Food without the angst - Vegan SW

Thanks Mal, you've reminded me to post what I've had today before I forget

Breakfast as already posted, the spinach curry was far too salty so I didn't have it, lots of picking at bits of fruit and nuts - HEX Bs of cashews and brazils, 7 syns worth of the Chic'n nuggets or whatever they were with brussels. Almond milk, not enough and some nibblings of left over pasta with a pre made sauce, a nominal 1.5 syns at a guess.

Thanks Mal, you've reminded me to post what I've had today before I forget Breakfast as already posted, the spinach curry was far too salty so I didn't have it, lots of picking at bits of fruit and nuts - HEX Bs of cashews and brazils, 7 syns worth of the Chic'n nuggets or whatever they were with brussels. Almond milk, not enough and some nibblings of left over pasta with a pre made sauce, a nominal 1.5 syns at a guess.

Seriously craving a curry! There's a recipe for a korma in the May/June edition of the SW magazine, it's pretty basic and syn free so definitely going to give it a go next week.

Lisa xxx

Plus 2.5 syns for rice fusions at silly o'clock this morning!

Seriously craving a curry! There's a recipe for a korma in the May/June edition of the SW magazine, it's pretty basic and syn free so definitely going to give it a go next week.

Lisa xxx

Look at 'a typical Indians Indian recipe book' on her you will find some great recipes. I've had the dhansak quite a few times (including last night) & it is great and never fails.

I'm thinking of buying the SW fake-away cook book at class on Friday. It's got some amazing low syn 'take-away' recipes in there including a few curries. I'm quite good at curries but jus sometimes I fancy a change and not having to spend loads of syns on it to.

Lisa xxx

1 packet of Sainsbury good for crispy things 4 sysn

lots of fruit

ratatouille home made with fresh toms, red onions, aubergine and courgette, todays HEX B's worth of olive oil

Salad with rice an broad beans, gherkin and roasted red pepper and 3 syns worth of Fry's hot dogs.

Lots of the above, been nibbling on it all day

But sadly, I also sampled the pie filling, too much of it, an unsynable quantity and things that went into it. Also a few of left over nuggets, around 3 syns? So tomorrow being the last day before WI on Tuesday, it's down to veggie soup and SS fruits and lots of water, silly me.

1 packet of Sainsbury good for crispy things 4 sysn lots of fruit ratatouille home made with fresh toms, red onions, aubergine and courgette, todays HEX B's worth of olive oil Salad with rice an broad beans, gherkin and roasted red pepper and 3 syns worth of Fry's hot dogs. Lots of the above, been nibbling on it all day But sadly, I also sampled the pie filling, too much of it, an unsynable quantity and things that went into it. Also a few of left over nuggets, around 3 syns? So tomorrow being the last day before WI on Tuesday, it's down to veggie soup and SS fruits and lots of water, silly me.

Ahhh the dreaded sampling. I used to be terrible for doing that, and picking at food too.
If you're anything like me I found having 3 generous meals everyday with planned snacks it stopped me grazing and nibbling and saved me and my syns :)

Lisa xxx

Naw :) :) :) This is a woma who can sit down with a couple of packets of biscuits and get through them all in less than an hour. It's just I'm working on my need to have a healthy relationship with food, going to counselling, reading and listening to personal development type podcasts for the inner stuff. Somehow after two years of piggery and 5 stones plus to show for it I'm in the right emotional space again. I've had health problems, a son who has had two long term spells in hospital for mental health reasons, the last time under a section 3 of the MH act, ie not voluntarily. The stress around all this, plus my husband is most likely on the autistic Spectrum as well as my son and heself medicated as they say with alchohol and prescription painkillers ... well without spelling it all out life has been difficult and my coping strategy was eating.

I'm ashamed at having been so out of control and done so much damage to myself. For heavens sake I've been going between a size 22/24 and a loose 14 (once!) for about the last 10 or 11 years. Now I'm weaning myself off the anti depressants and seem to be coping with my boy's ongoing difficulties OK. Fingers crossed :)

Anyway, pigs are amazing animals, with more intelligence than a dog, so comparing yourself to one is not such a bad thing. Being out of control with food is SOOOOO flipping understandable. We all are here on this forum. That's how we got this way.

