Food without the angst - Vegan SW

It should be easy enough to trace who sent it, unless they were clever scheming so and sos! Anyway, dh's manager is emphasising he is not to worry, they are dealing with it.

Gp sent him to A&E and insists he has time off work, at least a week. A&E waiting times are now 4 hours, just got a text from him. They want to do a few tests, not sure what. But presumably some sort of brain scan. Maybe a little stroke would show some signs of the bleed still? Anyway, he's in the right place now.

The good news is I am not eating. We laughed on the way to hospital. His BMI is just under 22, if only we could get some of my surplus into him.

Oh, OH is home, rather weak and glad to be forced to have time off. Lots of tests have been done, they couldn't find anything specific except he has a very slow heart rate. So he's going to have a monitor to wear for 7 days.

Food, there is a lot of guess work involved with HEs and syns today.

Breakfast, pasta with sauce made by oh and got out of the freezer. I do not know what he used, so I'm going to assume a B for olive oil in it and a token couple of syns for the veggie mince stuff

Lunch, had something SW suitable cooking but was tempted by m'boys Fry's chiken style strips I had cooked in a whole tube of a yummy tomato and veggie concentrate with oil and sugar that a friend sends me from Italy. So I'm just going to assume somewhere between 10 and 15 syns and not have any more today/

Snacks on lots of fruit throughout the day and a coffee with the Alpro coconut milk that I don't think has been assigned a quantity for an A choice yet.

So I have an frugal supper cooked already, mushrooms and tomatoes done with some liquid aminos which I like to assume are free, onion salt, smoked paprika and smoked garlic. Depending on my hunger levels I'll add some chickpeas or something. I'll also have a bit more almond milk with cardomen and vanilla if I get the tired munchies later.

I saw bees today, either buiding a nest in a wooden sculpture or just chilling out in the doorway. It was very good to see as we hear so much about their decline. This was right in the middle where three paths met in a City Of London park so I hope they are allowed to stay there.

We had a nice walk especially for father's day, OH said he wanted to go somewhere with nice plants and clean air and this place is quite close.

Foodwise, I like to think I'm doing quite well. I was trying to be completely syn free after eating half a box of chocolates yesterday. Only a small box with a syn value of about 20 so it wasn't the end of the world. I'm rather pleased that I didn't then feel compelled to eat another couple of boxes - I've another 6 stashed, bargains from approved food.

I've had a packet of instant microwaveable rice stuff that must be a few syns. Oh, I'm getting slack about the careful calculation of HEs and syns - I know this way leads to disaster. Other stuff was mock cream of tomato soup, home made houmous with check peas and roasted red peppers and 4 ryvita. Some lentil and spinach spicy stuff left over from yesterda, some apples and bananas. Not masses and I've a bit of a rumbly tum atm but I REALLY want a decent loss next week so will have a think about what to do myself.

Hope everyone else has been having a nice weekend.

I made a chocolate cake for FD ... and enjoyed a large quantity of it with ice cream. Oh well ...

Hey Micci, just checking in to see how things are? Sorry I've been so quiet these last few days, weekends are usually my quiet time as I'm rarely near a computer. I'm just shocked at what has been going on!!
How is your husband now? And your son? It sounds like you've really kept your head above water foodwise, well done you! And thanks for the link to the podcast, I will listen to it asap.

Thanks BeeBee (is that an OK abreviation?) Husband is getting stronger but having the good sense to rest - my boy? Healthy enough but still gets paralysed with anxiety. The good news is that AT LAST he has agreed to see the psychiatrist and see what help she can give to help him think about things in a different way. As I describe it, carefully avoiding words like therapy and counselling. All of which he avoided as much as possible during his hospital stays.

And as for me, I am BUZZING. I weighed in one day earlier. I wanted a decent loss this week, my goal was three and I lost SIX. I got the weighing lady to do me twice as I wouldn't believe it. I've had a few mugs of soup instead of meals and ate a lot of home made seitan which I love with mushrooms cooked separately and then all squirted with the BBQ frylight. I think I've been a bit more careful to have the third or more SF as well. But oh my oh my ... I had a day of choccolate extravaganza and I did have a lot of cake and ice cream yesterday.

I know! Also, all I've had to eat today before getting weighed was a banana which must have made a difference.

