Freezing homemade chips

pizzle84

I will do this!!!
I got a massive bag of potatoes from aldi the other day and im worried that they will got off and i'll have to chuck them. Can i cut the potatoes into chips ready for cooking and freeze them raw??

I've never tried freezing them, but I keep a huge sack in the dark, dry and cool and they keep for weeks x

mine have already started to get some condensation on them and there's LOADS of them to use up!! i'll move them into the cupboard but i think that might make them sprout now. It'd be really good if i could pre-cut them into chips though.

Yes, you can freeze them. I would par-boil them, not too much, then spread them out on trays and open-freeze them. Then portion them up and put them into freezer bags. That way they won't all freeze in one big lump!

cheers

I'd also suggest par-boiling them. Had chips tonight, they were so nice!

If you take them out of the plastic bag and store them in the dark in paper or a pillowcase or something in which they can 'breathe' they will be fine. It's only the plastic that causes the condensation. I never, EVER keep vegetables of any sort in the plastic they come in. Potatoes will last weeks/months in a dry, dark place.

I never really worry about them going off. I once had a sack of them for 2 months and they were fine. Cut the eyes off and you're good to go. Haha Xx

I never really worry about them going off. I once had a sack of them for 2 months and they were fine. Cut the eyes off and you're good to go. Haha Xx

I do the same!!

You could stick them all in the oven in foil and bake them then freeze them whole and take em out as you need them :) that way you can cut off the skins and reheat and use em for mash, or use for roasties, chips baked potatos or potato skins.

Back