Fruity's Fight Against Fat!

I am new to this forum and am really touched at the level of support I have received so far in order to help me get through the first few days of Lighter Life. :D

Food. I LOVE it. I love the smells, the tastes and how it can be presented. I have enjoyed a great burger which has left me feeling stuffed and enjoyed A La Carte where I barely felt I ate anything. Lovely stuff. (Let's not talk about the wine yet!)

Food has always been an important part of my life in relation to culture and celebration. I think that is the case with most people and therefore there can be nothing wrong with enjoying food. However I am here and now on day 5 of LL and feel a bit better than I have done over recent days.

Today I have decided to start my diary in order to put my thoughts down and fight them out. The sabotaging by my chatterbox has begun and it is getting more powerful by the hour.

My current thought is "Is there anything I can eat which won't take me out of Ketosis?"

Bad. Sabotaging. Already my chatterbox is starting to try and get me to eat food. I have stopped myself googling the above sentence because I feel that will be giving into my chatterbox and potentially on the road to eating before the day is out. It is constantly swirling round inside me; if I can find a food that I can eat without coming out of Ketosis then I can eat it in secret and nobody will know. I tell myself firmly - NO. Earlier in the kitchen the thought was so powerful I ended up chanting to myself "I CAN do this, I WILL do this" several times until the thought in my head passed.

I am planning dinner for tonight. Today is a big day for DD(9) at school so I am going to do something lovely for the family. I have considered recipes but the strange thing is I don't visualise myself sitting at the table with the family eating dinner.

However my brain wants me to eat something - but in a way that nobody will find out.

I am keeping busy with little things around the house albeit I am feeling very fatigued at the moment and trying to keep my motivation bolstered by reading success stories and how other people are getting through tough times.

Halfway through Day 5 and I am standing firm in the face of it all. Bring it on! :vibes:

Well done on getting started with LL!! Thats fantastic that you have got through the first few days.

Ive read up a bit on LL and it looks like a really useful plan to be on, are you in a group yet? I like the way they try to get to the bottom of why you overeat to start with. Im not on it myself, but if i started to struggle i think i would definately consider it.

You are obviously suffering withdrawal symptoms of carbs, Its hellish to go through, but give it another week and you will come out the other side in control. You really must avoid eating anything other than on your plan, its damned expensive to do and you dont want to go sabotaging yourself at this stage. Maybe you could talk it through with some of the other people in your group or the group leader? Im sure everyone has the same demons to battle, it might help to talk about it with others going through the same thing.

You made me laugh when you say you just want to eat something in secret lol. Secret from who? Its your stomach the food is going into not anyone elses lol. Just cos no one else sees it doesnt mean it wont count lol.

Keep strong, you are doing fantastically, and im sure the results will make the struggle more than worthwhile.

Sill question but what is a ketosis? & well done for lasting five days on your diet...you can do it. :)

Lynn - thanks for your reply! Your comment about eating in secret made me laugh too! I don't think of the fact I will be putting pounds on if I eat in secret but more the issue of people criticising me if I was to eat in front of them - hence doing it in secret. I started a group last Thursday full of returners and there was even somebody I know there that I had not seen in years! We text each other on a daily basis now to ensure the other is still on the wagon! ;)

Hope - Ketosis is a state the body moves into when it has used all its reserves from your Glycogen stores and begins to burn the fat from your body for energy. Took me a long time to understand that one!! :)

Just to help clarify for Hope123, it is neccesary to inhibit to a large degree carbohydrate from your diet to get into ketosis, as carbs will replenish the glycogen stores fairly rapidly, stopping the ketosis from happening. In Ketosis your body is more or less forced to burn fat from your fat cells resulting in a faster weight loss.

If you are on a diet of say, 1100 calories, you will lose weight quicker if you cut out carbs (all starchy foods such as bread, flour, pasta, rice, as well as sugar and most fruit) and concentrate on spending your 1100 calories on more lean meat and salad for instance (or specificly designed food replacements such as cambridge and lighterlife), than you would by just eating a more 'normal' diet that included those type of foodstuffs.

