Food

I had a major foot operation on Thursday (30/8/12) it's called a Triple Arthrodesis fusion, and basically since waking up that afternoon I have been on so much morphine, codeine, paracetamol and anti clotting injections I havent had an appetite. I really haven't eaten, I've used a calorie counter and the most I've had in the last 7 days is like 900calories.

I am just not hungry, I don't want to eat. I've been drinking LOTS like 3 litres of water a day plus lots of tea (without sugar). I know I need to eat to help the healing process but I just haven't managed any more than what I've forced inside.

I need to lose weight so is my body just using my fat stores to sustain me at the moment or what?

I have been on and off dieting for last year or so and lost just under 3 stone and want to lose more but obviously due to not being able to walk etc exercise is out the question it's all diet alone now.

Is it the medication, the pain or the fact I'm not using any energy that is suppressing my appetite?? I want to lose weight but it seems weird not eating.

Advice and suggestions welcome

Thank you

Have you tried healthy soups? Or even protein shakes. Just something to get some nutrition in you.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

I think the best thing is to talk to your doctor. Your nutrition is part of the recovery process and very important.

In the meantime, I think soups are a great call. You need vitamins & minerals as well as the other stuff so boil up some veg in veg stock and blitz in a blender. It's simple & doesn't take much effort. And it won't feel like 'eating'.

The main thing is not to starve yourself as it might affect your recovery and is not a healthy way to lose weight. Your focus should be on getting better.

Good luck xx

Maybe you are losing weight (can't imagine you not on 900 calories yikes!) but the medication is making you bloat:(

Back