Free or low syn savoury snacks

Atomic pink

Gold Member
Hi all. I have been following the SW principles at home alone and generally find them very easy to incorporate into my life and meals but I seem to have a sticking point when I get in from work at about 4:30pm. I like to have time to relax after work before cooking tea so don't want to have an earlier dinner and if I try really healthy options like an apple I tend to just want some "proper" food snack afterwards anyway.

I'm not really a sweet person so wondered what savoury snacks you rely on that feel sufficiently satisfying that you don't want anything else but are still healthy/ low syn enough not to muck up the day's planning?

I do a mixture of red/green/EE days so all ideas very very welcome.

I like to have 3 baby bel lights, (hexa) as a snack.

pot noodle in a mug :)

SW chips or SW wedges
Mug shots / Batchelors cup a pasta - tired cheesy one today was better than mugshot.
omlette/frittata
cook up quorn sausages / real sausages for RED to have as standby snacks

I love threads like this as I always come across new ideas! :)

I have a co-op wholemeal pitta (HEB) with either a chicken breast on a red day, or a meat free chicken fillet on a green day. I cook them on my george foreman grill or fry in fry light so doesn't take more than 10 mins to make. With salad and 0% fat yoghurt :) YUM YUM! Usually have when I get in from work as I'm always starving!

Ryvitas (HEB) with laughing cow is also filling and yum!

Great ideas guys.
I also try and cook extra new potatoes or hard boiled eggs - they're pretty good to snack on.
Also seafood sticks are free if you like them

Great ideas guys.
I also try and cook extra new potatoes or hard boiled eggs - they're pretty good to snack on.
Also seafood sticks are free if you like them

Do you have the potatoes cold? I always struggle to find snacks on a green day as read day I just snack on cold meats

SW Quiche is always a good stay by :)- just make sure you've made it with Free food for both days ie Mushrooms, onions, peppers etc then you can safetly dip in whenever and whatever day your on... Could always put this into a Pitta bread as well (make sure you count this in as Syns or HEXB though)

I usually have meat to scoff on red days or loads of fruit and green days Mug shots, baked beans, eggs, wedges etc..:)

Not too good on this EE malarkey yet so I only stick to Green and Red days.:(

Hope thats help a bit:)

Does anyone know if the Ready cooked chicken breast that you can buy - once you have removed the skin are free on a red day?:confused:

Do you have the potatoes cold? I always struggle to find snacks on a green day as read day I just snack on cold meats

Yep just snack on them straight from the fridge with a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Another one I do sometimes is cook extra SF roasties (potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips) in the night and blast these in the micro next day if I'm peckish after work. They're not crispy like when you first cook them, but nice with a splodge of EL salad cream

Hmm... probably sound really wierd now!! :p

Does anyone know if the Ready cooked chicken breast that you can buy - once you have removed the skin are free on a red day?:confused:

I would have thought so if you remove the skin, I would certainly count them as free. However I'm sure I've seen some threads on here about rotisserie chickens being injected with extra fat for succulence, so not sure if it would be the same for these...

Thanks sarah! I'll give it a go. YUM

I would have thought so if you remove the skin, I would certainly count them as free. However I'm sure I've seen some threads on here about rotisserie chickens being injected with extra fat for succulence, so not sure if it would be the same for these...

mmmm :confused:maybe they are synned then - think I'll double check it out before I eat them then. thanks

Thanks for all the ideas folks. I think i will try the quorn sausages, boiled eggs and chicken drumsticks next week (not all at once you understand!).
I always feel too guilty if I have something really substantial before tea like a mugshot or pitta bread and chicken and am therefore more likely to give up on the rest of the day. I know I shouldn't. I know theoretically it is completely within the plan but it just takes some getting used to. Maybe I should think about joining a group one of these days.

I always feel too guilty if I have something really substantial before tea like a mugshot or pitta bread and chicken and am therefore more likely to give up on the rest of the day. .

Nothing to be guilty about....... its all allowed. Keep trying to remember SW isn't really a diet but a healthy eating plan. If your hungry and want something like a mugshot, have one. Its all part of the plan. I know it is weird, but the more you eat the more you lose. As you eat better and healthier, you get more energy, doing more, burning up calories. Because your body knows its getting regular food it allows itself to not store 'fat'.

Back