Food ref alert! Courgette "spaghetti" added to carbonara

MyLastDietEver

I had planned to do total solution mid week and working solution at weekend. I was looking for low carb alternatives that were also low fat as most of my fave Atkins recipes are too high in calories for working solution.
Loads of sites recommended courgettes but I find them quite soggy and bland usually. A few recommended getting a julienne peeler and making courgette "spaghetti". Tried it boiled on Saturday and microwaved yesterday and neither were brilliant.
Today however was a revelation! Dried them thoroughly in a clean tea towel then dry fried them then added my cooked carbonara to the frying pan. The courgettes soaked up the excess sauce and left a yummy heap behind.
Looked, felt and tasted like a proper meal for 35 extra calories and a few grams of carbs.
I'm going to have that every night and only do working solution for nights out. Means I'll never be completely on total solution but worth it i think.
I'm a happy bunny tonight :)

I love love courgette spaghetti! I've been having it in place of pasta for years. If you like it I'd highly recommend getting a spiralizer. I normally spiralize the courgette, put it in a collider with some salt on it and let it dry out for about 30 minutes. Then either quickly microwave it for 60 seconds not so its cooked but warm or dry fry it and mix it in to my sauce or bolognaise or now sachet of soup. If I don't have time to let it rest I literally spiralize it and mix it in straight away and eat it before it has time to start losing any water xx

Is the spiralizer expensive??

And does it taste like courgettes? Cus I don't like them lol

Is the spiralizer expensive??

And does it taste like courgettes? Cus I don't like them lol

I don't think raw courgette has a flavour, so when you cover it in say tomato sauce it really takes on that, my fiancé hates courgette but will happily eat a bowl full of spaghetti bolognaise made with that in place of pasta.

My spiralizer was from amazon and was £30, money well spent for me. Xx

And my niece and nephews eat it without complaint :) they have no idea what it is lol x

Once cooked and in the sauce there was no taste just extra bulk and texture. The julienne peeler was £4.49 on amazon and cuts the courgette into wee skinny strips

Thanks girls!! I think ill try the £4.49 thing first before the £30 thing lol

Totally my logic Chelly!

I hate spending money at that minute with wedding saving.. It's actually terrible how much a debate over things now lol

Back