Hey Micci, sorry for late reply, I'm usually not around on weekends. Thank you for your honest post, it actually helped me a lot. It seems I've been through similar experiences foodwise (for different reasons) and have done the whole therapy thing with cognitive behaviour and lots of soul searching, tried OA but didn't sit right with me.
At the moment with a lot of upheaval in my life, I feel I'm emotionally in quite a vulnerable place again. I started weighing myself again every day which is so bad for my inner peace and my mind is just racing in circles thinking I'm never going to lose weight. I weighed the same this morning I did 3 days ago and reckon that I haven't lost anything at weigh in tonight so I'm suitably depressed.
Isn't it awful how self-destructing we can be? That I felt quite good this morning until I weighed and now the numbers on the scales tell me that I have to feel bad about myself?
It sounds like you have had so much to deal with Micci, and your post sounded quite at peace with food and I'm glad for you, that is quite a feat.

Do you monitor quantities at all on the free and superfree foods? I wonder if that's where my downfall lies. I don't use my syns much at all or if I do, then just for some extra bread or some oil, not for snacks because I can't handle them at all (not in small quantities, I'd be a syns millionaire quicker than you can say hobnob). But I do eat a shed load of fruit and yogurts too. And I guess calories still mount up. So I might try the success express or whatever it's called. Have 2/3 superfree and 1/3 free instead of the other way around. Anyway.....I'm hijacking your lovely thread with all my drivel :)

By the way, I do agree that pigs are quite amazing. And so cute!

And I do love risotto concoctions of sorts, make them myself quite a lot. What I really like to do for extra flavour is to grate some lime or orange zest into the rice as it is cooking to absorb the flavour. Yum.

No Bee,

do not apologise, it makes it more interesting when people open up. Thanks. Funny thing is, I've just posted on your wall about scales and how addictive they can be ;)

I don't monitor quantities of the free and SF at all. And I don't think people do generally although I have found in the past if I was having late night snacks of (for example) rice or cous cous with soya milk or my guilty secret of mounds of instant mashed potato that didn't help my weight loss.

That success express definitely does work, even a day of it here and there. Go for it if you aren't losing like you want to. And syns, it is strongly recommended that you do use them. Even if only because when later on in the journey people seem to find it harder to lose so they can experiment with cutting them back. Older advice was also that strange as it may seem, people with poor losses can start to lose more when they up their food intake.

I suppose that would be because if you drop your calorie intake too low your body goes into conservation mode as the most primitive part of the brain interprets this as a famine situation. It can also lead to binging as the instinct is to fill up on as much as possible if famine is danger. Throw into the equation more exercise than normal and that instinct interprets this as a real danger situation; low food intake and exercise = famine and running away from danger. Hence the cycle of limited calories and healthy exercise to over eating again.

I was reading a good book a few years back about how to work on this and the author recommended actually talking to the different aspects of ourselves so they understand what is going on. She called the early hunter gatherer part the Wild Child which I'm not crazy on.

My self talk then when eating less would be on the lines of 'Hey primitive part of my brain (sorry I can't remember the name of it but it's also called the lizard brain and came from out earliest development) don't worry, I'm going to be eating a little less. This is really nothing to worry about, it means you might be a bit hungry sometimes but it means you will be fitter and better able to run from danger and to live more efficiently' When I'm going well, this works for me.

I've tried CBT too, and had an excellent counsellor who brought other therapeutic aspects to the sessions and I got a lot out of them but ultimately I wasn't in the right place for it - refused to keep a food diary as I was too ashamed. Then what I call my appendix adventure intervened and I stopped going. What is OA? Now I have a local low cost counselling with a person based approach but I'm not crazy on it. My counsellor is a lovely woman but she doesn't really get what I'm going on about a lot of the time. Yet at other times she does give me insightful comments and it's good to have the space to talk about me and my feelings so I keep going. It has been a lifeline sometimes.

Thanks for the risotto idea, I like the sound of the added zest.

Last edited:
Food:

Tomatoes. A BIG serving sized bowl of a salad made of lettuce, rice, broad beans, roasted peppers and gherkins. Ie, last night's leftovers with some lettuce. Coffee with almond milk

Interesting, there were some problems and my instinct was to gorge, but I noted the feeling and didn't act on it even though there were a whole load of biscuits in front of my face. I am hungry though, so will have some soup as I promisde myself. Off I go to make it.

