Forums

I was quite surprised when I joined slimming world that they dont have their own online support forums. Especially for those members who cant get to meetings and are doing it online. The support of others on the diet is what keeps you motivated. WW has a great online support forum.

:eek: I think the WW forums are the worst Ive seen, theyre so hard to follow, I hate how when you post on them the thread stays where it was doesnt jump up to the top. I found them really incredibly OT and very cliquey.

Yes WW forums are cliquey. You guys have made me feel really welcome today - more than I ever was on the WW forum

:grouphugg:

I can bet you they also don't want the "legal" hassles.

These days everyone wants to sue everyone for something, and if someone posts something wrong etc etc and then they are the ones landed in hot water.

I'm guessing the executive decision was made that it was less hassle to NOT have a forum and one less thing to worry about.

just pulled this off the FAQ's on the sw website....

Q: Do your websites provide a message board or forum for members?
A: We have researched the use of forums and message boards on a variety of websites (slimming and otherwise) in depth over the last several years. Although many of the messages posted are generally supportive, the misuse of these boards is sadly evident. Some of this is done completely out of awareness – e.g. helpful hints about Food Optimising, if the basic information is incorrect, can send a member way off track; reading comments intended to be supportive can be interpreted very differently, especially if our self-esteem is already low.

Because slimming is such a personal and emotive subject, especially for those of us who are slimming, thoughtless comments and inconsiderate remarks (sadly it happens) can undo all the hard work that our members have done in plucking up the courage to start Food Optimising or begin a new activity. We have seen the damage and upset that message boards can do to both members and the company, and rather than put our members’ success and the future of the website in jeopardy, we have made the decision not to include any kind of forum.

Sorry but putting my renegades hat on, (and getting out my knitting needles for the scaffold) that is a cop out! Thank G*d for this site!

They seem to missing the most obvious thing - the support and encouragement you get online.

I think SW seem to miss a lot of tricks. Dont know why they dont do things like a Syns Guide for eating out, more of a food range etc... WW have turned their diet into such a commercial success I dont know why SW dont do more of the same. I know I bought a lot of WW stuff for convenience and Id do the same with SW stuff too.

An Eating out Syn book would be a total Godsend

I agree Starlight. I was VERY disappointed this morning to find out that there was no eating out guide :(

I totally agree with all the positive comments about Minimins, and feel really 'deprived' if I can't keep up with all the postings!

It is a really great and valuable site - thanks to all.

An Eating Out syn book would be fantastic, there's just not enough information, even in the Directory.

I think SW seem to miss a lot of tricks. Dont know why they dont do things like a Syns Guide for eating out, more of a food range etc... WW have turned their diet into such a commercial success I dont know why SW dont do more of the same. I know I bought a lot of WW stuff for convenience and Id do the same with SW stuff too.

Absolutely. Our consultant regularly recommends WW products that are low in Syns... I think it's unreal that SW are prepared to promote their main (I assume) competitor's products and brand name. I can't understand why they don't make more effort with their own products and books.

As for running a forum... I can see their point to some extent but I can't think why they allow their main website to be so boring, clunky and difficult to use. My god, I get SO frustrated using the "Syns Online" feature that I want to cry...

Back