Food without the angst - Vegan SW

Weighing day! I lost 2.5 lbs. Not masses for three weeks, but all in the right direction. 1lb to go for my 1.5 st award, and 6 lbs to my club 10. I am resolved to go for the 6, I've done it twice before. Even if I don't do it, there's nothing wrong with aiming high, and I'm sure to get at least a pound off. I've an event coming up in September and I'd love to be back down to an 18 by then.

So the plan. Lots of speed soup, lots of seitan which was what I was eating when I had the astonishing week. Keep to about 5 syns a day and eat my HEs but maybe only one a day of each. Less bananas might be a good idea too.

Deep breath, here I go ;)

Weighing day! I lost 2.5 lbs. Not masses for three weeks, but all in the right direction. 1lb to go for my 1.5 st award, and 6 lbs to my club 10. I am resolved to go for the 6, I've done it twice before. Even if I don't do it, there's nothing wrong with aiming high, and I'm sure to get at least a pound off. I've an event coming up in September and I'd love to be back down to an 18 by then. So the plan. Lots of speed soup, lots of seitan which was what I was eating when I had the astonishing week. Keep to about 5 syns a day and eat my HEs but maybe only one a day of each. Less bananas might be a good idea too. Deep breath, here I go ;)

That's great. 2.5 is fab. Go for it aim high. You are doing great. Sorry to hear oh not doing great but glad the issues were addressed

Thanks Mal <3

Aaaargh, one cat is in the vet's on an IV drip because she got creosote on her and licked it off, and another is in small room confinemet until he gets an op on his knee for a damaged ligament in his knee. Or was, he got out somehow last night and I pray it wasn't through the window. I'm sick with worry about all this, and yes, I had a whole packet of cinder toffee last night. Today is hunt for Albert and see how Polly is day, and get back on track with SW. Tbh, I don't really give a monkey's about SW right now but it's second nature now and I know it doesn't help the situation any to over eat.

Albert came home this afternoon, and Polly is OK :) :) :)

And I've made a super nice version of houmous. It needs the B choice olive oil added to a tin of chickpeas, rinsed, with garlic, onion salt and lemon juice. It was by far the nicest home made houmous I've ever had. I did in rolls with crunchy lettuce served with fresh cherry tomatoes. Yum.

Aaaargh, one cat is in the vet's on an IV drip because she got creosote on her and licked it off, and another is in small room confinemet until he gets an op on his knee for a damaged ligament in his knee. Or was, he got out somehow last night and I pray it wasn't through the window. I'm sick with worry about all this, and yes, I had a whole packet of cinder toffee last night. Today is hunt for Albert and see how Polly is day, and get back on track with SW. Tbh, I don't really give a monkey's about SW right now but it's second nature now and I know it doesn't help the situation any to over eat.

Now this is fantastic... To hear you say overrating doesn't help the situation and actually not do it is so far away from how you have been. It's lovely to hear and I'm so so pleased for you

Now this is fantastic... To hear you say overrating doesn't help the situation and actually not do it is so far away from how you have been. It's lovely to hear and I'm so so pleased for you

Thanks Mal. Sadly, after writing that I totally lost the plot. So I'm on here and despite the title of this diary it is going to be a bit angsty. I think to start off with I just overate mindlessly through worry. Lots going on with the cats and G is still really not got his stamina back, he goes to work and sleeps/rests the rest of the time so really I am just about coping on my own. Well, slight exageration, he did my windscreen wipers this afternoon and we went for a little walk along the river.

Then I wanted to compensate for comparitively minor overeating and tried a fruit fast but failed miserably every evening then fell into serious binging as I felt a failure - punishing myself for falling off the high standards I wanted for myself and also eating to blot out the feelings. This writing here is in lieu of going to counselling to explore issues, I'm officially moving into the next 'emotionally strong and healthy' stage of my life.