Food:

...Interesting, there were some problems and my instinct was to gorge, but I noted the feeling and didn't act on it even though there were a whole load of biscuits in front of my face. I am hungry though, so will have some soup as I promisde myself. Off I go to make it.

Well done, Micci! My therapist called it riding the wave of the craving. In other words, when you crave something, allow it to happen and experience it. We often try and distract ourselves which can work but doesn't always get rid of it. Being completely aware of it and identifying the emotion/issue that triggered it often makes it go away.

By the way, it was a good tip with maybe doing success express every so often, not necessarily a whole week. Oh and OA stands for Overeaters Anonymous. There is no doubt that it has helped masses of people. It wasn't for me, I don't think I was ready for it or in that particular frame of mind.

Had the veggie bean carrot and tomato soup with some left to have before bed and 8 cashews for a B choice. Also had some of the ratataouille that had my other B choice olive oil.

I'm just back from a mini jog and have made a very good discovery. If a woman, well endowed in the boooosum department , hasn't got a sufficiently supportive bra, she can wear two ordinary ones and the effect is much the same. :)

Obviously, not padded and underwired:8855:

I'm thinking of buying the SW fake-away cook book at class on Friday. It's got some amazing low syn 'take-away' recipes in there including a few curries. I'm quite good at curries but jus sometimes I fancy a change and not having to spend loads of syns on it to.

Lisa xxx

I've got it and there are really some great easy to do recipes in it.

I've got it and there are really some great easy to do recipes in it.

Thanks for the recommend :) I've heard some great reviews about it Cazdav. I love cooking and using lots of different ingredients - so think this is a done deal and will be buying it Friday morning at class :)

Lisa xxx

Had the veggie bean carrot and tomato soup with some left to have before bed and 8 cashews for a B choice. Also had some of the ratataouille that had my other B choice olive oil. I'm just back from a mini jog and have made a very good discovery. If a woman, well endowed in the boooosum department , hasn't got a sufficiently supportive bra, she can wear two ordinary ones and the effect is much the same. :)

I'm so in awe of you and how your grasped hold of the SW plan again and now running. You're doing so good, you deserve massive losses :)

Lisa xxx

Thanks Lisa, we shall see tomorrow ... fingers crossed.

Last food notes for the night. I pint of mixed almond and coconut milk, cold from the fridge. Mixed because I only had a little bit of both left and hey, I felt adventurous.

2 ryvita with scrambled tofu - I'd forgotten about the oil and had been thinking of them as a HEX, pah! But they are only 1.5 syns each so no harm done.

It is possible but not definite that I might have an apple or some melon within the next hour. Woo hoo, the way we are trying to work on my boy's sleep pattern means he will go to bed tonight at 2.30 so will stay up till then to make sure he does, and that he is sorted with the book he needs to have read for his lesson tomorrow. Fingers crossed he makes the lesson and that the tutor is not too rushed to stay and do the DLA form with me.

Oooh, busy day tomorrow, out politicing which I will not detail here as irrelevant to this forum, 40 mins appt at the dentist for three fillings, tutor arriving, cleaning, DLA form I hope, SW in the evening so I hope I can sleep, I had a nap this afternoon as coping with supporting the lad's sleeping pattern is playing havoc with mine.

Good night all.

Teeth sorted, leaflets delivered - most of them - boy up, kitchen mess now to do. Woops, forgot a meeting but fortunately it was cancelled anyway.

Food, 8 cashews for a HEX B and my tummy is RUMBLING but my mouth still feels too strange to risk eating. Maybe a soft mango cut into little pieces. Soup is the classic but I think I'd dribble too much :)

DLA form not looked at :(

Teeth sorted, leaflets delivered - most of them - boy up, kitchen mess now to do. Woops, forgot a meeting but fortunately it was cancelled anyway. Food, 8 cashews for a HEX B and my tummy is RUMBLING but my mouth still feels too strange to risk eating. Maybe a soft mango cut into little pieces. Soup is the classic but I think I'd dribble too much :) DLA form not looked at :(

Good luck with weigh in

Back