Fresh Beetroot

StaceyUK

Gold Member
Am making roasted fresh beetroot sprinkled with some of my cajun seasoning tonight. Never had fresh beetroot but love the pickled variety so fingers crossed I like it!

ETA - just had a quick sneaky taste and it's really yummy! Really glad I've discovered a new veg to add to my 1/3 superfree repetoire. LOL Oh, and the cajun spice gives a lovely kick. Next time I'll chop mine a bit chunkier because they went a little too burnt and chewy!

Last edited:
Hi Stacey,

If you can find them raw then the roast lovely, I use balsamic vinegar and season mine and they are lush....I love beetroot so much I buy at least 8 raw bulbs each week and roast it/make my own beetroot salad/grate it into normal salads raw, boil it as a veg on a Roast dinner.....versatile (although beware I have been told its an aphrodisiac and it makes your wee pink!!)

Claire x

just bought 3 non pickled beetroot in market yesterday. they already going white- what do i do with them - just roast em? how long for ? thanks

I love fresh beetroot, I put it in a roasting tray with carrots, parsnips and red onion, bit of salt and some mixed herbs, olive oil (2 syns per teaspoon) and roast it all together till caramelized. Is delicious with cooked pasta and feta cheese.

Also don't throw away the leaves, they can be washed, steamed and eaten just like any other greens.

:)

Sorry to be a beetroot dunce but how do you cut it? Slice it into rounds/wedges/sticks?

I really like pickled beetroot and often have it in salads but I love the idea of roasting it with carrots and red onions...

Thanks!

Sorry to be a beetroot dunce but how do you cut it? Slice it into rounds/wedges/sticks?

I really like pickled beetroot and often have it in salads but I love the idea of roasting it with carrots and red onions...

Thanks!

Make sure you thoroughly wash and scrub the outside layer of the beetroot, and then just cut it up however you like, there is no right or wrong way. I tend to cut my into quite large chunks.

I love fresh beetroot, I put it in a roasting tray with carrots, parsnips and red onion, bit of salt and some mixed herbs, olive oil (2 syns per teaspoon) and roast it all together till caramelized. Is delicious with cooked pasta and feta cheese.

Also don't throw away the leaves, they can be washed, steamed and eaten just like any other greens.

:)

Urmm agree with you there britmum beetroot is so nice and versatile too. I think will be getting some beets nest time i'm in asda

Back