So, from this I have learned, not to set my goals too hight to start with. 6 lbs was plain silly. Fasting is not a viable option for me now, even if it has been in the past. It is OK to have a little fall by the wayside, pick myself up and carry on. I do not have to severely deprive myself to catch up, this is not a race, I'll get there when I do.

So - future plans. Weigh myself at the chemist Tuesday evening as I won't have the car (MOT and other work) and will be rushing around like the proverbial blue bottomed fly with getting Albert in for his op, getting to my Pilates class by bus, taking T to get summer clothes (YAY !!!!! He is considering shorts - it has sunk in that heavy black jeans are not the best for this weather) getting him to the chemist to check his BMI and BP and doing some maths with him and encouraging his to make a start on his science summer work. Boring putting away of shopping and tidying, getting the cage up (and space made for it for Albert to go into when he comes home again_ Checking tents, cooking stuff, sleeping bags - everything for camping. Sort out how T's friend will get there, will I have to detour to get him or will his mum get him there? In which case I will have to be careful about my own timing so as to meet them. Yes, lots to organise but I like to think that now I've done this thinking and typing at least I won't be munching whilst I do it.

Thanks Mal. Sadly, after writing that I totally lost the plot. So I'm on here and despite the title of this diary it is going to be a bit angsty. I think to start off with I just overate mindlessly through worry. Lots going on with the cats and G is still really not got his stamina back, he goes to work and sleeps/rests the rest of the time so really I am just about coping on my own. Well, slight exageration, he did my windscreen wipers this afternoon and we went for a little walk along the river. Then I wanted to compensate for comparitively minor overeating and tried a fruit fast but failed miserably every evening then fell into serious binging as I felt a failure - punishing myself for falling off the high standards I wanted for myself and also eating to blot out the feelings. This writing here is in lieu of going to counselling to explore issues, I'm officially moving into the next 'emotionally strong and healthy' stage of my life. So, from this I have learned, not to set my goals too hight to start with. 6 lbs was plain silly. Fasting is not a viable option for me now, even if it has been in the past. It is OK to have a little fall by the wayside, pick myself up and carry on. I do not have to severely deprive myself to catch up, this is not a race, I'll get there when I do. So - future plans. Weigh myself at the chemist Tuesday evening as I won't have the car (MOT and other work) and will be rushing around like the proverbial blue bottomed fly with getting Albert in for his op, getting to my Pilates class by bus, taking T to get summer clothes (YAY !!!!! He is considering shorts - it has sunk in that heavy black jeans are not the best for this weather) getting him to the chemist to check his BMI and BP and doing some maths with him and encouraging his to make a start on his science summer work. Boring putting away of shopping and tidying, getting the cage up (and space made for it for Albert to go into when he comes home again_ Checking tents, cooking stuff, sleeping bags - everything for camping. Sort out how T's friend will get there, will I have to detour to get him or will his mum get him there? In which case I will have to be careful about my own timing so as to meet them. Yes, lots to organise but I like to think that now I've done this thinking and typing at least I won't be munching whilst I do it.

We all slip up - that's why we are where we are : we use food/enjoy food/need food. I think we need to accept that blips are normal and don't mean we have failed at all, it's just a part of the process . You have a lot on, go easy on yourself

Yeah, part of the process and a 'valuable learning experience' Curses, I hate them. But having totally lost ot and gorged for two weeks now I think I understand it now. I've had so much on, so much responsibily that I've done my usual thing of putting my own needs to the back of the list.

This is me musing to put my thoughts in place.

Last night I thought I'd come to terms with getting back on track and instead of punishing myself for the three bars of chocolate plus more earlier in the day I decided to have my allowed treat of 4 weetabix in coconut milk (2 X he B) so as to get back into it without feeling deprived. Then, as I was taking my bowl into the kitchen I saw the biscuit jar and thought 'it doesn't matter anyway' and quickly (very quickly so I don't notice and stop myself, plus the calories don't count when you eat them fast) gobbled down several. lots in fact.

