Fox attack.... or was it??

ditzeeblonde

Call me Linzi...
I'm just not sure something doesn't seem to ring true. We have loads of foxes around here & seen often in our garden but they've never even come close to the house let alone come in & climb into something!

Poor babies tho... I hope they have a swift recovery.x

Twin girls in hospital after fox attack at London home - Telegraph

I heard it on the news today and just felt so sick and so very sad for the twins and their parents.

When you think of the damage a fox can do to chickens in a chicken coop, once in... they just kill everything!

Foxes are wild animals and can't really be trusted no matter how cute they look.

Haven't seen it on the news so haven't seen how many foxes there are around in London?

I wasn't suggesting that it was in anyway something else rather than an animal just find it odd that in London of all places a fox would do this when we live very rurally & they don't come close to the house BUT then that maybe the difference I guess in London they are much more used to humans that out here?
x

I feel something not quite right here too, there was an 'expert' on the radio this morning who said there have only ever been 2 previous cases and both turned out to be the familt cat of dog.

However whatever happened i hope the girls make a swift and full recovery-at the end of the day that is the most important thing

Good lord, how dreadful. :(

Strange too though, foxes are by nature very cautious, shy creatures who tend to stay well away from humans.

Still, you never know with animals. A friend of mine who lives in a rural area has had problems with a badger coming into the house through the catflap, although with hilarious, rather than scary, consequences. This clever creature made its way into the kitchen, opened cupboards and helped itself to some pet biscuits, then proceeded to open the freezer and make off with a packet of prawns, some frozen haddock and a tub of ice-cream, the remains of which were found all over the garden the next morning. :D

Haven't seen it on the news so haven't seen how many foxes there are around in London?

I wasn't suggesting that it was in anyway something else rather than an animal just find it odd that in London of all places a fox would do this when we live very rurally & they don't come close to the house BUT then that maybe the difference I guess in London they are much more used to humans that out here?
x

I have to admit I was really shocked, there were several of them in the street when the camera crew were there.... I wouldnt have expected to see them being so bold in an area like that at all.

The foxes in London are fearless, they eat by going through rubbish so they come closer to houses and stuff, then they would in the country.

Ive walked passed foxes in the middle of London and been only a few foot away and they havent run, where as when Im at my parents in the country, they run a mile as soon as they see you.

I guess if the window was open direct into the twins room and the fox could get through it easily and heard them making noises, it would have attacked them as it would a young animal.

Poor things, would be better for them if it were a family pet because they are cleaner, wild animal bites are always more serious because more infection and stuff.

Oh and I would block that cat flap up if I were your friend Elizabeth, because a lot of badgers carry TB, the number of TB infected badgers is at such a high at the moment, some areas are considering a mass cull of them

I must admit to having a suspicious thought, but I would have thought the doctors would have been able to tell if the injuries were caused by a bite from an animal. The mother saw the fox in the room so if she is telling the truth it was definitely a fox.

Unfortunately many foxes in urban areas are becoming used to humans - people who find them cute and feed them (like my Nan). There is a fox at the hospital where I work and he thinks nothing of coming upto you.

The foxes in the rural areas where I live run a mile if they see someone - probably because country folk tend to shoot them!

I hope the babies recover well :)

Unfortunately wild animals are becoming cheekier and braver. Rats are starting to enter houses in cities too, they never used to go near houses if they could help it (tho mice obviously always have). Animals are getting more used to people in cities and are gradually getting less afraid.

God love those babies, I wish them a speedy and full recovery xxx

terrible isn't it? I hope the girls make a full recovery. Foxes are definitely getting braver! However, is it likely one would go all the way upstairs into a house? Makes you wonder!

I too find it a bit odd to think that a fox would walk into a house, up 3 flights of stairs (tv pictures imply the girls room was on the 3rd floor) and into the room. Yes Foxes are quite bold specially in London, but find it hard to believe that one would do all that.

I've been thinking about that as well Jools, I know wild animals can be opportunistic feeders, but the sequence of events here seems a bit far fetched to me.

I can understand why poeple think its far fetched but surely if it was anything other than animal injuries, the police and medical profession would have known instantly.

According to Sky news today its not unusual for foxes in areas like this to get 'braver' when trying to get food, and they think the reason its made a bee line for the babies room was its picked up on the smell of their dirry nappies and taken it as 'food'

I hope the babies recover quickly. It's bizarre though. I live a stones throw away from the country and I see foxes every now and then and they are quite timid around humans. It wouldn't surprise me though if this story was used as a catalyst to bring back Fox Hunting.

I pray the babies fully recover. When we lived on a busy street in surbiton, we saw foxes in our garden a few times which was enclosed by a high fence.

I hope those babies recover quickly, bless them. Hopefully the injuries were not too serious.

It does seem strange but not impossible. Our cities and towns are ever expanding and taking the terriotory of many 'wild' animals who end up having to adapt to llive alongside us humans. Take bears in North america and polar bears in canada, they often have problems with them coming into towns looking for food.

On the news earlier today it showed a cctv shot of a fox on a escalator in the London underground!!! Foxes are very clever and cunning animals, if they are after food they will try alsorts!

So it doesn't surprise me one would take the open door as an opportunity to enter a house to find food, especially if that fox had cubs and food was scarce, foxes are superb mothers and will go to great lengths to feed their young. Although it is surprising the fox went upstairs, maybe the fox heard the babies stirring or there was a smell from the room?

Just god bless those two little girls xxx

i don't think it was done by either a fox or a human, i think it was either a family pet or a friends pet and they don't want the animal to be put down. I lived in the country for 23 years and have lived in a city/town for 12 years and every fox i have seen has shied away from human contact. I know this happened in london but to me it really doesn't sound right

We used to regularly see a fox in the kitchen at my husband's house (before we were married) and the foxes around where I have lived (London) and now live (London outskirts) are not that timid or shy. We have a fox that walks through our garden and on the road outside quite openly in the day. They tear open our bags directly outside our front door and if we go outside, they move away a little bit but are pretty defiant about it.

There are estimated to be 33,000 foxes in the UK and 10,000 of those in London, so almost one third. I was most bemused by several comments on the Guardian website yesterday by people suggesting that us 'townies' wouldn't be able to recognise a fox. Ahahaha!

While it's certainly unusual, I don't think there's anything suspicious or unbelievable about it. Foxes are wild animals who can take lambs away and these babies are smaller than that. Very unlikely things happen all the time - just look at the tragic events in Cumbria last week.

Back