Frustrating!

sugar_lipswales

Silver Member
I've got a friend who I used to work with who has always been on the big side and constantly doing this crazy diet or that, she's so desperate to lose weight that she's now trying tablets from a clinic called Albany Slimming Clinic in Newport. She pays £49 for a months supply and they give her some pretty bad side effects like the shakes, tiredness, agitation, severe headaches, foul tasting mouth and no appetite but has lost 2 stone in 8 weeks. I can't find anything online about this clinic other than it exists (nothing about the science behind the tablets or what's in them even!) and surely this fact and the list of side effects cannot be right?
I and so many people have told her that these tablets sound dangerous and they're no long term solution to her weight problems but she's so desperate to have a 'beach body' in 18 months that she will NOT listen. I know you can never force someone to listen to advice and they will make their own mistakes regardless but it's so frustrating! She's so lovely and deserves to have success in weight loss but I can't help but feel she might be doing herself harm *sigh*

sugar_lipswales said:
I've got a friend who I used to work with who has always been on the big side and constantly doing this crazy diet or that, she's so desperate to lose weight that she's now trying tablets from a clinic called Albany Slimming Clinic in Newport. She pays £49 for a months supply and they give her some pretty bad side effects like the shakes, tiredness, agitation, severe headaches, foul tasting mouth and no appetite but has lost 2 stone in 8 weeks. I can't find anything online about this clinic other than it exists (nothing about the science behind the tablets or what's in them even!) and surely this fact and the list of side effects cannot be right?
I and so many people have told her that these tablets sound dangerous and they're no long term solution to her weight problems but she's so desperate to have a 'beach body' in 18 months that she will NOT listen. I know you can never force someone to listen to advice and they will make their own mistakes regardless but it's so frustrating! She's so lovely and deserves to have success in weight loss but I can't help but feel she might be doing herself harm *sigh*

Sugar lips, youre doing the best thing you can which is telling your friend about your concern and unfortunately thats all you can do. At the end of the day its their body and their choice what they put into it. As youve said above youre friend sees the short term benefits of losing weight as out weighing the long term side effects, so is probably not willing to listen to anything negative you have to say. Do your best to support them in eating healthy and exercise but dont get drawn into discussion re the pills unless they want support in coming off them.

Sugar lips, youre doing the best thing you can which is telling your friend about your concern and unfortunately thats all you can do. At the end of the day its their body and their choice what they put into it. As youve said above youre friend sees the short term benefits of losing weight as out weighing the long term side effects, so is probably not willing to listen to anything negative you have to say. Do your best to support them in eating healthy and exercise but dont get drawn into discussion re the pills unless they want support in coming off them.

I'll put my hands up to the fact that I've used slimming pills in the past.. They are uppers!!!

As Funky Monkey says. Your doing the best you can. I would hope the clinic is checking her heart rate when she goes in as being uppers they make you go on overdrive. Speaking from experience she will come down with a crash once she comes off of them :( I thought controls had been brought in about these kind of pills??

I'll put my hands up to the fact that I've used slimming pills in the past.. They are uppers!!!

As Funky Monkey says. Your doing the best you can. I would hope the clinic is checking her heart rate when she goes in as being uppers they make you go on overdrive. Speaking from experience she will come down with a crash once she comes off of them :( I thought controls had been brought in about these kind of pills??

That's what worries me when I try and fail to find anything about them online, if they were backed up by research surely they's have a website etc?
Are they like amphetimine based or something?

This is a difficult one..... you are looking out for your friend's best interests, but she just wants to lose weight.

At the moment, the tablets are being seen as her "quick fix". Saying negative things about her tablets will not penetrate her mindset and you will just be seen as jealous, not wanting her to be slim too.

Instead I would not mention the diet tablets. She needs to make up her own mind that she can follow a diet, which does not have side effects. When you can see her focus on the pills starting to wane, casually mention other diets which give good weight loss.

best of luck xx

Back