Food Shopping

How do you do yours?

Go to the supermarket? Local shops? Online?

I am trying to eat healthy on a budget. Both my other half and I are veggies and enjoy cooking but I find that if my shop is on budget we run out of food before the end of the week!

I have been tempted to write a menu plan for the week and only buy what's needed but it seems to take ages and I feel like I will just end up eating the same foods over and over again!

Any advice would be awesome :)

Try mySupermarket - if you enjoy shopping online, that is. They do comparison of products by price and nutritional information, which can make it much much easier to choose cheap healthy food. Good luck.

Thank you! I'm very pleased. Weigh in for me tomorrow, eeek!

I make a menu plan for the week and then buy the ingredients needed for each meal, plus normal groceries like milk, bread etc

I often find that if i just go buy any old vegies some go off because i havent planned anything for them or got round to using them. Saying that it is rather annoying when someone happens to eat something ive bought to make a meal. I have to run the kitchen an fridge with an iron fist. haha

Me and OH shop at our local market on a Saturday; there is a huge indoor meat and fish market and then a fresh produce outdoor market. We manage to get meat for the month for £30 which includes 6 pork chops, 1kg of mince, 24 chicken thighs. The veg and fruit we get 2 broccoli's for £1 and the same with Cauliflower, 6 avocados for £1 and they do plastic bowls of pretty much anything for £1.

Then through the week we just need to stock up on milk for cereal and use Asda for things like pasta, rice, spices etc but we don't need to buy these very often.

Tends to work quite well, especially the market as it works out so much cheaper.

You might find it a good idea to start freezing veggies.

Most freeze well and its stops them going off, I prepare them first and then freeze. Then I can just chuck a handfull of whatever veggie I fancy in when I'm cooking.

Also make sure you never waste anything, so eating leftovers for lunch the next day - This is what I do and its good for the budget and weight loss as it helps me have smaller evening meals.

Buy in bulk and bulk buy offers.

I find online shopping best as you can see the price as you go along with your shopping but however you do your shopping its always best to do a meal plan.

Thanks for the advice....I will definitely try meal planning and maybe even a trip to the local market this weekend!

Freezing veggies is also a great idea, I always seem to end up throwing some away!

Thanks again :D

I shop around alot, if you have an Aldi near you they have a selection of different veggies every few weeks for 49p, i usually go to 3/4 different stores when i food shop and get the bargains from each, co op is good for reduced items on certain days and tesco for the bogof's and they usually have reduced veg. I tend to buy some perishables like veg as and when i need it as it goes off but if you can only shop once a week freezing is a good idea :) Iceland is good for frozen veg for a £1 and i find there bread is the cheapest 2 kingsmill for £1.50, hope this helps

I tend to shop around a lot more than I used to, esp as the standard of fruit/veg can be so disappointing - when I ate cr*p I didn't care, I'd head for the pizza aisle!

Saturday markets after 4 are a great place to pick up cut price veg in bulk. I'm using my slow cooker again, and it's great for mellow curries and soups, using up courgettes and marrows and the things that don't tend to sell that well at markets.

Back