Frustrated! Help?!

tlr.x

Hiii :)

I was diagnosed with PCOS around 2 years ago, when I was 17, however my periods had been irregular (every 2-3 months) since I was 14.

My GP prescribed Metformin, but it made me sick, so I was started on Glucophage (slow release Metformin) but it just hasn't worked AT ALL!

I've been back to my Doctor and seen a different GP and he said that because I haven't had a period since last August that I would need to have a period induced by some tablet? And that it was extremely unhealthy to not have at least 3 periods a year, however I'd never been told this before by my normal GP, and last week when I mentioned these so called tablets to him he said he's never heard of such things and that it's VERY unlikely that I will ever have another period.

I might add that this GP knows that I am TTC and it's very clear that he doesn't approve because of my age (even though I'm in a very good relationship and have been for 5 years, and moved in with my now Fiance almost 2 years ago, not that it's any of his business lol!)

Anyway, back to the point, has anyones period stopped for this length of time and then restarted again either naturally or with the help of medication? And has anyone gotten pregnant in a situation like this? Annnnnnd.. has anyone had any of these 'tablets' that induce periods?!

Thanks very much for any advice given :)

hi there

i smypathise with your situation, i started ttc with pcos at 18 when i got married,but got no help only judgement frm drs and now at 34 i still have no children as it was years before i could afford ivf and it turns out i have more issues than just pcos causing miscarriages ect. so be sure and perservere with it, and change doctors if you have to , to get one that is helpful.

the tablets they are referring to are primulate, they are taken for 5-10 days then you have a withdrawl bleed from them which is a period, they dont help you get pg but sometimes just having a period makes us pcos ladies feel more normal, lol, clomid is the drug that could help you get pg if your pcos is mild. i am given primulet to start a period on my ivf cycles as i dont have regular cycles of my own.

also taking the herb angus catcus helps some ladies ovulate with pcos as its supposed to help regulate hormones, that can be got in any health shop.

good luck

rosebud

Hiii :)

I was diagnosed with PCOS around 2 years ago, when I was 17, however my periods had been irregular (every 2-3 months) since I was 14.

My GP prescribed Metformin, but it made me sick, so I was started on Glucophage (slow release Metformin) but it just hasn't worked AT ALL!

I've been back to my Doctor and seen a different GP and he said that because I haven't had a period since last August that I would need to have a period induced by some tablet? And that it was extremely unhealthy to not have at least 3 periods a year, however I'd never been told this before by my normal GP, and last week when I mentioned these so called tablets to him he said he's never heard of such things and that it's VERY unlikely that I will ever have another period.

I might add that this GP knows that I am TTC and it's very clear that he doesn't approve because of my age (even though I'm in a very good relationship and have been for 5 years, and moved in with my now Fiance almost 2 years ago, not that it's any of his business lol!)

Anyway, back to the point, has anyones period stopped for this length of time and then restarted again either naturally or with the help of medication? And has anyone gotten pregnant in a situation like this? Annnnnnd.. has anyone had any of these 'tablets' that induce periods?!

Thanks very much for any advice given :)

I was 'lucky' I saw a consultant at 21 when we started ttc who thought a woman my age shouldn't have any problems and rather than wait it needed investigating. I remember the cycles taking about 6-8 weeks, taking provera to induce a bleed then I took clomid. I would add at that point I was approx 13stone. I didn't concieve on clomid but rather when we were taking a break as ttc as you know can be very stressful. Can you ask your gp to refer you to gynae who confirmed pcos?

I've got an appointment with a gynae next month, just worried that he's gunna have exactly the same outlook as my GP and tell me to wait! The way I see it, I want nothing more than to start a family, we have all the support we need as we both have big families, and the sooner I ttc the more chance I have of putting a problem right.. Doctors just don't seem to see it from my point of view! So bloody annoying having someone to tell you how you 'should' be living just because they've got a few degrees! Lol

Thanks very much for your help :) x

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago and my periods have come and gone for most of the time since then. Very occasionally I'll have a period naturally, maybe once or twice a year. The rest of the time I take the tablets the 2nd GP told you about to induce a bleed once every 3 months (my gynae told me to have 4 periods a year minimum). I take the same ones rosebud_41 takes and have no side effects from them (though the first time I took them I had the period to end all periods - it was horrific!). In between times one might naturally appear on it's own as the Primolut can sort of 'reset' your cycle and so you may well bleed naturally 28 days or whatever after the induced period ends.

I'm not TTC so haven't taken any steps down that road but I know that gynaes are much more responsive to PCOS sufferers once they're considering trying for a baby.

I've got an appointment with a gynae next month, just worried that he's gunna have exactly the same outlook as my GP and tell me to wait! The way I see it, I want nothing more than to start a family, we have all the support we need as we both have big families, and the sooner I ttc the more chance I have of putting a problem right.. Doctors just don't seem to see it from my point of view! So bloody annoying having someone to tell you how you 'should' be living just because they've got a few degrees! Lol

Thanks very much for your help :) x

I agree it can be very frustrating. What I found useful was to go into appts with all information to hand - you probably already do this. I had a spreadsheet which listed every appointment I'd had who I'd seen (as you know it is not often you see the actual Consultant) - medications / advice given any bleeding (including severity). I also charted my bbt and took these with me - although some were more interested in this than others. Basically be as prepared as you can. If they haven't seen you in a while make sure they know you've lost x lbs in weight. Good luck.

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago and my periods have come and gone for most of the time since then. Very occasionally I'll have a period naturally, maybe once or twice a year. The rest of the time I take the tablets the 2nd GP told you about to induce a bleed once every 3 months (my gynae told me to have 4 periods a year minimum). I take the same ones rosebud_41 takes and have no side effects from them (though the first time I took them I had the period to end all periods - it was horrific!). In between times one might naturally appear on it's own as the Primolut can sort of 'reset' your cycle and so you may well bleed naturally 28 days or whatever after the induced period ends.

I'm not TTC so haven't taken any steps down that road but I know that gynaes are much more responsive to PCOS sufferers once they're considering trying for a baby.

I would second that, in my experience gynae have been far more pro-active when they you are ttc.

Back