Thinking about it, it is the 'it doesn't matter' thought I want to follow up here. I do flipping matter. Even if I'm caring for a sick husband, a troubled teen, a sick cat and making plans how I can get all of them vaccinated, the car's MOT, sorting out the stuff for the holiday, shopping, doing all the normal stuff plus now finding my escaped plants from the garden are causing my neighbour great distress so I will have to go in and clear their garden is NO reason for me to neglect myself. I missed the last pilates / tai chi session because of all this and I'm slipping in prioritising myself. At a deep level I feel bad about that and eat to cover the hurt.

So, plans. I still want to lose weight. Just because I can now get into most of my size 20s now (snd they have started getting tighter again) does not mean I do not want to get more slender. Just because my actions and emotions are geared into looking after other's needs noes NOT mean I cannot take care of myself. Trouble is, it is a lot easier to neck a couple of packets of biscuits rather than make the effort to go out for a walk, go swimming, make music - all activities I know benefit me more. I am pretty exhausted though, but doing good things that benefit me will energise me.

I've just had a look at the swimming pool timetable - there is adult lane swimming tonight and I promise myself I will go to that.

Got a healthy SW friendly meal cooking right now and all I've had to snack on was beetroot from a salad I was making so I like to feel I'm on track again.

Yeah, part of the process and a 'valuable learning experience' Curses, I hate them. But having totally lost ot and gorged for two weeks now I think I understand it now. I've had so much on, so much responsibily that I've done my usual thing of putting my own needs to the back of the list. This is me musing to put my thoughts in place. Last night I thought I'd come to terms with getting back on track and instead of punishing myself for the three bars of chocolate plus more earlier in the day I decided to have my allowed treat of 4 weetabix in coconut milk (2 X he B) so as to get back into it without feeling deprived. Then, as I was taking my bowl into the kitchen I saw the biscuit jar and thought 'it doesn't matter anyway' and quickly (very quickly so I don't notice and stop myself, plus the calories don't count when you eat them fast) gobbled down several. lots in fact. Thinking about it, it is the 'it doesn't matter' thought I want to follow up here. I do flipping matter. Even if I'm caring for a sick husband, a troubled teen, a sick cat and making plans how I can get all of them vaccinated, the car's MOT, sorting out the stuff for the holiday, shopping, doing all the normal stuff plus now finding my escaped plants from the garden are causing my neighbour great distress so I will have to go in and clear their garden is NO reason for me to neglect myself. I missed the last pilates / tai chi session because of all this and I'm slipping in prioritising myself. At a deep level I feel bad about that and eat to cover the hurt. So, plans. I still want to lose weight. Just because I can now get into most of my size 20s now (snd they have started getting tighter again) does not mean I do not want to get more slender. Just because my actions and emotions are geared into looking after other's needs noes NOT mean I cannot take care of myself. Trouble is, it is a lot easier to neck a couple of packets of biscuits rather than make the effort to go out for a walk, go swimming, make music - all activities I know benefit me more. I am pretty exhausted though, but doing good things that benefit me will energise me. I've just had a look at the swimming pool timetable - there is adult lane swimming tonight and I promise myself I will go to that. Got a healthy SW friendly meal cooking right now and all I've had to snack on was beetroot from a salad I was making so I like to feel I'm on track again.

Wow I'm sure this post will resonate with many . It certainly did with me and I am with you on reminding myself that I matter and am a priority. Thank you for your honesty in a truly inspiring post x

Wow I'm sure this post will resonate with many . It certainly did with me and I am with you on reminding myself that I matter and am a priority. Thank you for your honesty in a truly inspiring post x

Gosh, THANKS, Kami. I was talking things though with myself the way I used to at counselling.

It did work, my internal dialogue has shifted back to calling myself 'the incredible shrinking woman' as I used to and every time I go past the big mirror my the stairs where I can see myself clearly I remind myself that I am back to shrinking again.

