Food changes are one thing, how do you change your mind?

MrsR2004

Hi all,

I'm on week 2 and just after a little advice or maybe a few tips on how you cope with your own mind with regards to eating.

I am following the sw plan pretty easily and am not hungry most of the time so should be easy all the way right? BUT my head still sometimes wants to eat chocolate or snacks, I realise this is completely a comfort and boredom thing and today have had to really talk myself out of wanting anything but would like to re-train my mind for good if possible???

I have my own business at home so food is always around and I am diabetic so generally I do avoid chocolate and puddings etc as I have to, some say eating a regular low sin version of your favourite food will keep you on plan and others say if you don't ban altogether then it could lead to binges?

What do you think & do?
xxxxxx

ive done slimmiing world many times and i used to make the same mistake over and over sgain, id be soo strict with myself that by about 7 weeks, id crave bad things sooo badly that id binge and give up. This time i am completley aware that i do this and am letting myself have the odd naughty thing, but u can have it, just syn it, i used to be in the mind set that i shouldnt have syns, but im less harsh on myselfnow and am doing well, i hope i will be saying the same in a few weeks and not eating my words again!! lol

Thanks ladies, that's what I was wondering really whether I should build some regular treats into my syns to keep cravings at bay.

I think I have been all or nothing in the past and that's a hard cycle to break but I think I need to try!

Thanks again xxx :D

hi i've been having my syns but find if i eat chocolate it starts me off on a binge so i started having the boots shapers bars or premium cereal bars from aldi and i don't seem to crave more than i've allowed myself, can u eat the diabetic or sugar free choc? good luck x

Ive been good this week not cravin choc and stuff because.....Ive been having two of the choccy n fudge alpen bars as my hexb :D

Thanks ladies on the tips about cereal bars and shapers bars, will look at those, I am a little bit scared of wanting more if I have some chocolate but equally banning it makes me crave it, mind games :(

I am type 2 diabetic (from gestational diabetes that didn't go away) and it's under good control, my consultant says a little of everything is ok and to avoid special diabetes products really.

xxxxx

the craving rubbish food is driving me crazy...

I have alittle bit of "rubbish" every night and have since Jan (am now 1lb from 4st loss and 15 from target).

Just for example today I had a jaffa cake (2.5) with my 11am coffee, now I'm having a coffee and a pack of caramel snack a jacks (5.0) and later if the urge takes I'll have either a treatsize milky way (3.5) or a bag of treatsize malteasers (5.0). I always have between 10-15 syns and they're usually on naughty stuff as I don't tend to eat sauces or feel the urge fo oil or things. :)

this has really helped me im in my second week again after years of trying and have always had the all or nothing theory and have gone 2 weeks without chocolate and crisps and am now starting to get mega cravings so i'm gonna try and give myself some treats every now and again

Its being 'all or nothing' that really will set yourself up to fail. Syns are built into the diet for a reason - if you ban things it just makes you crave them all the more.

Have a look on the website and pick out some treats that you can have within your Syn allowance - I really enjoyed a 2 finger Kit Kat (5.5 Syns) yesterday afternoon and know that if I had gone without I would have ended having something a lot worse later on!

I have alittle bit of "rubbish" every night and have since Jan (am now 1lb from 4st loss and 15 from target).

Just for example today I had a jaffa cake (2.5) with my 11am coffee, now I'm having a coffee and a pack of caramel snack a jacks (5.0) and later if the urge takes I'll have either a treatsize milky way (3.5) or a bag of treatsize malteasers (5.0). I always have between 10-15 syns and they're usually on naughty stuff as I don't tend to eat sauces or feel the urge fo oil or things. :)

Totally agree and I do the same.

Having a little bit of what you want does you good I reckon.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the responses and ideas, it's great to hear that you do use your syns for treats and makes me feel more comfortable about building them in, I realise the all or nothing approach is not good but it's hard to break that cycle but will be planning my menu accordingly now!

Thank you :D

I don't dare do chocolate or biscuits. If I have a sweetie craving I find it easier to have a Fab or Mini-milk lolly. The skinny cow lollies are nice, but I only get them if they're on special offer as they're more pricey.

I started 4 weeks ago and I am using my 15 syns up daily because I don't feel like I am on a diet! I have donw CD and lost weight but put back on, this time I want to learn about food, and SW is not a diet really it's just learning you about eating good food, and those lil syns are little things that you can have because let's be honest most people do eat treats in moderation.....so syns are our little moderation!

I am eating better than I ever have and for the first time I don't mind a 1lb loss a week because I don't feel deprived....for example when I did WW I was STARVING ! So Weigh in day would come and I would lose a pound...a pound, I was so mad because I had felt crap all week that I would go and eat fish and chips in defiance !

Now I think, oh a pound, another one gone, oh I can't wait for my tuna jacket after weigh in !

Exactly a dripping tap still fills a bucket!

I was on a mission to lose weight quickly for my brother's wedding in November but after doing Lighter Life I really appreciate how wonderful Slimming World is - I may well only lose a pound a week but at least I didn't feel like I was dying whilst I was doing it!

I've been surprised that I haven't been craving sweets/crisps as much as I thought I would.

Having said that, I am eating more Muller Lights than I can count!! I'm down to about 2 a day now. I have an Options before I go to bed, I like that for the choc taste and it takes more time to drink than a choc bar does to eat!! :D

I have had one or two struggles actually eating my syns but people on here have advised against that. I still haven't got my head around it being ok to have a kit-Kat, Flake etc if I have the spare sins.

After taking the good advice I'm now making sure I have between 12 and 15 sins a day

Hi there, all I can say is that I agree with what everyone else has said - you need to get over the 'BAD FOOD' list. You can eat these things, you can eat anything, but the idea is is that you don't want to, as you know from bitter experience that these foods have brought you nothing but total despair and unhappiness in yourself, and bad health. I'd really recommend requesting these books from the library or looking in your local book shop:-

Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating by Gillian Cross

Overcoming Weight Problems by Jeremy Gauntlett-Gilbert

The Thin Commandments by Stephen Gallo

Even if you think you aren't a 'self-help' book kind of person, I'd really urge you to give them a try - you'll be surprised at how much of it you already know, and how much will ring true with your own life. It really helps to get it right into your brain, everything you are struggling with is explained in simple terms and I really think you will be surprised.

Back