Free food

Tracie Lou

At group tonight we had a stand in consultant who was very forceful with the notion that you will never put weight on eating free food and was telling people to eat as much free food as you want.

Is this incorrect? I was under the impression that you eat till satisfied and if you over eat even free food, you will put weight on. If so do you agree that telling a room of people with weight issues mainly from over eating that they can over eat and not put weight on because its free, is wrong?

It's common sense- eating too much of anything isn't good for you so you're absolutely right... You can't eat "unlimited" amounts of free food because it will make you gain weight? I'd have challenged her- or tell your actual C when you see him/her next.

I hate the inconsistencies between consultants.

I agree, portion size is very important and the way SW measure that is the 'feeling satisfied' bit of the plan. To my mind it isn't stressed anywhere near enough in class.

i don't see why calling someone an idiot would solve things- they are human after all, and before that they were members, just like you and me

my consultant says that you dont have to have the 1/3 superfree now, it's just emphasising on free food now

we are meant to eat for our own appetites- stop eating when we are satisfied, not full. 2 different things. something i didnt even realise when i started out

the thing is with me though, i have no off switch-so i can keep eating and eating and not feel full....i still wanna keep eating

thats why i think the superfree thing is important. to be honest- thats how it was explained in the first book i got, and i lost over 10 stone doing it that way- so im going to keep doing it....

I think that's wrong really . Most people are going to have issues with eating too much. I think its much healthier to encourage people to stop when full. Like Jodie said if we ate 25 potatoes a day thata going to be far more calories then we need! I hope no one from your group took it as gospel xxx

I've been thinking of the unlimited thing as similar to the unlimited texts on my mobile phone contract...it's unlimited subject to a fair usage policy. So yes, I can have as much free food as I want, as long as its within a reasonably ordinary amount. My appetite is huge but even I couldn't eat 25 potatoes a day, especially if I was eating the guideline 1/3 superfree (which is there to control your portions as well) too.

i don't see why calling someone an idiot would solve things- they are human after all, and before that they were members, just like you and me

my consultant says that you dont have to have the 1/3 superfree now, it's just emphasising on free food now

we are meant to eat for our own appetites- stop eating when we are satisfied, not full. 2 different things. something i didnt even realise when i started out

the thing is with me though, i have no off switch-so i can keep eating and eating and not feel full....i still wanna keep eating

thats why i think the superfree thing is important. to be honest- thats how it was explained in the first book i got, and i lost over 10 stone doing it that way- so im going to keep doing it....

I too religiously have my super free as I think that it's a key part of the plan in my opinion and it really makes a huge diff to my losses I even have sf as a part of my snacks

The super free is still as important as it was before; it's just worded differently in the new book, because people were thinking that they had to eat things like broccoli with their bacon and eggs just to get the superfree in!

At the end of the day, it's using your common sense.

Get your superfree in where you can, and stop eating when you feel you have had enough.

Unlimited - means you don't have to weigh or measure, but use your appetite as your control portion.

Free and super free WILL help you lose weight.

It's not weighing and measuring your HE's or not counting your syns or believing something is free when it's not, that will effect your weight loss. xx

I've been thinking of the unlimited thing as similar to the unlimited texts on my mobile phone contract...it's unlimited subject to a fair usage policy. So yes, I can have as much free food as I want, as long as its within a reasonably ordinary amount. My appetite is huge but even I couldn't eat 25 potatoes a day, especially if I was eating the guideline 1/3 superfree (which is there to control your portions as well) too.

I think that is a really good way of looking it actually. You should sell SW that idea ;)

They are of course only human and were once members themselves but as consultants they have a responsibility to their group imo and there is a diffference between eating as much free food as you want and eating till satisfied for lots of people.

For me the flexibility within the plans and guidelines is part of sw's charm but it also leaves it open to a lot of misenterpretations by some people and it also seems to include consultants.

Couldn't have said it better myself Ems! x

I don't think Jodie was calling her an idiot to be nasty just frustration over bad advice.

Consultants are only people but they also take quite a bit of money off the members in exchange for them teaching them the plan.

There's a fine line on sw between enjoying the plan and never being hungry and just eating and not loosing weight. To loose weight you need to cut back, make changes and try hard. It's not a miracle cure it is for all intense and purposes a weight loss aid and for that you can't just eat regardless.

from fat to skinny jeans only 48lb to go

I know sw doesn't want to be just known as 'the one with the syns'. My c did training recently and had been talking about 'the power of free food', wonder if that is what they were trying to get across and not doing it very well?

What a fantastic way if thinking about it! -Lightbulb moment- lol

I too feel that the 'stoping when you are full' bit is not promoted enough.

As a self-confessed binge eater who used to eat out of habit rather than hunger, when I first started SW I struggled to recognise when I was full.

Saying that, 8months on, I've now know when to stop and as you say, common sense prevails really. I like eggs but I can't eat a dozen a day and still lose weight.

Although SW doesn't promote calorie counting, ultimately, our intake against what we burn daily must create a deficit in order to lose weight. You can't do that whilst eating continuously.

Lol reading that I'm sitting on the fence a bit, clearly lol X

From my limited personal experience then the consultants don't all sing from the same hymn sheet and don't always get things right. For example, I got told the week before last all seeded bread should be counted and was not a healthy extra (I think she'd seen this on my food diary). Low and behold I went home and checked online and Hovis seed sensations is on the list of new healthy extra B's.

I could argue she should know better she's getting paid to advise me or I could argue she's only human and we all make mistakes. I think my advice is if you think something doesn't sound right, or you're in any doubt at all, get a second opinion.....:)

On my very first encounter with SW, the consultant sat us newbies round a large round table and told us that if we could eat "this table-top" of free food, all the better. I think that is a bad way of explaining it and there is a general agreement amongst members about eating until satisfied and not stuffed, exerting portion control and ensuring super-free is your first choice of snack (and 1/3 of your meals).

Looking at my new food optimising book it shows this......

"As well as all that fabulous superfree food, you can eat as much as you like of all this wonderfully satisfying free food. Remember, where you can to fill one third of your plate with superfree food".

I think this quote can be misleading to members because let's face it, not everyone can eat as much as they like and still lose weight, that's if people are abusing the plan by over eating & making themelves feel sick. As long as people are eating until they feel satisfied and not stuffing themselves silly then the plan will work.

I know from personal experience that I can't eat a huge plate of pasta/potatoes every day because its just too much.
I prefer to fill up on superfree and a small amount of free food. Those who can get away with it I say fair play ya lucky sods lol.
xxx

I think it's a little misleading to say you can eat unlimited free food, but I feel it's liberating to hear that at the same time. It works for me (when I'm actually sticking to it!) because I don't worry about weighing (I even eat Weetabix so I don't have to weigh it!) and measuring or running out of 'calories' by 4pm, but, like most of us, I don't use it as an excuse to binge just because I can.

The example we were given years ago was always, "You can eat a whole chicken and still lose weight", so the more sensible amongst us think, 'Oh, excellent, no weighing, I can just eat chicken', then eat a chicken breast as part of our (balanced) meal, whereas some people will take it as a challenge and attempt to eat the entire chicken!

I think common sense is essential. x

Back