Last night I was so exhausted that I didn't go swimming. The lanes session which is the only one I enjoy properly was from 9.00 till 10.00 come 8.00 I was realising that although I'd enjoy being in the water I didn't want to pack, drive, park, walk etc. G, my oh, was trying to persuade me to go - he is very supportive of me - but in the end I went to bed and was asleep by 9.30 which is unheard of for me. He did the bedtime supervision of the afore mentioned troubled teen AFAIK they are both still asleep.

So although I didn't get my self nuturing swim I did get the sleep I needed. Now for a proper breakfast rather than this, oh I can live off apples nonsense ;)

Thanks again.

Oh glad you got the sleep you needed.

You can't make other healthy choices if you're running on empty.

Hope today is a good one for you x

Ha, this was meant to be a food diary!!!

Breakfast: 3 Free Linda Mc Onion and rosemary sausages, tinned tomatoes, coffee

Lunch: 1 small and totally inadequate bowl of a salad made of chickpeas, tinned sweetcorn, fresh tomatoes and gerkhins. As I said, not enough so I'm going to have a prowl and see what I can find. Probably a home made soup quickly knocked up out of tins.

It was another bowl of the same, there was some left.

I've been reading about horrific hygiene issues in UK chicken procesing units. Goodness knows if I'll be allowed to keep this link, vegan campaigning is not approved of by Minis. But I am vegan for four reasons, the effect of meat husbandry on climate change, the fact we could produce more food from the same land if we didn't feed most of the grain and other crops to animals, the effect on the animals themselves of course, and human health. This newspaper article focuses very much on human health so I hope it does not contravene any rules, but obviously if it helps anyone rethink their food stategy this is good.

Revealed: the dirty secret of the UK

Gosh! A plate of SW style chips done with BBQ frylight with Moo Free Melty 'Cheese' on top does NOT taste like any sort of diet food. I was going to take a photo to show but my hand was moving too fast from plate to mouth to get my phone out.

Funny, typing about enthusiastic eating feels obscene to me. I was brought up by someone who cared very much what the neighbours thought, who strove to be 'proper' all the time. Amongst her issues was eating in the street. She called it 'eating in public' but of course, she was OK about eating in cafes and restaurants. I think that that, along with her yo yoing and insisting on her being virtuose due to not eating gave me some very complicated emotions around eating.

I knew that whilst she was fasting and saying she was 'good' for not eating and at the same time telling me I was 'bad' for refusing to eat all that was on my plate I got very confused. I hadn't though, thought more about this 'eating in public' thing. I am sometimes ashamed to be seen eating and years ago when much much more slender than I am now I wouldn't go out to eat, for the shame of being seen.

There is also so much fat shaming and food shaming being done now on social media. That website devoted to sneaky pics taken of women eating on the underground. And so may pictures on FB of fat people eating with very very nasty comments attached.

No wonder it is a struggle for so many of us to come to understand and trust our appetite.

Good news came in a brown envelope today. We've been awarded DLA for my son, higher rate care and lower rate mobility. I can't say enough what a relief this is - the overdraft was nearly at it's limit - G not working, poorly cats ... and now with the back payments it will be cleared. I can also apply for carer's allowance. Of course, this only lasts till he's 16, he will have to apply for PIP then but until that is processed he will stay on DLA.

This is good for my self esteem too. It gives formal recognition to how difficult it is and has been with him. A lovely boy. kind and generous and thoughtful but so paralysed with anxiety that he can hardly function in the outside world.

Of course, my hope is that he can get better and cope better as he gets older, maybe with different meds and I can look for proper work again. Maybe that will be hard at nearly 60 and been out of the employment market for so long but I've an inspiring friend not much younger who is doing well. She has a daughter with severe MH issues, as the daughter turned 18 and moved into supported housing she has started training in a new field but relevant to her experience with her daughter. This is despite her own ill health. If she can do it, so can I.

Woo hoo, out of debt to the Nat West.

Wow, so pleased that things are turning a corner for you.

