Food Steamer Recommendations

rhsumner

Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum so I apologise if it's in the wrong section or has been posted before (I did try searching first). I did try post this earlier today but the post just disappeared after posting, hopefully I'll be more successful this time.

I recently joined the slimming world programme and as part of my healthier lifestyle I am looking to purchase a food steamer for my kitchen, however I am struggling to find one online that doesn't have at least some bad reviews. Some of the complaints I've read in reviews that worry me are:
  • Food will take too long too cook (compared to other better steamers)
  • Food on the top tier (if it's a tiered steamer) won't be cooked properly
  • The mechanical dial mechanism stops working (would probably just be best to get one with a digital timer)
  • It produces an excess of escaping steam making it unusable without an extractor fan nearby

Additionally I am not sure if a tiered steamer or compartmentalized steamer would be better.

So there we have it, if any of you own a steamer and would recommend it I would love to hear about it.

Thanks.

Personally I have a three tier stainless steel pan steamer cost 8.99 at Morrisons I find this does the job fine I wouldnt buy an electric one as I dont have space in the kitchen.

I do think these type do an excellent job for me any way.

I've got an electric steamer. It was in an Argos sale a couple of years ago for £14.99. It's only a Cookworks one, but it great. Three tiers, and the food cooks evenly on every tier without a problem. It only takes as long to steam veg as it would to boil on the hob, but it tastes so much nicer.

This one is mine

I wouldn't be without mine - I use it most days. Having said that though, one that goes on the hob is just as good, and cheaper :)

I've got a tesco 3 tier electric steamer. It does create a bit of excess steam but the food I.e. veg, fish etc taste lush when cooked in it xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi,

When i was looking at steamers I was originally going to get an electric one but as you say there was loads of good/bad reviews.

I decided to get a stainless steel 3teir on the hob steamer at it has been the best investment. It's easy to store as all 3 parts come apart, It's easy to wash and very simple to use. I got mine from the Range at £11.99

I steam everything in a bamboo steamer that I got from a little Asian shop for £4. It's amazing! Just put it on top of a pan of boiling water, dead easy to clean etc :)

Mine is just a Tesco Value 3 tier electric steamer. Had it for 5-6 years ish now and no problems what so ever. Best £6 or so ive ever spent. Cooks all food evenly on every level.

I have a steamer, one of those high-tech expensive ones. But I don't use it at all. I don't like my veg crunchy, and that's all the steamer seems to do to them. I like it soft. So I boil it in a pot, the old fashioned way lol

xMandyDx said:
I have a steamer, one of those high-tech expensive ones. But I don't use it at all. I don't like my veg crunchy, and that's all the steamer seems to do to them. I like it soft. So I boil it in a pot, the old fashioned way lol

Ewww it makes them crunchy?! Hmmm! Mine doesn't. I'm like you soft veg only!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Firstly, you did post in the right section, and I don't think I've seen another post about this vso you have done the right thing!

I have had a few of the electric ones over the years, and they all perform the job pretty well. My last one broke after 3 years, and I haven't replaced it as I tend to do alot of 1 pot cooking, so all the veg goes in at that point. I am also horribly lazy and on the odd occassion where I do have veg as a side I will buy the fresh, preprepared stuff that you can microwave in the bag. Otherwise I'm afraid its all frozen.

Back