Food without the angst - Vegan SW

I've been looking at charts, to get to being merely overweight I have to get down to a BMI of 30 or less and drop to just under 190 lbs, around 13 and a half stone. Heck, that's around 4st just to get to being overweight. It seems more than a little daunting. But, it is not impossible. I'm sitting here getting hungrier and hungrier and wanting something sweet and carby like porrige or rice pudding. So I'm going to do a quick soup and put some rice on that I can chop some fruit into and have with some almond milk. I am determined.

Oh I used to love a great rice pud. Don't be daunted by the 'overweight ' bmi- every loss is great and you are doing great

Just seeing if I can add photos. Seeing as how this is a food blog (mainly) here is a risotto I had a while back.

Risotto.jpg

It worked! But how come some people have big pictures? Stamps feet and sulks, I want big pictures too.

It worked! But how come some people have big pictures? Stamps feet and sulks, I want big pictures too.

When other people reading your diary click on your pictures they become big - otherwise they stay small and compact within the thread. I'm speaking on experience of using the minimins app for iPhone only though :)

Lisa x

Same here. And I love risotto.
As for the daunting journey - I'm in a similar position. All I can say is try not to look at the big numbers. Just look at the next lb. Eventually they become a stone, then two....
One day, we will just be overweight :)

Same here. And I love risotto.
As for the daunting journey - I'm in a similar position. All I can say is try not to look at the big numbers. Just look at the next lb. Eventually they become a stone, then two....
One day, we will just be overweight :)

I agree with this totally. I get these high days when I feel really light and positive and think of all the people who lose like 7 stone plus and think yea that'll be me.

And then I have days (like this week) when I just feel like I'm wading through treacle. And think of this major journey ahead. I have to stop doing that. I once wrote this super long (and super boring) thread on short term vs. long term view in weight loss and how to strike the balance as to stay motivated. Really finding this hard at the moment.

Perhaps just live from one week to the next, one weigh in to the next and be glad to live healthily and do something good for your body. And the weight will be almost a side effect of it and go down steadily.

You're all right of course, the big picture can be so big that it is daunting. I remember folk tails were people havd to do phenominal tasks and the magic way of doing it ... cutting down forests, moving mountains, sorting out piles of grain etc ... was to keep your head down and look at the task in hand.

So each week I will appreciate the loss (fingers crossed!) and eventually will get there. I could beat myself up about getting this way but it doesn't help. I did the best I could at the time, now I am doing the best I can and am in a better state and by best is better.

News on OH: He went back to work just for a visit and discovered that the person who took a photograph and then left him was management of the firm who work in the building his firm contracts to look after. This person being management, NOTHING, and yes, I did raise my voice in indignation. was done - no disciplinary or anything. OH's own management are quite happy to tell him who this person was, but yesterday OH decided he didn't want to know. He wants to think what to do about this without his judgement possibly being coloured by his previous feelings about this person.

He is still weak and sleeping a lot but is getting up more and doing bits around the house. Well, making cups of tea, cooking the odd meal. He will cope with T's tutor today whilst I am out.

You're all right of course, the big picture can be so big that it is daunting. I remember folk tails were people havd to do phenominal tasks and the magic way of doing it ... cutting down forests, moving mountains, sorting out piles of grain etc ... was to keep your head down and look at the task in hand. So each week I will appreciate the loss (fingers crossed!) and eventually will get there. I could beat myself up about getting this way but it doesn't help. I did the best I could at the time, now I am doing the best I can and am in a better state and by best is better. News on OH: He went back to work just for a visit and discovered that the person who took a photograph and then left him was management of the firm who work in the building his firm contracts to look after. This person being management, NOTHING, and yes, I did raise my voice in indignation. was done - no disciplinary or anything. OH's own management are quite happy to tell him who this person was, but yesterday OH decided he didn't want to know. He wants to think what to do about this without his judgement possibly being coloured by his previous feelings about this person. He is still weak and sleeping a lot but is getting up more and doing bits around the house. Well, making cups of tea, cooking the odd meal. He will cope with T's tutor today whilst I am out.

That's terrible. Totally unacceptable. I'd never let that happen. I've had a problem with someone senior's practice and I just went to talk to someone very senior about it. Obviously it's my job to oversee that stuff but it's just not fair that someone gets away with such negligent and unethical behaviour. Talk to ACAS... Glad he is getting better.

Yes, think of it simply as a lifestyle change that will, over time, lead to you being your goal weight. Take off the pressure. I know it's easy to get panicky about our size and think 'I've got to lose it now to get healthier' but as I said, each little bit is a little bit better and that's how we need to look at it. We could sell get cross about getting to where we are but it's not greed, it's emotions and we needed that at the tim, it helped us get through: but not anymore!

He's going to see his own HR or Personel as he says they are still called where he is. It's not a unionised site unfortunately. Very unfortunately. I hadn't thought of ACAS, aren't they rather the big guns rather than where you start with an issue? I'll find their phone number and a website and see if OH will get advice. He was thinking about one of those ambulance chaser legal firms but atm really needs to concentrate on his own health.

You're so very right about it not being greed but emotions and I am still grateful that my 'inappropriate coping mechanism' has led to damage that I can put right again. Half a pound by half a pound if that's the way it goes.

