For Beginner or Short Distance Runners....

Domane

I've just "graduated" the Couch to 5K programme and have achieved three 5K runs "solo" in the past two weeks. However, this morning I have decided to do the "Move a Mile" 30-day challenge and run a mile every day instead of longer distances two or three times a week.

I ran my first mile this morning and my time was much faster than if I was doing 5K as I didn't feel the need to pace myself so much. Tomorrow I am going to try to better my time.

Just thought I'd pass on the Challenge if anyone else fancies doing it too???

Well done for doing the couch to 5k Jane :)
I did this programme too and I've reached the point where I can 'run' (very slow jog!) for 40 minutes. I want to keep doing it until I can finish my group 5k run on Saturdays in 30 mins or less, then I'm going to move on to the Couch to 10k, but I think doing the occasional 'fast mile' is a fab idea, just to shake things up a bit and practise faster pacing.
Good luck!

Thank you. Actually I have to confess, I only did the mile-a-day thing for a week. I got cold feet (proverbially!) and started worrying that I'd lose the ability to run longer so I've gone back to running further distances just three times a week. BUT my speed has improved immensely - and I feel a lot stronger when I run, so that week of shorter sprints REALLY did me some good :)

That's really useful to know Jane. I think I'll definitely do the same thing for a week then, a mile a day, when I've got my 5k time down. Fab tip!

im not a beginner runner, but I am terrible at 5ks and 10ks....

want to improve my timing on those more than anything. my average 5k is 40 mins yet I can do a half marathon in less than 2 hours. really need to get the 5k time better! :(

in my shorter runs (3 - 7 miles) ive been doing one mile as a sprint - fastest one has been 7 minutes- and the other miles a slower run/jog. seems to have worked as im getting faster but im still not happy with my 5k timings.
I have a 5k in 3 weeks and I don't wanna be the last finisher again

Back