Money worries compound everything else so hopefully you will find everything else going on a little easier to cope with now x

Just catching up. Firstly, yes, you do matter and actually should be your number one priority always otherwise you (we all) will be no use to anyone. Secondly, fantastic news re DLA. I know this has been on your mind for ages and it's right you should receive this. Hope careers allowance comes your way too. You will be able to get a job no problem. You have the passion you & ethic and any employer would be lucky to have you. You sound so positive and the analysis you do when you ho off plan shows a real awareness, wish it had this at the moment!!

Thanks Mal. Sadly, after writing that I totally lost the plot. So I'm on here and despite the title of this diary it is going to be a bit angsty. I think to start off with I just overate mindlessly through worry. .....

Then I wanted to compensate for comparitively minor overeating and tried a fruit fast but failed miserably every evening then fell into serious binging as I felt a failure - punishing myself for falling off the high standards I wanted for myself and also eating to blot out the feelings. This writing here is in lieu of going to counselling to explore issues, I'm officially moving into the next 'emotionally strong and healthy' stage of my life.

So, from this I have learned, not to set my goals too hight to start with. 6 lbs was plain silly. Fasting is not a viable option for me now, even if it has been in the past. It is OK to have a little fall by the wayside, pick myself up and carry on. I do not have to severely deprive myself to catch up, this is not a race, I'll get there when I do...

Micci, I am only now catching up after a rather long absence. My heart really goes out to you when I read your posts. You clearly understand what is going on and at the same time it is so painfully clear what a powerful opponent Addiction is. I really feel for you, I have been there myself, last week in fact. Before going on holiday, I managed really well to stick to SW but the day before leaving I went on a total food rampage simply as a prelude to being off plan on holiday. How stupid. Then on holiday being around people I ate normal along with them all, but coming home was almost like a free bus pass to food city central and I went mad for a few days. It is incredible what it does to your emotional state and how you view yourself. I disliked myself so intensely for repeating the same pattern that I knew the outcome of so very well. And despite being back on plan now since last Friday, I know it will take a little while for my fragile self belief to smooth out the dents the binge put in it last week.
The bizarre and actually insane thing about the build up to a binge is that it's like pressure that gets to the point where I basically decide that it's going to happen. And then it's a release of that pressure but very short lived indeed. It's horrifying really how your own emotions can convince you that this act of overeating nullifies everything else that is good in your life or any achievement you could be proud of.

I like what you said about realistic goals. Yes it is a long term thing we are in now and the goals need to reflect that. If you think of it as a race, here is an illustration. Usain Bolt holds the world record for 100 metre sprint in under 10 seconds. So would it be reasonable to think that he could run the marathon in under one hour? The world record for men in running the marathon is 2hrs3min I believe. So is the sprint runner a better runner? Is the marathon runner lazy?

Our goal alters the approach, doesn't it. And although we know we are running a marathon, when we slip up it's almost instinctive to try and rectify by becoming a sprinter. How would a marathon runner fare if he constantly altered his approach between sprinting and his normal pace?

This was my problem again last week. After my holiday and the subsequent binge, going back on plan I felt bad for every bit I ate no matter how healthy. And I wanted to restrict my food intake as much as I could to try and make up for the damage I had done. It just doesn't work, does it. The deprivation that follows the overindulgence is a punishment and punishment makes you feel even worse.

...Now for a proper breakfast rather than this, oh I can live off apples nonsense ;) ....
Exactly!! :)

I had counselling for a few years and it did me the world of good in understanding and recognising the issues. It does not mean being in control of it sadly but having insight makes dealing with it a lot easier. And I had decided to go back to it. A lot relates back to my upbringing and how my mum instilled in me such a warped view of food, on one hand eating was a comforter for when things went wrong, on the other hand it was a sign of lack of control. Saying no would be like a personal rejection of what had been prepared/bought but having it was proof of how uncontrolled I was. I really don't think she knows the ripples of those actions and how it is affecting me so much today. But despite that, I am in the driver's seat now, my choices are exactly that. MY choices.

I hope you are doing ok at the moment Micci, don't beat yourself up on your worst day and don't reach for the unreachable on your good days. Try staying somewhere in between :) xx

Back