Food: Loads of fruit and a packet of Pom Bear crisps at 3.5 syns

No ACAS are there for confidential advice at any stage. They've got a line you can call. They can be a bit vague but they're worth a try. HR are not always great (yes I know I'm one but that's just the truth) and sometimes are 'for' the managers too (I'm not I consider all staff equally my customers who all need fair balanced advice). It's worth a try though and maybe the threat of a grievance although sadly you do always need to consider the stress impact and professional impact. Not right and not fair but it's a balancing act

Thanks Mal.

I had a moment of what seems to be called a non scale victory, I had a bath and noticed my towel wrapped all the way around my hips. Yay, no more embarrasing gaps. My trousers are also falling down.

Sizing is strange. These are a 20 and they are too loose. But then, they are loose linen and that does give after being worn for a few days. I've other 20's that I can't get into yet and one pair that didn't do up now does do up but they are too tight for comfort or to look any good. Of course, as I buy all my clothes from charity shops I don't know how old they are. M&S used to be notorious for small sizing up until a few years back and these lovely green ones that seem more like an 18 than a 20 are M&S.

Waffle waffle ... more food: A packet of Sainsbury's frozen dark cherries and a plate half and half with tinned green beens and a couple of free Linda M sausages.

No ACAS are there for confidential advice at any stage. They've got a line you can call. They can be a bit vague but they're worth a try. HR are not always great (yes I know I'm one but that's just the truth) and sometimes are 'for' the managers too (I'm not I consider all staff equally my customers who all need fair balanced advice). It's worth a try though and maybe the threat of a grievance although sadly you do always need to consider the stress impact and professional impact. Not right and not fair but it's a balancing act

I have a lot of respect for your profession from when I was a Union Rep. Well the woman I used to deal with was very fair, but her boss was a bit of a lecher.

Okay, who broke facebook?

Oh, I ache! Woke up at 6.00, did some little bits around the house and then decided to go for my first swim in months, and to WALK there. IT's about 3 miles and after the first mile or so I realised I'd not be up in time to get m'boy up. And that I was getting rather knackered.

So I got a bus, and still only had time for about 15 minutes in the water. So I got out, had to ponce some shampoo from someone else as I'd forgotten mine and rush home again. On the bus, and bought fruit and drinks which meant heavy bags to carry as well. Now, I ache all over. Must go out again soon as I've a little cat sitting responsibilty this week, don't want the little furry darling to get hungry the first night her people are away.

There is one slight problem here, as I've a car full of bedframe. A very pretty bedframe it is too but I've no-where really to put it. A mad moment of last minute ebay bidding insanity. Dear daughter will be visiting in August and I gave her bed away when she left home and I was having wild ideas of putting a summerhouse in the garden with the bed in it for her but there is no spare cash for the scheme. We've no rooms going spare either. Having a boy tutored at home and a double cat toilet in the back half of the living room all means a lot of lot of the space wouldn't be avaiable anymore. So ... the bedframe in the car.

I think I will sneak it out of the car and down to the end of the garden when OH is asleep and hope I can come up with something for it. I would love her to have it, it's very pretty but she is in Belfast and I am in London. Shipping would make a bargain much much less of a bargain and driving to Belfast, me being the only driver, would take so flipping long. It would have to involve an overnight stop and that, with the cost of petrol means public transport is a much better option.

Food, masses of fruit, mashed potato with baked beans and tinned toms. Around ten syns worth of chocolate.

Bother! I thought the 50/50 breads had been added to the B list. Bother again, as I've had two slices in a banana sandwich.

They were tens syns ;( Oh well, another synless day tomorrow. Still, I had planned a higher intake some days as keeping too low for too long a) messes up the metabolism and c) takes away any leeway for when the losing gets tougher.

My no syn day has started, lots of fruit to snack on and breakfast was tofu marinated with nutritional yeast, thyme and soya sauce with a peach. I'm off shopping for more almond milk then me and the boy will do some more garden (ahem, jungle) clearing, he can have a break whilst I go and feed a friend's cat then we'll have a bonfire, have baths and go to bed.

What could possibly go wrong, ha?

The bonfire was fun ;) I warned the neighbours but nevertheless someone called the fire brigade so we had three uniformed chaps crashing through the garden to look at it, decided it was small and under control but asked me not to put anything more on as if they got called again they would have to put it out. I'm not toooo sure were I would have stood on debating that but we had finished anyway. We've almost got to soil in places now :)

I'm gritting my teeth as I let m'boy loose with heavy weaponry and he's loving it but if I get finickity about too many plants I want to keep he will lose patience with it all. So my line is, hack it all back, we need the space and it will grow again. Which it will.

Food, I've had fruit, more fruit and even more fruit with a banana sandwidge in 2 ryvita. 1 chocolate (2 syns) and teeny tasters of drink and bits as I've prepared for other people so we could say around 5 syns max. Not sure about supper, it feels a bit late to eat properly. I like days when I'm busy and productive and hardly have the interest in food. So nice to see a box of chocolates and decide that I would like one, but be OK to leave it at one. I'd very much like this ability to stay with me now.

More excitement was as I was driving home from cat sitting. I saw someone who loked unconscious, lying in the road anyway, with a bunch of people standing around. Driving past I thought, oh good, he is being looked after ...... oh heck, he was on his back with a pillow under his head ... oh heck. So I went round the block, inadvertantly entered a one way street from the wrong end and parked inappropriately and went to offer my words of wisdom. Fortunately the bloke was more or less conscious and the people he was with knew about the recovery position and had called an ambulance. So I did a three point turn, excited the one way street in the right direction, explaining myself to other drivers and came home. Gosh.

Back