Is there a moderator who can move this diary to the LL Diaries section please? Thank you :)

*deep breath*

I had my first weigh in on Thursday night and my first week's loss was 11.5lbs.

However, the following morning, I lost complete control. :break_diet:

It is strange, it was almost like I felt exhausted mentally keeping to the diet. So on Friday I had 3 shakes and a slice of Apple pie.

On Saturday I had no packs and another slice of Apple pie. We had a serious problem with my DH's business yesterday and that took up 3 hours of stressing trying to remedy things, which we did. We were going to take the girls to the movies at 6pm but missed the film so we hired on instead and the girls got popcorn to eat with the film, which I had a handful of. Today we went visiting a family member who had cooked a lovely chicken lunch to which I had a very small portion of. My band stops me eating huge portions but I still ate nonetheless. This evening I have eaten a few chocolate fudge which were left from the girls yesterday in the lounge.

However through all of this I have maintained my water intake. My worry is that all the weight I have lost last week will reduce this week by me gaining however I am getting my head around waking up tomorrow morning and getting back into the saddle again and galloping through the day.

I don't regret eating the food. I regret losing control. My head was well and truly in the zone on Thursday night so I cannot account for the lapse on Friday morning.

I had quite a nasty accident on Thursday accident in public which has left me with nasty extensive bruising over both lower legs and feet so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it - maybe feeling sorry for myself? Embarrassment? Not sure.

I have not lost the motivation to lose weight but I need to try harder to spot potential lapses and invoke a coping strategy before the lapse actually happens.
:doh:

First off, congrats on the fantastic weight loss, thats amazing!

Sounds like you have had a very stressful and difficult few days, so sorry to hear about your accident, sounds like that was quite a shock to your body and no doubt accounted for going off the rails somewhat. But look, dont sweat it to much, regretting it now isnt going to turn the clock back. Get straight back on your diet plan, and you will be fine. Dont let one or 2 bad incidents be the reason for not following through, you can still turn this around and still get a great weight loss this week.

Good luck with it, and next week things will look a lot better.

Today I have woken up with lots to do. I am fully motivated although I do find my mind wandering to food regularly. We are about to go on the market to sell our house and are doing it up accordingly. This week I have the following to do:

Rip up old carpets
New ones to be fitted
New beds being delivered
Hallway upstairs and down being redecorated
New fencing out front being erected with gates
Garage door and exterior paintwork being repainted
Clearing out of junk inside
Varnishing hall floors and stair rails.
Industrial strength floor scourer for kitchen being hired Friday.
Back garden patio being finished
Back garden to be strimmed and tidied.
Skip being delivered.

I have lots this week to keep me busy and I also have college 3 days this week so if I lapse just once through this week so help me god I will slap myself.

Onwards and upwards!

This is hard. Just had a REAL moment of stress which lead me straight to the kitchen to make a coffee, slice up two slices of Jamaica Ginger cake and 3 Digestive biscuits. I took it through to the lounge and sat and looked at it. And looked at it and looked at it some more.... The temptation to eat it was HUGE!

Then the doorbell rang which took me on a different course and by the time I had dealt with that and returned to the lounge the craving had passed.

I feel exhausted now. :sigh:

You know, I have to ask the question why you even have ginger cake and biscuits in the house lol. I tell everyone to clear out their cupboards and throw all the tempting stuff away, so the family will suffer, so what lol.

Anyway, well done on getting past the urge :)

Lynn - I have 5 kids in my family, none of whom have weight problems and I have a fully stocked cupboard for them. Don't see the point in them being denied their treats.

Besides I view a huge part of my weight loss as learning to live with food and accepting it may be there but I don't have to eat it. Difficult but I think raising kids is harder!!

Back