Fraud alert from Ebay

KD

Gone fishing
Blimey. Think I've just had an email about a fraud alert that isn't a scam:eek:

It's titled CNS: Fraud Alert

I reckon this one is for real?? (I think anyway) Someone is using my email address fraudruently on Ebay.

So hard to tell these days if it's for real...but I think this one is:eek:

These sorts of messages concerning ebay usually get automatically put in my spam folder by gmail.

Im always very wary of any emails like that from ebay. If in doubt forward it to ebay (with headers) and theyll confirm if its genuine :)

I always forward email to [email protected] or [email protected] they always get back to you and let you know if it is real or not.

Don't touch the link on the email but go to ebay and try your account. It happened to me for real once too so it could be true but definitely let spoof confirm it.

Dizzy x

Umm. That's what I often do, if I catch it before gmail spams it, but this one doesn't want me to click on a link!!

I really think it's for real.

I'll quote it

Hello,

We are writing to alert you to an incident which involved your email address. A little more than an hour ago, someone using a stolen credit card number signed up for hosted services on our network and began sending bogus ebay notices. The notice claimed to be from "Marina", with a question about an ebay item. The purpose of this notice was to steal your ebay password. By clicking on the button to respond to the ebay notice, you would have been redirected to a site disguised as ebay and specifically designed to steal your ebay password.

This activity was identified by our rapid response team here at Commercial Network Services. We immediately logged into the phishers virtually hosted server and caught them in the act of sending these fraudulent messages. While we put a stop to it as quickly as possible, but we believe thousands of messages had been sent.

We have seized the phishers email list and are sending this message to that list - you - to alert you to this activity. If you received a message claiming to be from an ebay member and inquiring about an item - DO NOT RESPOND TO THE NOTICE! Instead, if you believe it is a legitimate notice, manually enter the ebay URL into your browser. It is very important you do not click on the "respond now" link contained inside the message as it will not take you to ebay!

If you received this notice and clicked on the respond link, we strongly recommend you logon to your ebay account * by manually entering eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices in your browser * and change your password immediately.

You should also be cautious in the future in that we know a phisher has your email address. Please be very careful when receiving future notices like this one. The best practice is to always visit the site in question by entering the URL manually in your browser and not clicking on the link contained in the message.

Commercial Network Services is a 12 year old online service provider. We service a variety of online businesses from big to small. Our services include web and email hosting, virtual servers, streaming media, e-Commerce and much more. It is our intention to be a good online neighbor by responding to these threats as quickly as possible.

I've forwarded to ebay for confirmation.

It's really badly written. Can you copy and paste the headers?

The headers look legit.

I've asked on ebay community. General opinion is that it is legit :( but will wait for more replies from them and ebay.

I usually get about 5-6 spoof ebay mails a day, but this really seems different.

This happened to someone i know, her credit card details were used for various things. Fortunately its being refunded and the biggest purchase was unauthorised. She has had written confirmation from Paypal and from Barclaycard so its def not a scam.

I always thought that paypal was secure but suppose nothing is 100%.

Mar x

This happened to someone i know, her credit card details were used for various things. Fortunately its being refunded and the biggest purchase was unauthorised. She has had written confirmation from Paypal and from Barclaycard so its def not a scam.

I always thought that paypal was secure but suppose nothing is 100%.

Mar x

:(

A colleague at school had his whole account emptied out. They used that gadget that fits in the 'hole in the wall'. He put his card in the machine, it copied his details without him knowing. The next guy comes along and nicked everything:(

Anyone watch that brilliant programme? Can't remember what it's called, but it's excellent. Shows you how they do these things.

Aaah. Got it...Real Hustle. It's really good!

anyway..changed my password. Everything I've heard so far from ebay has pointed to it being legit :(

I remember having someone from the fraud sqaud in scotland yard in our job a few years back about the 'skimming' scams....unfortunately they are rife everywhere....basically we were told if you are handing a card over for anything, make sure you can see EXACTLY wats being done with it.... and the fake fascias over the front of cash machines are still going on as well....its mad scary cos I dont want to carry cash about, but when I am back in Dublin would be half afraid to use a card most of the time!

Usually if its legit your ebay name will have been used in the introduction if its not its usually a scam of some sort.

In saying that doesnt mean it is legit if your ebay name is in the introduction, it was ebay themselves that told me that said they would never not use it and that if it doesnt have your ebay name in the introduction as in (Dear whoever we have just noticed ) ...does that make sense? then it isnt them ..i've probabaly just confused things even more :confused:

Maisie x x

It actually wasn't from Ebay, but from the fraud company Commercial Network Services which is a merchant anti-fraud service :(

Hi Karion

Have you checked your inbox in your ebay account as all legit emails from ebay will be copied to your account inbox. It seems a bit strange that the email wasn't directly from Ebay but from the fraud company. Problem with the scammers is that they know consumers are getting wise to them so they're getting very devious and doing double bluffs. Hope your email was legit and the problem is sorted.

Baileysandice

Right, after reading it about six times, I get it. God, it's badly written.

CNS are a hosting service or something. One of their clients (henceforth known as 'the fraudster') sent a load of spoof eBay emails in order to try to get people's email addresses. They're emailing you to warn you about it because you were one of the people that the fraudster emailed, that's all. Unless you clicked on the link in the original email from the fraudster, you're fine.

But the way it's written, when I first read it, I thought the fraudster was actually *using* your email address. He's just *sending spam to* your email address.

Kx

It actually wasn't from Ebay, but from the fraud company Commercial Network Services which is a merchant anti-fraud service :(

I've checked CNS out - this is just an email from a spammer's hosting provider basically warning you not to click on a link in the email that he sent you, and to watch out because you might get more spoof emails in future because "a phisher has your email address"! Unless you clicked on the link and filled in your details, nobody is using your account fraudulently :)

I've checked CNS out - this is just an email from a spammer's hosting provider basically warning you not to click on a link in the email that he sent you, and to watch out because you might get more spoof emails in future because "a phisher has your email address"! Unless you clicked on the link and filled in your details, nobody is using your account fraudulently :)

That's how I read it. I had clicked on a link though. I never click, never ever, but it was a typical "question from a buyer" ebay item. I clicked on the item, didn't recognise it, so ignored it and ignored the next two similar ones I got.

Thought at the time it was strange.

I know my account wasn't being used fraudulently, and it was just my email address that the phishers had, but it made such a change to have an email that was actually warning me about something for real...instead of being a spoof :D

I've used Ebay since it's very first days and had so many spoof emails. This was different though. I changed my password immediately

Interestingly, a friend of mine also received one yesterday. By the evening her account had been hijacked and she received a lovely message congratulating her on her car purchase!:eek:

She got onto ebay live and it's all being sorted.

Ah, cool. Well, if you've changed your password you should be safe now anyway.

I had my eBay account hacked without ever clicking on a link in an email. Still don't know how it happened. Fortunately I was online as it was happening so when the first listing confirmation email came through I was able to log on immediately and change my password. The weird thing was that even after I'd changed it the listings kept coming. Eventually eBay shut the account down completely so that I could manually reinstate it. Fortunately it was an inactive account - I'd have been royally hacked off if that had happened with all my active listings!

Back