip though - I read in a mag once that your body craves what you eat. If you give something up long enough you won't crave it anymore. You might still love them but at least you won't be hankering for them.

Sent from my HTC One X using MiniMins.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back