French toast/Eggy Bread update

Minders

Finding inspiration
Oh my goodness... I had my creative head on this morning. I was determined I was going to have french toast for breakfast this weekend, given the recent discussions about it. So I got a 400g wholemeal loaf so I could use two slices as a HexB. And did the usual, beat an egg with a little milk and mixed in some ground cinnamon. Put in the bread and left it to soak up all the eggy/cinnamon mixture. Meanwhile, I put some blueberries in a small saucepan with a dash of water and simmered them, squishing them as they started swelling from the heat, added a dash of agave syrup (you could use sweetener) and simmered it down until it was a simple, fresh blueberry sauce. Took maybe 8-10 minutes. Stuck a couple pieces of bacon under the grill, cooked the eggy bread slices with a bit of fry light til golden. Put them on the plate, blueberry sauce on top, a couple slices of bacon on the side. Heaven!

OK, so it's not the buttery, sugary french toast of my youth :rolleyes: but Slimming World is all about re-training yourself to eat better and find new and exciting tastes. And this defintely is one of them! The cinnamon gives the bread a sort of sweet taste and really lifts the flavour. The blueberry sauce is just indulgence on a plate! Lovely!!!!!!:D

Sounds yummy!! If you were being strict you'd have to syn the blueberries because they're cooked down but even then it wouldn't be very high in syns! I'll have to give this a go!

What's agave syrup?

Agave nectar is a natural sweetner, and low GI. It's taken from the agave plant, which is a sort of cactus/succulent plant (though technically not a cactus). It tastes a like golden syrup. You can use it like honey though you need less of it, and you use less of it than you would granulated sugar. For instance, if you put a small spoonful of honey in a drink, it might make it taste odd unless you put more in to bring it up to a level that it started tasting sweet, and it would change the flavour because honey has it's own taste. Whereas agave just sweetens like sugar, but is a naturally occuring form so it doesn't give you the peaks and troughs like sugar does, and doesn't change the flavour. It's fantastic. I don't use a lot of sugar, but when I do just need a dash of something, I always use agave. A bottle lasts me ages. You can buy it in most supermarkets now.

I used only part of a thing of blueberries for this. Maybe a cupped handful, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over the syns!

Just an aside...I have a perfume that's blue agava :)

Your french toast sounds absolutely lush. Good experimenting!

How strange! I had blueberries on mine this morning, not boiled but I do warm them in the mic for a bit so that they're not fridge cold. I drizzled 2 tsps of warmed damson jam over the top of that. I actually look forward to breakfast when it's french toast. Oh and also Morrisons sausage sandwiches are worth waking up for.
The mango is still the yummiest I've done so far but the blueberries were lush too. I'm bananaing next :)

SW far and away the most delicious diet going! x

Putting it on french toast lol
We're trying to find more interesting breakfasts, I've always been a Fruit & Fibre lover but an ounce is microscopic and pretty much a waste of a HEb unless used with fruit and yog. French toast is the way forward :) totally delish x

mmmm! Subscribed to this thread for when I'm tired of porridge and Muller yoghurts for brekkie!

You are all going to think i'm a dafty but i soak my bread in egg then i put it in the george foreman and cook. It cleans easily. I do this as it always sticks to my frying pan coz i don't use oil, even with fry light it sticks. So i do it in george then serve with tomato sauce yum yum. Have never tried it sweet though.

Am also a sweet eggy bread convert :D love it with a chopped banana!
That's good to know about the George Foreman - had forgotten it was so versatile :)

Sweet eggy bread... nooo! It's all about the classic, no frills, original tomato ketchup for me. :p

Sweet eggy bread... nooo! It's all about the classic, no frills, original tomato ketchup for me. :p
Ah yes, but you see... what defines a "classic" depends on what you're used to... having grown up in America, to me the "classic" is the sweet version... the thought of ketchup on it leaves me reeling in horror!

Minders said:
Oh my goodness... I had my creative head on this morning. I was determined I was going to have french toast for breakfast this weekend, given the recent discussions about it. So I got a 400g wholemeal loaf so I could use two slices as a HexB. And did the usual, beat an egg with a little milk and mixed in some ground cinnamon. Put in the bread and left it to soak up all the eggy/cinnamon mixture. Meanwhile, I put some blueberries in a small saucepan with a dash of water and simmered them, squishing them as they started swelling from the heat, added a dash of agave syrup (you could use sweetener) and simmered it down until it was a simple, fresh blueberry sauce. Took maybe 8-10 minutes. Stuck a couple pieces of bacon under the grill, cooked the eggy bread slices with a bit of fry light til golden. Put them on the plate, blueberry sauce on top, a couple slices of bacon on the side. Heaven!

OK, so it's not the buttery, sugary french toast of my youth :rolleyes: but Slimming World is all about re-training yourself to eat better and find new and exciting tastes. And this defintely is one of them! The cinnamon gives the bread a sort of sweet taste and really lifts the flavour. The blueberry sauce is just indulgence on a plate! Lovely!!!!!!:D

Hiya Minders

Sorry to interrupt your thread hun, just wanted to know how you upload a profile pic? I'm stumped? I've done tons of postings and can see my profile ok

Thanks ;)

Freanch toast is my favourite :D could eat it for every meal given the opportunity! A wee tip is to use yogurt instead of milk when mixing the eggs, i find the toast holds together way better this way plus you could get experimental and use flavoured yogurts!

oooo today i did something amazing with my french toast :D i put a bit of vanilla essence in to the egg mixture- like eating cake! if you made two slices and put sugarfree jam and fat free vanilla yogurt with raspberries inbetween them you could kid yourself into having a cakelike brekkie everyday for half a syn! :D

Back