Free Days?

ladyantionette

I havent seen any threads on this - As part of slimming world my sister always had a free day.

Does anyone else have a free day off slimming world? I have heard mixed thoughts on this - some saying it can give you a break, prevent you from falling off the wagon and give your metabolism a kick start.

I have also been told it can completley mess up your weight loss!

I would love to have a treat day - gives me something to look forward to.

Any ideas?

:p

Well I personally like to stick to plan, but I have found that the weeks I have been slightly 'naughtier' I have better losses, so there may be something in it. :D

I dont have any time off plan anymore....it does affect my weight loss. Perhaps i should be less strict sometimes, but i still have a balance of treats and stay within my syns for the week overall.

If i let myself go off plan for long i end up gorging on stuff which can only be described as cr$p!!!! its just crisps, chocs, cakes, donuts, pizzas, takeaways and suchlike. Its never good for me!

I used to have a post weigh in treat and still lose, but i never lost as much as if I HADNT had the treat - and plus i was always thinking during the week i wonder if i will have lost!!!! it was mind games with myself!!!

So - my advice is no -dont do it!!! x

If you have a day off every week then you're only going to get 6 days worth of slimming, instead of 7! I guess for some people it might not affect their losses, but for others it probably will.

The plan allows for flexi-syns, so I wouldn't have really thought there was a need for a day off every week to keep you on track, after all that's what syns are there for!

I guess if it keeps someone on track though then six days out of seven are better than none!

The plan allows for flexi-syns, so I wouldn't have really thought there was a need for a day off every week to keep you on track, after all that's what syns are there for!

I agree. The beauty of slimming world is that it's not a diet so I don't understand the concept of having a 'day off'.

You have 15 whole syns to spend a day and I know some people work them out weekly rather than daily. Plus there are the flexi-syns for special occasions.

I don't understand why anyone would need a free day when there's so much food you can eat on plan! Sure, you can't trough your way through a family sized bar of chocolate, but then that's not good for anyone! :D

If you do sruggle or fancy having a day off, maybe you could save some syns weekly to have something a bit naughty. There are lots of good recipes for junk food that have been slimmified, so chomping on a home made pizza and spending syns on a couple of beers would still feel like a treat rather than the empty feeling of wolfing down a greasy takeaway! :p

I don't think slimmified is a real word, but you know what I mean! :rolleyes:

When I did Slimming World years ago with my Mum, we always went the chippy on the way home from class. We convinced ourselves that we were having a "treat" for doing so well that week... or to make us feel better if we'd gained. Obviously, now I realise how stupid that was, and we were only making things harder for ourselves for the week ahead.

I'm not ultra mega strict with myself. I measure and weight things like my healthy extras, etc. of course, but if I go over a little on my syns, so what? I'll make up for it the next day. That's what I love about slimming world, though. There's no pressure to be perfect all the time.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is if you're content with losing less that week and feel a treat is worth it and helps you stay on track, go for it. But every week is just defeating the point of being on Slimming World.

I don't have a 'free day', gosh it wouldnt work for me if I did. I have to stick to the plan 100% or I don't lose weight. One of the downsides of PCOS I suppose :(

If I have a special occasion then I will treat myself to a night off for a meal out for example, but it would stop there. I wouldn't have the "full" day off so to speak. I would stick to SW as much as a could throughout the day.

I like to see SW as a way of life, and to be honest I don't ever feel like I am on a diet. The amount of free food we have available to us means I never get bored. I really do love the plan.

Last edited:
i dont have a free day as such but have found i usually treat myself on wi day.. although sometimes this is a bad thing cos if it is really really bad the motivation is gone so i am trying to knock this on the head, i "think" i read that you have to have 3500 extra calories to gain a pound, so when you think about it, pizza, chips, chocolate crisps, cake all on one day are going to add up to that and more making it harder to shift and then more the next week.. i'll be taking a leaf from my own book and not deprive myself but limit it to one choice a week if i really want it.. ( today after WI i went to macdonalds... i'll have all free foods for the rest of the day now and have a couple of low syn food days for the rest of the week.. i suppose this is flexisyns??

I don't really see the point in a day off, I see the plan as a way of eating for life not something to do to loose weight. As far as treat's are concerned isn't that what your syns are for, so that your not depriving yourself and therefore don't feel the need to have a day off to treat yourself. Maybe if it works for you then I don't see the harm, each to their own, it's your own personnal journey to enjoy the way you want. x

Well I think I will make better choices on saturday when usually id binge for my treat day.

I think il allow myself a treat meal with some wine on saturdays.

For me its simple... follow the plan, lose weight... or cheat and don't.

There is no "getting away with it"... if you don't follow the plan, eventually you will stop losing weight. You can't fool your body into thinking it is eating healthy!

You're either in or you're out! This is exactly what syns are for xxxxxxxxxxxx

I used to save up as many of my Syns as I could for a Sunday and use them on treats all in one go. It worked for me but everyone is different so it might not work for others.

I always (without fail) had a "treat" night after WI, and basically ate what I wanted. I had myself convinced it didn't really affect my losses, but in reality it probably has done, especially now when I'm struggling and just STS or losing half a lb each week :( x x

A lot of people i know do this..but i dont see the point in it tbh..I dont think i could do it then get back on plan the next day, my whole motivation would go.
I am having a night off 2moro night...for a meal and drinks with the OH, however i will stick to the plan during the day and will be back on track on wednesday ( would do the flexi syn but dont really understand it lol)

The only time I see it being used successfully is with people who are at target and maintaining. Some people choose not to increase their HEs every day and have one or two days off instead. It have never known anyone to do this while trying to lose and continue to lose. Most people sts or even gain, or find that once they have gone off plan for a day it is difficult to get back on the wagon. One off day leads to an off week and before you know it they are not coming to class any more.

I always (without fail) had a "treat" night after WI, and basically ate what I wanted. I had myself convinced it didn't really affect my losses, but in reality it probably has done, especially now when I'm struggling and just STS or losing half a lb each week :( x x

snap - for the first couple of stone it was fine, but as i weigh less i was still treating myself to the same amount of food!!! gah!

I now dont bother as i want to lose weight and it hinders my chances.

x

Well I might be due one of them soon after about 4 months without a day off plan.

I have been a dirty rotten cheat as had 4 meals off plan in that time.

Hangs head in shame:D

Whenever I've had a day off (either planned or by mistake!) I've always either sts or gained that week at weigh in.

I have managed to have the night off for a meal and still had a small loss though.

It definately gets harder to get away with the closer you get towards goal.

I can't get away with having a day off, as i always gain or stay the same. Some of the others at group do and they still lose. Best to see what works for you.

Back