fuel boycott

pamella

For the rest of this year DON'T PURCHASE ANY petrol FROM the two
biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce
their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will
have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally
millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

I remember 'we' tried doing this a few years ago. Did it work? I think not.

And remember the fuel strikes c10years ago, when nobody could buy petrol because there was none. That didn't have an impact.

Unfortunately 'we' are too small & insignificant to make a difference.

What needs to happen is that the fuel strikes need to happen again but this time they need to concentrate their efforts on London, last time London was hardly affected, if London was affected the politicians would do something about it, I still do not think though that it will solve the problem long term. I am in the unfortunate position of working for a company which supplies these companies with products to drill for crude oil and while the price is breaking my bank it is also keeping me in work....but something has to be done, I need to go & fill up today & I am dreading the cost of it.

As expensive as petrol is it's still cheaper than what bus fares would cost me!

As expensive as petrol is it's still cheaper than what bus fares would cost me!

I guess it depends where you live.
For me, while I still worked before being 1005 self employed, it was much cheaper catching a bus. I paid £16.50 a week, and had no parking fees either.

A boycott will have no effect on fuel prices, which are affected by many different factors, including exchange rates and taxation. But it may have unintended consequences, such as the closing of some petrol stations.

This is from today's Times - it refers to the effects of the expected fall in demand for fuel as the price rises, but boycotts could have similar effects:

Retailers are preparing for the impact of the increase and predict that hundreds of filling stations will have to close as the demand for fuel declines. Rural areas will be the hardest hit as the price rise coincides with a dramatic increase in business rates paid by shops attached to petrol stations. The filling station and its convenience store have become a lifeline for many remote communities.

Petrol price hits record high - and could be 5p more by summer

I also wonder what the alternative would be eg if it is to buy from supermarkets - who supplies their petrol - I don't think Tesco or Sainsburys have any oil rigs?
I have to have my car for work contractually although I don't use it a lot and am putting about £100 per month in whereas before it was about £70 - 80!

Unfortunately (no actually it's wonderful!) I live in a rural area and we only have buses (4) on a saturday, so we have to have a car. I get my petrol at the local supermarket because a) it's convenient and b) it's cheaper than anywhere else.

Back