It's brilliant - the most I've known you lose in one go - and you had some challenges. You seem to have Sussed it!

Thanks BeeBee (is that an OK abreviation?) Husband is getting stronger but having the good sense to rest - my boy? Healthy enough but still gets paralysed with anxiety. The good news is that AT LAST he has agreed to see the psychiatrist and see what help she can give to help him think about things in a different way. As I describe it, carefully avoiding words like therapy and counselling. All of which he avoided as much as possible during his hospital stays.

And as for me, I am BUZZING. I weighed in one day earlier. I wanted a decent loss this week, my goal was three and I lost SIX. I got the weighing lady to do me twice as I wouldn't believe it. I've had a few mugs of soup instead of meals and ate a lot of home made seitan which I love with mushrooms cooked separately and then all squirted with the BBQ frylight. I think I've been a bit more careful to have the third or more SF as well. But oh my oh my ... I had a day of choccolate extravaganza and I did have a lot of cake and ice cream yesterday.

Whatever abbreviation you like :) I often get called Bee so that might be the easiest. Or BBC which is the clever idea behind my name...coz I loves the telly :D

Glad to hear that your husband is doing better and your son is willing to see the psychiatrist! That is really good news. I do hope she can help him with his anxiety, I have seen some slowly progressing but long term changes in a lot of people with various problems who have had therapy.

Oh my, what a loss Micci!!! 6lb is amazing!! You are doing so well, let that momentum sweep you along to give you confidence to just carry on that way.

I don't eat much on weigh in days, it might seem silly but whatever we put in, will weigh us down so in my mind it could give a false reading. Maybe that is just in my obsessive nature. I don't starve myself on weigh in days but I eat a few bits regularly and stop drinking a couple of hours before so it has a chance to filter through :D

Brekkie: Rest of last night's penne with green beans sprinkled with nutritional yeast. A syn or two unmeasured. Peach and a banana

Snack: Punnet of blueberries

Lunch: Orzo do we detect a pasta theme here?) with white kidney beans, lots of mixed salad, fresh tomatoes with boullion powder

Last edited:
Peaches are good this year! Hic ;)

I've been just about living off fruit here, and went to a Turkish shop that is usually good for fruit and veg. I've two globe artichokes waiting for me to google what to do with them. In primary school our French teacher brought some in for the children to try and that is the only time I've had any. At the moment I've some of the Sainsbury's frozen dark cherries that I'm eating like ice cream. I also got some (possibly) Polish gingerbread with a chocolate covering and a strawberry middle. OH read the calories for me, and I weighed one and worked out that it had 5 syns so have had two. I very much hope my maths was right.

Apart from fruit all I've had today is what I listed earlier. I might cook some mushrooms to go with the beans and orzo that is still left over. Oh, and have some almond milk with cardomens and vanilla before bed.

Later. It was actually some left over scrambled tofu with a couple of guessed syns with the orzo and beans. So, not to self, go light on the syns tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hey Micci - wow what a fab loss, well done!! I agree with the above, with all the stress you've been under that is fantastic to control it so well ams get such a huge loss!!
Glad hubby has agreed to getting some help. Hopefully it'll help, though I guess these things take time.
Good news on the bees too. I must plant some lavender in the garden, try and encourage them. I keep finding one solitary bee hovering in the same place in my garage. I open the door, there he is and out he flies. Then 10 mins later he finds the little gap under the door and flies straight back in! Can't see any evidence of a nest in there, so god knows what he's up to.

How strange about your one and only bee ... ah, hang on, I'm vaguely remembering something about bees that live solo, google here I come ... aha. There is indeed a bee called a 'Solitary Bee' Solitary Bees (Hymenoptera) | Royal Entomological Society could this be it? Happy nearly birthday to the buns :)

I've been looking at charts, to get to being merely overweight I have to get down to a BMI of 30 or less and drop to just under 190 lbs, around 13 and a half stone. Heck, that's around 4st just to get to being overweight. It seems more than a little daunting. But, it is not impossible.

I'm sitting here getting hungrier and hungrier and wanting something sweet and carby like porrige or rice pudding. So I'm going to do a quick soup and put some rice on that I can chop some fruit into and have with some almond milk. I am determined.

Back